Lost Planet

Discussion in 'Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Jan 11, 2007.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I played the demo for a while. I found it hard to get into. It is a fully online demo, if you have live give it a try. I don't plan on buying it, unless it becomes huge, in which case I will feel obligated to buy it, like Halo 2, which I do not truly enjoy, I just play so I can compete against my friends.

3. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

yes this game looks great. I preordered it so hopefully it'll be here soon (don't normally preorder but I got $10 off Viva Pinata so couldn't resist). I don't play very many shooters but the third person adventure aspect of this game bought me. And also, to the guy above, there is a one player demo also not just the multiplayer (its a separate download though).

4. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Yes, I can't wait. I pre-ordered it and picking up tomorrow. It is supposed to come with a Vital Suit action figure. Not a big deal but its free.

5. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I was not aware, i will download that and give it another shot. Thanks.

Oh, and "barr08" takes less time to type than "the guy above" :D

Just bustin your balls

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I absolutely loved the single player demo, I thought it was amazing when it first came out. I was really looking forward to trying the multiplayer demo, but once I got it, I wasn't into it as much as I hoped I would have been. I don't know why, just something didn't feel right.

The only thing that disappoints me about this game is the fact that there is no co-op mode for the campaign. I really have come to find that to be my favorite part about shooters, being able to play with my roommates or friends online. Gears of War got it perfect, I was hoping for something similar. I'm surprised that co-op isn't standard on games now, it just adds that much more replay value to the game.

I know the game with be great, but my excitement has been a little deflated since the so-so multiplayer demo and lack of co-op. I'll still end up getting it, but probably not right away.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I will be buying it.. but I'm much more excited about Mass Effect.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll be picking up my copy in the morning, along with Wario Ware.
    One of the few times Europe gets it a few days before you :p

Give me a shout/invite when you see me online with it. I loved the demo's.

Should be a killer game.

Does that make you feel better Sky Blue ;)

Check out Wii Sports. It too got 6.5 - but is a great game
    You liked Red Steel didn't you ? oh best not check that page, it got a 5 ;)

10. shortyjj macrumors regular

Going to pick this up as a rental, too many other A-list titles to look forward to.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Famitsu Magazine seemed to really go for it - surprising

also

Team Xbox Review 8.4
    http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1279/Lost-Planet/p1/

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

never played it.

13. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Looks good, though I'm still after Gears of War or Saints Row

14. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

So I was looking forward to it... Until I played it... Not buying it anymore. :(

15. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Must admit the good reviews got me thinking about buying it after what I considered a so-so demo... but I think I'll err on the side of caution and rent it instead...

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Picked it up and had a good hour blast and certainy say It's better than the demo. I prefer it to GOW to be honest.

I'll post a review after I've played more.

Also picked up WarioWare for the Wii. :)

17. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Hurry up with that review would ya....I'm about to go get it;)
    The level looks awesome and big and how are the weapons.....to me it looks like they got some sticky bombs in the game..

Bless

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

offtopic:
    how's wario ware ?

i thought about picking up this or elebits (or eledees or howevery they want to rename it in europe) in februar so i'd really like your opinion on it

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For once I beat everyone to the goal with this one :p got it yesterday.

It really is like any other WarioWare. Quick to complete, easy, insanely fun. My mum didn't understand it at all, then again she came to that conclusion from watching the Disco guys intro animation.
    The games are great, the controls work perfectly. The mini games are absurdly addictive. Multiplayer has to be unlocked (beat single player). Best title music ever, IMO.

But it definitely won't be for everyone. The absurdity of the series peaks in this one.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

edit : I apologize in advance for bad grammar and spelling, but I'm trying to type and play the game at the same time. Damn I wish I was an octopus ;)

Initial Impressions

When starting the game you are prompted to update - so I did that straight away

Menu system is minimal.

Starting new campaign

Intro is a mix of in-game engine cut-scene and narration with a few still images.

Graphically this is WOW. utterly amazing with some of the best explosions and ricochet (similar to fears), All the effects, focus, blur, bloom & HDR all rendered to impressive effect at 1080i

Audio through out is amazing score. Really cinematic orchestral opus.

Then the game starts.

Graphically its the same as the cut-scenes so you know its all good. With great reflection, anti aliasing etc.

Now to mention the game is NOT easy, even on easy. I'm playing normal but it tough cookie, but not as frustratingly so as GOW

No major spoiler here as its only the first 5-6 mins ;)

Your inside a base with your team. and pretty soon if your fighting the beasts from the intro.

You enter a room and it opens and it looks like a city - massive. You shoot a few flying creatures and nests, all of sudden the ground shakes. You turn around and :eek:

The game is explosive, with some of the most impressive booms and bangs in a game.

So far about 1 hour in - its hot. (for a game set in the cold ;) )

Story is compelling.

Definitely if you like action games, pick this up.

Certainly as impressive as GOW, but I prefer the game-play here to GOW.

A proper review shall follow, but its looking like a serious contender here folks for game of 2007 and we've only just begun.

Haven't played Wario yet.

additionally just discovered you can play the game if first person or third person by pressing up or down on the dpad. Nifty.

21. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Thats cool. I am going to download the single player demo to see whats up. I didn't really like the multiplayer demo.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Single player demo has 2 levels. 1 is the same level as on the multiplayer demo.

The other is actually the first mission in the retail version. The first mission has some new features not in the demo one.

Also they have tightened up controls It feels really intuitive now, I thought the demo was a bit clunky. not sure what they have done exactly, maybe make it more responsive ?

---

co-op - unfortunetly none for the main story.

But 2-16 player online arena modes,

Will play multiplayer later when more people on my FL report in :)

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I want to grab Lost Planet, but that won't be happening for at least a week or three. :(

Thanks for the info, MRU. :)

24. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

Looks pretty good. I'd probably pick it up...if I had a 360. Just not enough games that interest me to justify buying one (yet).