lots and lots of kernal panics under tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by russed, May 11, 2005.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well i'm into my second week with tiger and i'm liking it apart from all the kernal panics.

since this saturday i think i have had either 6 or 7, the one i had about 10 mins ago lead me to post here as it made me lose a bit of work (my stupid fault for not saving).

anyway there is nothing in particular that is causing it to happen from what i can tell. i tend to have mail, adium, safari and itunes open. this time however, i noticed the sound quality in my music dropping out just before it happened for maybe like 10 mins. it kept popping and i know the songs didnt have that before and playing it again now it is not there. also i have noticed my powerbook fan tends to be running at either full speed or close to most of the time (which is annoying as it hardly ever came on before).

Before people ask, no i dont have any mods on any of the programmes. my system monitor tends to be running at around the usual point for these programmes that i have running (around 10 - 30% - i now have word open). i have repaired permissions etc. so i dont suppose there to be any solutions really - just wait till 10.4.1 but still, this is starting to annoy me now.

i just thought i would voice my annoyment at the moment! i had only ever seen two kernal panics before 10.4 and that was in about 18 months, so im rather in shock!

2. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

oh and just in case you were wondering what the music was - its 'they liked you better when you were dead' by Fightstar. if you want to find some new music try listening to it, its awesome (Palahniuk's Laughter is the best song!)

sorry, no use posting this but its so good i want to spead the word! :D

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Check your RAM. This is often the cause of kernel panics. You can do this using the hardware diagnostics disk that came with your Mac (may be part of the system restore disk). Other than that did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

4. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

i havent changed the ram for ages (i have 512 mg - considering upgrading though). i did a clean install.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I've been thinking of mentioning this for a while russed, your tar is extremely scary. :eek:

6. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

there is nothing wrong with a bit of maggie! :D

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There have been people reporting bad RAM under Tiger that worked with Panther... Did you repair your hard drive (not permissions) before you did the clean install?

Any other odd peripherals? You're not using a USB modem or anything that might need updated drivers?

8. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

i did run the repair hard drive thing before i did the clean install. i may try taking the ram out and running it that way. i havent got any external modems etc, only a firewire hard drive and that seems to be functioning fine.

9. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

That is questionable...

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope... tho I suspect many would be disturbed by a lot of Maggie and her 'ghost' still haunts the Conservatives. I think the next Tory leader will be one of the 'new blood' MPs who were too young to have been government when she was in power... and so escape the negative connotations that her name still poses to many.

Back to kernal panics... I guess try the RAM and then wait til 10.4.1 is the only option. It is odd though - I've got a 1.25 15" Powerbook with an Archive & Install and haven't had a KP yet in 10.4, iPhoto has crashed once and I think that's it.

11. muzikool macrumors member

Have you checked your logs? It would be interesting to see if they all point to the same thing. Also, do you have an airport card installed?

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    99.9% of the time a Kernal panic happens on a Mac, it's bad RAM. You need to post what type of system you have, the configuration, the crash logs, and pull a stick of RAM (hopefully you've done the smart thing by using two 256Mb sticks instead of the one 512).

It doesn't matter if new RAM has been installed recently, RAM can go out anytime it wants. I installed Motion on a powermac and it burned a stick of RAM right there, throwing the machine into kernel panics.

You need to check the RAM and give us all info on your machine and the crash logs before we can help you any further.

edit: Windows doesn't have spellcheck on its browsers...

13. el_avocado macrumors newbie

el_avocado

What are kernal panics?

If it has anything to do with Safari or AIM or Yahoo! Messenger shutting down for no apparent reason, I've been having that issue since I got my new iMac G5 on Saturday. I find it most curious!

14. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Nope, a kernal panic is when the whole machine locks up and you see either one of two things

1) Stuff in a bunch of languages telling you need to restart your machine
    2) A load of white on black text over the top of the normal screen.

You're just seeing application crashes.

15. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

right - i have a rev b 12" powerbook combo drive - 1Ghz. i have 512mg of ram - 2 x 256 sticks (one soldered in)

how do i get the crash reports.?

16. el_avocado macrumors newbie

el_avocado

Oh, I see! Is there any way to correct application crashes? Or do I just wait for them to correct themselves by reporting them?