Lost remote

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JoshMKB24, Jan 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

JoshMKB24

I'm assuming my only solution is buying a new one? I do have the remote app so its not that big of a deal. I looked on Apple's website and they didn't have anything besides schedule a call. Didn't really feel like scheduling a call for something I'm pretty sure they won't just send me a new one :)

2. macrumors 6502

yea buy a new one.. i dont assume u were expecting them to send u one for free?

3. simsaladimbamba

Since you lost it, it is not Apple's responsibility to get you a new one, for that you have to spend the 19 USD or less, if you find it used on eBay.

4. macrumors regular

A universal remote will work too, such as a Logitech Harmony series, that's what I use on my Apple TV.

5. macrumors regular

Misread your post- never mind thanks

6. macrumors 6502a

I need the "find my remote" app.

7. macrumors 6502

JoshMKB24

Nah, I was seeing what other options were out there. However I saw the suggestion of using a Logitech universal remote. I have the Harmony 1, so I'll probably try to sync that up. Thanks!

8. macrumors regular

The Apple TV works great with the harmony remotes.

9. macrumors 68010

I guess nobody has actually looked for alternative remote in this thread besides the universal route.

You can actually "train" any remote to work with ATV under Settings. I have my Comcast remote working as ATV remote right now under aux function, albeit it sucks because it would still work when it isn't under aux function.

10. macrumors newbie

Any remote with up-down-left-right, select and menu buttons will work with ATV. I have put my ATV remote in the drawer since day one. Why do you waste the remote battery while any TV remotes or old VCR, DVD will do just fine? iOS remote apps can get ATV learn the 'new' remote control in no time.

11. macrumors 65816

My ATV didn't need to "learn" my Harmony One. Once programmed it just worked...

12. macrumors regular

same

13. macrumors 68010

When you pay over $100 for a remote, it better do more than what a simple IR remote would do just fine if all you need is a simple remote replacement.

14. macrumors member

The old remotes that were included mith mac minis and imacs works too. Found out by accident.

15. macrumors 6502

I find this thread funny. We opened our Apple TV3 on Christmas morning and lost the remote about 3 hours later. We found it in the cushions of the couch, but it disappeared again a couple days later. We still haven't found that thing. However, while looking for it, I found an older remote that came with the mac mini and realized that...
    And ultimately it didn't matter because...
    That was my experience too.

We also unwrapped an iPad 4 that morning and have been using the Remote app. So eventually, we'll stumble across the ATV remote...and toss it in the drawer with the rest of the unused ones.

16. macrumors 6502

cool story. enjoyed it. haha

17. macrumors 65816

designs216

Buying a new one is only surefire means of locating the old remote :D