iPad mini lot's of app crashes on iPad Mini.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Polekat, Dec 14, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Polekat

Not sure what's going on. I have 2.5 gb of storage still available so it's not that. Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

16gb WiFi

2. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

No issues here you prolly doing it wrong! Maybe a restore?

3. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Lots? Can you give examples? Did you try rebooting or restoring?

4. macrumors 6502a

This. Try resetting by holding down the home and power buttons for 8 seconds. That usually will fix most app crash issues.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

Yes, lots. Just had Safari crash 10 times in a row. Switched to Chrome and 5 crashes back to back...

App store crashes almost every time I open it.
    Gmail app crashing on open multiple times in a row (gave up after 5 attempts)
    mail.app just crashed once on open then opened the second time.

I have tried a restart and the restart while holding home button (forget what that's called) but haven't tried a restore. I guess that's next.

6. macrumors 6502a

Lots of crashes sound to me like a memory issue...which is why I suggested the reset. Did you happen to have a lot of tabs open in Safari and Chrome when they crashed? Or maybe you just closed a memory intensive app like a graphic-intensive game or something?

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

7 tabs in Chrome were open. 3 in safari. One was a video page so not sure of that helped.

Not playing games or anything graphic intensive.

Ill do a restore tomorrow, I guess.

8. macrumors 604

ZBoater

I would have rebooted after the third time..... :confused:

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

It's been happening for a week or two now and I've tried the restarts without any luck. Before, if an app crashed, it would usually load after 3-4 attempts. I figured I'd see how long it'd take and kept trying. I must have something causing a memory leak

10. macrumors member

Maybe check for app updates? or firmware updates?

11. macrumors 65816

akdj

A hard reset, as mentioned is a good starting point....after closing any open apps. If this doesn't help, visit a genius. I've yet to have an app crash on my mini. I've owned it since launch and easily use it three hours a day. You might have an actual issue. Hardware or otherwise. If the behaviors persist, bring it in and have them test it.

I don't usually have 7 tabs open...but I do use Chrome often, and usually have at least three or four. It's never crashed on me

Good luck...buy realize this isn't typical behavior. May have a lemon on your hands

12. macrumors 6502

You're probably doing it wrong. Try restoring it and see if that helps.

13. thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

A restore as new seemed to fix it. I must've had a rogue app causing a memory leak

14. macrumors newbie

Yeah, I haven't run into a single app issue on the mini.

15. macrumors 6502

Esoom

Same here, it's been rock solid.

16. macrumors 6502

TofSanity

have you had the issue since the restore? just curious, mine has been crashing quite a bit this past week. its only a week old, i just did a restore so i will see if it works...

17. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Yeah all my apps except for google+ which crashes once a day.. Annoying but I deal with it

18. thread starter macrumors regular

Polekat

My mini has been rock solid since the restore

19. macrumors 6502

I had a very mysterious, similar issue with my iPad 4. I believe it was the app called Kanon Drum (I love that thing!). If you can nail down what app you think might be a rouge memory leak, try uninstalling it and reinstalling. Worked for me when I did that. Good to hear a restore fixed it too, though.

20. macrumors 6502

TofSanity

I restored my mini and all is fine now. I am thinking it was my ComiXology app that was leaking memory.

21. macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Safari crashes now and then, sometimes there are also rendering problems. Thankfully not often but clearly more than with my previous tablet.

Hopefully these do get fixed.

22. macrumors 68000

Defender2010

Only ever app that crashed on me was the BBC News app. The iPad 3 crashed more than my Mini.

23. macrumors regular

mine is a piece of crap. tried everything. it's going back to be replaced. disappointing. mac is getting wac.

24. StevePenny, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

macrumors newbie

Girlfriend had been having the same issues, but only for the last few weeks. A quick search & there seems to be quite a few people having issues with Minis on 7.0.4. I've done the usual of closing all the apps via multitasking & doing a soft reboot (Home & power for 10 seconds). Then deleted the main offending apps & reinstalled, did another reboot & now seems to be ok. Just opened/ran/messed around with pretty much every single app & the only app crash I got was when in Settings (she had her same email account set up 5 times & I was deleting the duplicates), apart from that all now seems fine. Will keep an eye on it & will do a fresh iOS install if need be.

................ *EDIT* & apologies - just noticed this was a thread from last December - thought it was from this year.

25. macrumors 68020

My rMini's springboard crashes every once in awhile, but that's really the only "issue" I seem to have with it.

I have 16GB wifi only model.