Lots of details on Wii's web browser (Opera)

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Jun 6, 2006.

1. macrumors 68020

srobert

We had an earlier thread about this (from the days the Wii was still named Revolution) but a lot of new info has just surfaced… straight from the horse's mouth.

Whole interview here: Link

Some highlights:

• you will not have to buy Opera as an external item, as it will be available within Wii upon purchase
    • Opera browser saved on Wii's flash ROM (does not require a separate memory card)
    • Opera for Wii will support all the same Web standards that are included in Opera 9 for PCs and Macs
    • The browser will be able to surf the full net and execute applications using technologies such as AJAX
    • The browser can be launched in only a few seconds
    • Should be as easy, if not easier to navigate on Wii than on desktop
    • Will integrate 'unique rendering technologies' to compensate for the lower resolution of TVs
    • Will support the same web standards as desktop versions of the browser and include Javascript
    • the company declined to comment if plug-ins such as Flash will be supported

2. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

As a web developer I can definitely say that I think Opera was the best choice for this application.

It's not the best browser out there or most compatible but it is lean and fast, and it has great mobile device support (which to me also indicates it is especially good and lower resolutions).

3. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Interesting stuff...great find srobert!

4. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

srobert, may I copy your summary on NintendoPlayers?

Excellent find!

5. macrumors Core

Dagless

top banana!

Hey this is actually pretty great. My gran thought about buying a laptop for her travels for 1 thing - the internet. but was always put off by computer prices. There are those other Internet set top box things but at the estimated £120 she could afford one... and play a few of the "touch generation" style games.

Online support should be standard. I'm a little surprised to see the 360 not have online, what with their epic Xbox Live and that.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Sure thing. Just check spelling and grammar. English is not my native language. ;)

7. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

8. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

This is awesome Nintendo just keeps doing things right these days....really can't wait to get my hands on a Wii ;)

SHadoW

9. thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

First, a web browser, then instant messaging?

Link to Codename Revolution

Only a patent, but who knows.

10. macrumors 604

zap2

The big N got a Opera deal with the DS to right? I gueess they really like Opera:rolleyes: When will America get Opera for the DS? Becuz i want that sooo bad(is it out in Japan ,becuz if it is i might need to import it)

11. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Maybe it's because IE would be horrid to port? LOL.

That said, it could be in the pipes... they obviously have ways to expand the features (really loving the last update).

12. macrumors 68030

Piarco

The Wii just seems to be getting better and better, more features mentioned all the time - a completely reversed situation to the PS3..... and I NEVER thought that would be the case!

13. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I spent some time searching for the US release date for Opera DS the other day; there have been no official press releases (in English) since February; they said "Japan in June." There has been no solid info on the US release; the impression seems to be "November." As of the day before yesterday Lik-Sang was not selling the DS browser. If anyone knows anything different let me know-- I'm dying to get a DS lite with opera.

14. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

15. thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

To be fair, I don't see why the PS3 couldn't have a web brwser also. Sony have been saying that it will make the personal computer obsolete. (I'm very sceptic about this) One would assume that a computer replacement would at least have to be able to browse the web and acces your emails.

I gope we'le have the possibility to purchase a wireless keyboard for the Wii. I've never been a big fan of on-screen keyboards. On-screen keyboards are good enough to type in a character name but not good enough to chat with a friend.

16. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

PS3 has been stated to have a browser as well, Phil Harrison I believe mentioned this.

I believe the post you are replying to was just meaning that positive news seems to trickle in for Wii whereas PS3 is getting a lot of negative press. I didn't take it that he mean the post about a web browser specifically (even if that is the thread Topic).

17. thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Gotcha! :)

18. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

We probably will :)

IIRC, it was because the PS3 boots Linux, which is preinstalled and has a web browser preinstalled.

There are USB ports...

19. macrumors Core

Dagless

If it works with any bluetooth keyboard (likely) then I'll buy myself a fancy Apple BT keyboard for sure. PowerBook and Wii typing :)

20. macrumors 68030

Piarco

Spot on.:D

The loss of a web browser was a bit of a shame since I've made the decision not to get a PS3 for the lounge and get a Wii instead, and the news that the Wii does have one is well received by me!
    I'll be watching this with interest, and I hope that plug-ins will be available for it.... there are a hell of a lot of sites that make use of Flash. I know there are usually lo-fi versions but still....

Bluetooth compatibility would be great. I'd be more tempted to get and compact keyboard/trackpad combo though...

21. thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I already own an Apple wireless keyboard and it does look like a distant Wii relative. They would look so well next to each other.

Even though Iwata admires Apple, Nintendo hasn't supporter OSX for their DS wi-fi USB dongle. He're hoping we'll have better luck with the Wii.

Anybody know how standardized are the bluetooth signals of a bluetooth keyboard?

22. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

anyone know if the wiimote can/will function as a mouse in opera? It just seems natural that they would have it function like that, but I haven't seen anything mentioning it. That would be nice, I could just buy an apple bt keyboard and be done with it, not having the hassle of finding an integrated trackpad combo or always needing a table for a mouse.

23. macrumors 6502a

paddy

Yeah it can alright.