Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2003
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hi there,

I'm contributing to Team 3446 now for half a year or so with my iBook and G3 B&W. A marginal contribution in the face of these dual G5 giants in our team, but nonetheless... Every WU counts.

Last weeks I have problems in getting points for my work. In most cases, the production is uploaded nicely, but it won't increase my point total. Last time, the production of my G3 failed to upload at all.
That's a pity.
My question is: what could cause this? Both machines have machine ID =1 and work from the same router (i.e. same IP). Could they interfere with eachother or something like that?

Can't be more specific, regrettably since I do not know the innards of the process.

Regards

bram

twiztidn8v

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2004
Ocean City, MD
The fact that both processors are under the same router should have nothing to do with it. When each computer downloads a unit, some kind of code is written within the WU, to keep track of it. So when it uploads it back it knows that it is a unique work unit.

I don't remember where I read this, but I know they do something to protect the WU's and your points.

I also couldn't say why it's doing what it's doing. Someone else will have to tackle that problem.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
He Bram,

I had the same last week with my G3 B&W. In the text of the WU it said that it could not connect to the server. The server was too busy. But I looked at my name at the scorelist at Stanford and the WU was counted, only didn't got any points for them... Now I looked again, but haven't send any other WU in. I have received points and it also counts another WU!

Groeten uit Den Helder!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.