LOTR Return of the King Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by ~Shard~, Dec 13, 2003.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

With ROTK less than 1 week away, I thought I would get everyone's thoughts on the upcoming movie - if you're looking forward to it, if you find the series boring, how you think this 3rd chapter will rank against the first two, and everyone's overall thoughts and impressions. I'm sure there are quite a few LOTR fans and non-fans here on MacRumors!

My initial thoughts:

- it will be the strongest movie in the series
    - I am curious to see how the Battle of Gondor is handled, since in the books it makes Helm's Deep look like a picnic. ;)
    - I am curious about the length. There are 2 chapters of Two Towers left to tell, plus the entire ROTK book, so how long will this movie be, without cutting out too much?

I have many other questions, thoughts and comments, but I'll save them for future posts.

Let here what everyone has to say! :)

2. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I picked up my 12AM Wednesday morning ticket today :D so I'm good.
    :( A multiplex here in Minnesota is doing all three movies together but since they don't have the original cuts to FOTR and TTT they are playing the extended editions and then ROTK. Its something like 6-12 hours long or something. I was REALLY shooting for those tickets but they were sold out in a matter of hours today and it’s a one time one screen thing. DAMN! :(

I haven't read any of the books yet and that was intentional because I want to see the movies first and then get the full blown experience from my friend's LOTR collection. The guy is a LOTR nut. As in sits on panels, leads discussions, tells you the lineage of a character from memory type nut. If it's Tolkien he knows about it. Apparently Tolkien made a whole prehistory when it comes to LOTR in a book that isn't typically associated with the trilogy. I'm thinking that is where I should start my readings.

3. Zeke macrumors 6502

I think it will be very good. I also think the length will be about the same as the others. They'll probably cut out a lot of the return to the Shire stuff because it's not very exciting. That part will only be 10 minutes long or so and it was about a third of the book if you recall. I am exciting about seeing it but I won't see it until I'm back in Houston for Christmas (no movie theatres worth a crap in Ithaca).

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

This is the only movie out of the three that I cant remember what happens, so I am really looking forward to it. I read it about 10 years ago, but cant remember how it ends. I should probably stop reading thread it case someone spoils it. :)

5. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think you'll really enjoy the books then, however I am of the opposite camp - I'm happy I read the books beforehand, because that's the great thing about books - they don't tell you what you see, or what the characters look like - you get to visdualize and come up with images yourself, and use your imagination. You create mental pictures and an entire mental universe of what you see in your head as you read the books, and I guess that's why I like reading better than watching movies in general, since movies just do everything for you. ;) So for me, the movies have been extra special, as all the characters, settings, events, that I visualized in my head as I was reading the books, have pretty much come true! They truly have done an excellent job on the series, and I feel they will go down as 3 of the best movies ever made.

Getting back on topic though, when you read the books, you'll find a lot that's missing in the movies, a lot that isn't even covered in the special extended editions. And this is of course is to be expected, unless they wanted to make each movie 6 hours long! But yah, in that respect, I still have to say I enjoyed the books more - especially the Two Towers. I was surprised how much they changed in the movie - just as one example, I thought the character contrast between Boromir and Faramir in the book was an excellent dynamic, however in the movie they just made Faramir as corrupt and weak as his brother! Ah well, I could get into more details, but I'll save them for a later post.

In general though, I LOVE the movies and can't wait to see the 3rd installment!

6. NP3 macrumors regular

Re: LOTR Return of the King Discussion

According to this, its 3 hours and 20 minutes; and some Euro countries want to put in an intermission.
    variety

Ya, imdb.com says its 201 minutes.

Cool!

7. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Re: Re: LOTR Return of the King Discussion

Very cool, yet I am curious as to what all they will cut out then! As silly as it might sound, 200 minutes isn't enough time to properly show everything! Perhaps the return to the Shire will be shortened... Hmm, normally I would say they might shorten the Battle of Gondor, but after Two Towers, where Helm's Deep took up half the movie, and the battle in ROTK is even larger than that, I don't see that being too likely!

I wonder how long the extended edition will be when it is released... 4 hours? :)

8. NP3 macrumors regular

Hummm....well i actually haven't read this book....(i want to see the film knowing nothing)

But i did hear that all of the different epilogues are being including.

Haha that would be awesome.

9. ollywilson2003 macrumors member

Yeah unfortuantely here in New Zealand some newspapers/early reviews have said that the Scouring of the Shire has been cut out.

10. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    The length quoted above is correct. I saw it last Monday at a critic's screening. (It's nice having a movie critic friend...lots of free movies before they get released):)

It is superb, and a worthy addition to the series. That's enough for now.;)

11. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

The Ultimate LOTR DVD Collection?

I wonder what they will do once ROTK is gone from the theatres. Release it on DVD on it's own, then a few months later, release the Special Extended Edition, as they did with Two Towers?

But what about after that? What kind of jaw-dropping package are they going to release (and when) of all 3 movies? Geez, I can't even imagine: extended editions of all 3 movies, 100 hours of extra footage, 22 DVDs in total, an actual Ring, a certificate of authenticity signed by Gollum - and all for just $500! Heh heh... ;)

12. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

4Th quarter of 2004 is suppose to be the release date of the ultimate LOTR collection set.

13. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, cool - where did you hear that? Have they released any more details about it yet, or I suppose it's too soon?

Well, guess I'll be saving up some money for that purchase then! :cool:

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I saw the point about Faramir and Boromir earlier, and I guess you haven't seen the extended version yet. You would appreciate the added scenes, they show the "quality" of Faramir, including him speculating about the name and origin of the man he had to kill in battle, and then when he sets the hobbits free, he forfeits his own life to free them. It's quite well done, I wish it had been in the original.

JW

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just diverting away from LOTR for a minute, I read the Harry Potter books before I saw any of the movies. But now that I've seen the movies, a lot of characters don't look how I imagined them - and I can't remember what my "made up" characters looked like!

LOTR on the other hand, I saw Fellowship before reading any of the books. I'm actually reading ROTK at the moment, and I'm getting the Two Towers extended DVD for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to that.

16. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Excellent, thanks for filling me in on this, as I have not see the Extended Edition yet. This is good to hear, I'll definitely have to watch it soon! Preferrably before I see ROTK... ;)

Does the Extended Edition include more of the Ents, and also does it explain the Palantir?

17. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

All questions answered...

Check this (p)review; many, if not all, questions concerning ROTK will be answered there. It's a really good review, going in on the things that worked and the things that didn't. That last list, contrary to the list of things that didn't work in The Matrix Revolutions, is pretty darn short and most gripes pointed at will be wiped away when the extended dvd version will appear in November, 2005.

I am soooooooooooooo looking forward to go and see this film. Too bad I'm going the 28th and not earlier. I'm going to watch it with a host of friends. Of course, that doesn't mean I could sneak out and go and watch it by myself the this week(end), does it?!...

Oh, and about character-translations, I read all the books beforehand and the casting is superb. Every single character looks, talks and behaves exactly like I imagined they it would. Simply astounding work by the LOTR crew. Especially Peter Jackson, of course. From now on, he's the LOTR god (behind J.R.R. and Christopher his son, of course).

Anyways, I can't wait. Very cool to 'know' when the collector's box will be out. I've been holding off buying any LOTR dvd coming out because I just knew that there would be some kind of reward for the wait. Very, very, very cool!

18. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Yes, it goes more into the Ents (but does not really explain their arising), i.e. it shows Treebeard's 'home' and goes somewhat into the wakening and turning evil of the trees (not the Ents) and into Merry and Pippin drinking the Ent draught and growing taller from drinking it.

But no, unfortunately, it does not go into the Palantiri. But I think ROTK (but only the extended dvd edition, since the cinematic edition misses the 'dethroning' of Saruman by Gandalf) will fill in that gap.

It still definitely does put more magic to the second film, though. It's definitely better and more complete than the cinematic version.

19. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Re: Re: LOTR Return of the King Discussion

well, I bought my ticket yesterday, to 00:15 at midnight!
    I believe ROTK will be the best in the serie..
    and according to the lady who sold the ticket, it will be more then 3.5 hours.. and it sounds reasonable to me because there are several chapters from TT and we have the whole ROTK..

20. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Re: Re: Re: LOTR Return of the King Discussion

That's the badger!

21. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

22. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

That would be nice, and almost essential, in my opinion. I always thought the palantir was a crucial part of the Two Towers, and honestly, it explains why the book is called The Two Towers in the first place! That was one of my thoughts after seeing TT the first time - I thought to myself, "If I hadn't read the book already, would I have even understood why the movie was called The Two Towers?" I thought that section was very cool, and the whole dethroning of Saruman, and when Gandalf breaks his staff, well, I think that needs to be shown to complete the movies!

Hopefully it'll show up in the extended DVD of ROTK. Or, maybe it will show up in the ultimate collectors' edition, when all 3 movies are released in one big package in December 2004. :cool:

23. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: Re: Re: LOTR Return of the King Discussion

The return to the shire is gone.

24. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Re: Re: Re: Re: LOTR Return of the King Discussion

Really? Interesting... I thought they would have at least put in a bit of it. I wasn't expecting the movie to take as much time as the book did on those events, obviously due to the sheer length, but I still expected something! Ah well, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things - just more footage to add into the extended edition when it's released. :cool:

25. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I saw the movie last week at a special showing for kids and teachers in SF. It is in many ways the best of the three movies. There are some problems for LOTR fans like me. I won't spoil anything but I will say there is a change from the books in the relationship between Frodo, Sam, and Gollum on the way from Morgul Vale. It drove me crazy, but it is not that big of a deal for those who haven't read the books ten times like myself. There are somethings else that are changed and some important things left out, but I guess that is expected in any transition from book to movie.

All in all it was a very good movie, and like the book the horns of the Rohirrim had me crying. Always loved a cavalry charge, and this is one impressive charge, although there is a certain "Star Wars" quality to some of the battle scenes that I could have done without. Milady Éowyn and Master Meriadoc kick ass on the Pelennor Fields. For those who don't know I won't say what happens, but you won't be disappointed in the effects used to bring to life the terror of Cirith Ungol.

If you love the books -- SEE THIS MOVIE!

edit: not all of the return to the Shire is left out. What they do leave out is important, but in many ways expected. Oh, and one last thing - Billy Boyd has a great voice; look for his short but poignant song. iTMS