Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
3rdpath said:
i much prefer a good girl who wants to be bad...
;)
Then don't miss Alias when it starts. The promo they are running has the heroine (Sydney Bristow, played by Jennifer Garner) being interrogated by a bad guy and then "taking decisive action" against him. The show is more action-oriented than Lost, but both have gradual plot revelations and great twists.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
Doctor Q said:
Then don't miss Alias when it starts. The promo they are running has the heroine (Sydney Bristow, played by Jennifer Garner) being interrogated by a bad guy and then "taking decisive action" against him. The show is more action-oriented than Lost, but both have gradual plot revelations and great twists.

i tried to get into alias but it just didn't grab me. i'm am, however, very into jennifer garner. i was lucky enough to sit next to her at a dinner party a while back. with her glasses on she kinda looked like one of those hot bookish chicks that works at barnes and noble. works for me... ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
3rdpath said:
i tried to get into alias but it just didn't grab me. i'm am, however, very into jennifer garner. i was lucky enough to sit next to her at a dinner party a while back. with her glasses on she kinda looked like one of those hot bookish chicks that works at barnes and noble. works for me... ;)

WOW... How did you arrange that??
Details please...

I wanted to watch Alias, but I'm limited on TV time and restricted to shows my wife 'approves'. I know, I'm whipped. Dooooh, I hate it when that happens.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
MacDawg said:
Details please...

I wanted to watch Alias, but I'm limited on TV time and restricted to shows my wife 'approves'. I know, I'm whipped. Dooooh, I hate it when that happens.

haha, i feel for ya bud. it was actually my girlfriend that got me into alias at the beginning of season 3...i liked it so i said, let's not watch any more, until we've watched it all from the beginning of season 1, so we're all caught up now and extremely excited about January 5th!

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
MacDawg said:
Details please...

it's just kinda the bizarre element of living in l.a. everyone goes to the store, the post office, has kids...just normal stuff. you meet people and it never comes up what they do. someone has a dinner party and you end up next to someone who's career is taking off. btw, i didn't know who she was at the time...my wife had to clue me in later after the party.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
at last Lost is back after way too long an absence....

i set my TiVo to record, and we were going to start watching it half an hour late so we could fast forward through the commercials....we go to start watching it, and the freakin' cable box had decided to turn itself off!!!! so we missed the first half!! i was soooo pissed as i'd been looking forward to Lost and Alias for ages!

damn cable!!! it's not the first time it's happened either, it happened on a different box in Brooklyn...anyone else ever had their cable box turn off out of the blue before??? (it was fine again once i pressed the power button)

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
evoluzione said:
at last Lost is back after way too long an absence....

i set my TiVo to record, and we were going to start watching it half an hour late so we could fast forward through the commercials....we go to start watching it, and the freakin' cable box had decided to turn itself off!!!! so we missed the first half!! i was soooo pissed as i'd been looking forward to Lost and Alias for ages!

damn cable!!! it's not the first time it's happened either, it happened on a different box in Brooklyn...anyone else ever had their cable box turn off out of the blue before??? (it was fine again once i pressed the power button)

AGH!! I missed an episode of Lost last night!?!? Alas, I will find the episode...somehow

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Deefuzz said:
AGH!! I missed an episode of Lost last night!?!? Alas, I will find the episode...somehow
It was a good one, you got to find a lot out about Kate. It's shady, but you can download the episode of bittorrent.. the avi's are usually better, but some arse has decided to start encoding at 24 frames/sec instead of 30, so video is a little choppy

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I'm just watching last night's Lost, and it got me wondering.. how come the guys haven't started growing more then just scruff... and the girl are still squeaky clean

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
rickvanr said:
I'm just watching last night's Lost, and it got me wondering.. how come the guys haven't started growing more then just scruff... and the girl are still squeaky clean

I was thinking the exact same thing last night. But us Americans don't generally enjoy the whole hairy armpit thing on women. Plus, I imagine they managed to scrounge some Bic razors from the toiletry bags.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Deefuzz said:

If you can't find the episode on video, go here for a synopsis.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
One of the better episodes, I thought.

Moving around the characters keeps things interesting because you don't get too focused on one or two of them (though Jack and Kate are standards).

I think the casting in particular has been excellent.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
What could possibly make the tide keep moving up the beach abnormally, which seemed to be why they all had to move further inland? That was a little far-fetched. My guess: polar waterbears.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Doctor Q said:
What could possibly make the tide keep moving up the beach abnormally, which seemed to be why they all had to move further inland? That was a little far-fetched. My guess: polar waterbears.

It's not really an island, but an alien lab/observation post. The power source used to maintain the post's stability in the water has been leaking, which is what caused the plane to crash and some of the "miraculous" recoveries, such as with Locke and potentially Jack's dad (what was up with the empty coffin, anyway?).

As a result, the "island" is destabilizing and is starting to sink slightly; so what they think is the tide rising is really the island sinking.

Okay, maybe that's a little far-fetched as well...

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
emw said:
It's not really an island, but an alien lab/observation post. The power source used to maintain the post's stability in the water has been leaking, which is what caused the plane to crash and some of the "miraculous" recoveries, such as with Locke and potentially Jack's dad (what was up with the empty coffin, anyway?).

As a result, the "island" is destabilizing and is starting to sink slightly; so what they think is the tide rising is really the island sinking.

Seems reasonable enough as it is a Sci/Fi... ;)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
emw said:

Interesting idea there. It would give ABC the ability to bring back the mini-series format if and when Lost has reached its end.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
rickvanr said:

because they have hair and makeup people to handle that stuff... :D

tv people don't use the bathroom either.

great episode btw. kate's a bad girl. i'm beginning to like bad girls. ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
3rdpath said:

LOVE Kate... but she isn't as bad as she pretends to be methinks. We saw some of that tender side too. I think Evangeline Lilly has nothing but an upside as an actress. The other girl is cute, with great sex appeal, but she isn't a fully developed character like Kate is.

The island sinking isn't such a bad theory... and clearly there is something about the island that interacts with their minds... Locke walking, the polar bear/comic book, etc.

I had my doubts about the series, but I'm hooked. :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
3rdpath said:
tv people don't use the bathroom either.
Unless it's on NYPD Blue...

3rdpath said:

Perhaps something to do with the swimming scene... ;) (avoids another squeaky clean comment - I'll let powermac666 do that for me)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yep, good episode, finally some backstory for Kate. I wonder what's going to happen regarding Sun listening in on the secret conversation.

Anyway, apparently next week's episode focusses on Shannon and Boone.

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
Nermal said:
Anyway, apparently next week's episode focusses on Shannon and Boone.

I sure am glad they're only step-siblings now! Very, uh, informative and makes a bit more sense about why she's so snotty all the time.

Anyone else see Sawyer fighting the police when Boone was in the Sydney police station? I thought it was interesting how Boone almost saw Sawyer.. but didn't catch his face.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
sarae said:
I sure am glad they're only step-siblings now! Very, uh, informative and makes a bit more sense about why she's so snotty all the time.

Anyone else see Sawyer fighting the police when Boone was in the Sydney police station? I thought it was interesting how Boone almost saw Sawyer.. but didn't catch his face.

Well, based on that whole thing about all of these characters are supposed to have some sort of underlying relationship, I was thinking maybe they all have a connecting back story. Just a thought.

Man, yesterday's episode was freaky. I suspected something was going on when there was no blood in the water right before they go to commercials. If you watch that little cut right before the commercial break where Boone is holding Shannon, you see there is no blood in the water from that angle.

Great episode for a great show.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
haha yeah, I only saw the last half of the episode last night... and Boone and Shannon were getting it on, a little weird, I thought the whole sister/brother was a bogus story from the get go.. a little weird they were step siblings tho.. and Sawyer in the Sydney police station was awesome.. I had to go back and watch it again.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Yeah, great episode! Man, what the #@$%&! is that big monster thing?! And why didn't it eat Locke when it had the chance a few episodes back?

The whole step-siblings/lovers thing helps their bickering relationship make a lot of sense. Weird.

So, the island makes people see what they want? What they need? What they fear? A little of everything?

Cool show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.