Lost sound effects?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by isaacc7, May 1, 2006.

1. isaacc7 macrumors regular

I seem to have lost my sound effects for my mail and notification of one of my buddies being available on iChat. I haven't touched the settings, any idea on why they went away and more importantly how to get them back? Thanks!

Isaac

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sometimes the Audio MIDI settings become corrupted. The quickest way to set them back is to open then close Garageband. :)

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

I tried that solution before, and it didn't work...

10.4.6 seems to have stopped the problem from happening to me however....

4. isaacc7 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I've never installed garageband, so i doubt that's the culprit... It seems to have started when I reduced my volume to zero, when I raised it back up, the sound effects stayed at zero... Any ideas?

Isaac

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Garageband doesn't cause this, it's just that opening an closing Garageband is the quickest way to reset your Audio MIDI setting s back to their defaults.

If you open up Audio MIDI Setup in the Utilities folder, is the Audio Output Format set to 44100.00Hz?

Also, check the Sound pane in System Preferences to make sure Play User Interface Sound Effects is checked and the Alert Volume isn't muted. :)

6. isaacc7 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried the things you mentioned and everything checks out. For some reason, my ichat alerts are back but my mail alert is still MIA. Hmmm...

Isaac

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    hmmmm

it just happened to me again the other day for the first time in a while...it's def something to do with MIDI because I think it happened after I opened Soundtrack Pro....

I opened G band and quit it, but that didn't solve it, only a restart has ever solved that issue..

Odd.