Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Okie dokie:

I've been working on a project with amacgenius called mixlife, which is intended to be a competitor to sites such as MacTeens and Spymac in the vast 13-29 year old male and female demographic. Our audience is very targeted (but open to expansion).

The content we're (we're being defined as mixlife, not myself and amacgenius) looking to deliver consists of:

*News
*Forums
*Gallery
*Product reviews of products of interest to teens
*Blog service

(I realize that there is a lot of competition in this feature list, but I'm about to explain this)

What will make mixlife different?
Mixlife will combine a intuitive user interface, excellent content, an amazing feature set that surpasses any other site on the net. To my knowledge, mixlife will be the first site on the net to include all of the features we will have.

What do we need?
Mixlife is based around a core of phpBB 2.0.19, along with almost every useful MOD released. Experience with the phpBB codebase is a MUST for developers/designers. The codebase itself is pretty much established, but the design at this time is a bit lax.

Developer positions needed:
(2)

Descriptions:

Developers: Developers will be responsible for working with the code (based on phpBB and phpBBfm) and fixing small bugs/ refining features. The two developers are expected to work in tandem to do the best job possible. Work load is light/moderate. Compensation is based on amount of work done and may be limited to "fringe benefits" at first and could include substantial cash payment as the site becomes profitable.

Designers: Designers will be responsible for working with the developers to build an amazing design for the site and it's features. Image work in Photoshop or other design programs as well as .tpl files is a must. Work load is light/moderate. Compensation is based on amount of work done and may be limited to "fringe benefits" at first and could include substantial cash payment as the site becomes profitable.

Prototype site design:
mixlife.gif

(note that a shoutbox/tracker combo will appear in the empty space when logged in and a message asking guests to sign up for a free account will appear when not logged in)

On the content end:

News Team Leaders ONE FILLED! News team leaders will be responsible for posting news to the site. The mixlife news team will be expected to have a new story every 6 hours at least in order to hook readers and will consist of at least 5 members, so writers only need have have a minimum of 1 story a day. Work load is light/moderate. Compensation is based on amount of work done and may be limited to "fringe benefits" at first and could include substantial cash payment as the site becomes profitable. News team leaders may also be provided with free access to MacWorld and WWDC, along with defrayed travel expenses.

Reviews Editor FILLED! One person is needed to review product for mixlife. Reviews should be unbiased and of sufficient length. Work load is light/moderate. Compensation is getting to keep a majority of products reviewed.

Moderators TWO FILLED! Moderators will be required to post to the gallery and forums regularly and edit/delete posts to keep mixlife members within the liberal guidelines set for them. They will also respond to reported posts and ban members from various pieces of the site if required. While the site is being developed, moderators will be asked to help set up the forums/gallery and establish a set of guidelines for each one. Work load is light/moderate. Compensation is based on amount of work done and may be limited to "fringe benefits" at first and could include substantial cash payment as the site becomes profitable.

If you are interested in any positions, please send me a PM here on MacRumors or shoot me an email at *skoker*no*spam*at*osxempire.com changing *no*spam*at* to @.

If you've got any questions, please feel free to post in this thread or shoot me a message.

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
skoker said:
I've been working on a project with amacgenius

Really, cuz there hasn't been much work done :rolleyes: plus this is stupid, there's already sites like that out there - there's no way we could even compete...maybe.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
i'd be perfectly happy to do imaging work for you but i have no interest in being any kind of permanent staffer.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
zach said:
i'd be perfectly happy to do imaging work for you but i have no interest in being any kind of permanent staffer.

OK, I'll add you to the list and cross amacgenius off :/

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Getting a forum off the ground is really hard to do. Targeting the younger set is also problematic, because there are a lot of immature younger people out there, so moderation has to be strict, even if the policies are loose.

I stayed far far away from SpyMac and MacTeens (*shudder*) because the people there didn't seem to take anything seriously.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
OutThere said:
Getting a forum off the ground is really hard to do. Targeting the younger set is also problematic, because there are a lot of immature younger people out there, so moderation has to be strict, even if the policies are loose.

yeah. honestly, i'd dissuade you from doing it, skoker.

i ran a forum for approx. 3 years that had almost 1,000 members, 90% under the age of 16.

it's really not fun, and it's very very hard to get going at first too. it's honestly not worth the trouble.

but if you must, like i said i'm perfectly happy to make some images for you, i don't have enough time to devote to serious layout work though.

NWAMacTech

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2005
The interface you are using (obviously) is a DIRECT rip off of iTunes (again, obviously) I think if your intentions are to make this site profitable you might want to invest some time in comming up with your own design instead of stealing Apple's. Also because it is a direct rip off of iTunes you are opening yourself up to some legal trouble. Also, how do you intend to make money with this site? Ads? Selling access?

Anyway, good luck.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I would really like to do some reviews (not just for the free stuff), I could write a mock review of some of the new stuff I am receiving in the next couple weeks (MBP 1.83 Ghz, Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, Logitech G7, etc.). I have learned the basics of how to write a good review through my composition course and by just reading so many of them. I have written a couple movie reviews before (for class) and enjoy doing them.

On another note...

So how do you plan on getting these products for the writers to review? I know most companies will give away products to popular sites/magazines to review, but this being a brand new site...? I can't really afford to buy these products just to review, so if that's the case I guess I couldn't apply. Anyways, PM me with your idea's and let me know if you are interested in giving me a shot.

-Cory

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
NWAMacTech said:
The interface you are using (obviously) is a DIRECT rip off of iTunes (again, obviously) I think if your intentions are to make this site profitable you might want to invest some time in comming up with your own design instead of stealing Apple's. Also because it is a direct rip off of iTunes you are opening yourself up to some legal trouble. Also, how do you intend to make money with this site? Ads? Selling access?

Anyway, good luck.

Ahmen to that, my exact thoughts.

Edit: they wouldn't get sued, there is already a bunch of other sites with similar designs.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005

I stayed far far away from SpyMac and MacTeens (*shudder*) because the people there didn't seem to take anything seriously.

I see your concerns, but I've addressed them already. The site will be set up in a way that promotes constructive conversation, not inhibits it.

Plus, I already have an existing member base from my old website, OSXEmpire.com :D

yeah. honestly, i'd dissuade you from doing it, skoker.

i ran a forum for approx. 3 years that had almost 1,000 members, 90% under the age of 16.

it's really not fun, and it's very very hard to get going at first too. it's honestly not worth the trouble.

but if you must, like i said i'm perfectly happy to make some images for you, i don't have enough time to devote to serious layout work though.

I'm not looking for fun, nor do I personally expect thousands of dollars from this, it's just the recognition I'm looking for. Even if there's only 25 regulars on the site, it would be so worth it to me.

Like I said, the design is rough, and I didn't expect anybody to really fall in love with it, it was just a rough concept that I had. That's why I'm looking for a designer, I don't really have all the skills I should to be designing this and there's enough people on the web that are willing to work on this for little to no cost.

I would really like to do some reviews (not just for the free stuff), I could write a mock review of some of the new stuff I am receiving in the next couple weeks (MBP 1.83 Ghz, Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, Logitech G7, etc.). I have learned the basics of how to write a good review through my composition course and by just reading so many of them. I have written a couple movie reviews before (for class) and enjoy doing them.

On another note...

So how do you plan on getting these products for the writers to review? I know most companies will give away products to popular sites/magazines to review, but this being a brand new site...? I can't really afford to buy these products just to review, so if that's the case I guess I couldn't apply. Anyways, PM me with your idea's and let me know if you are interested in giving me a shot.

-Cory

Your PM was replied to.

Looks familiar. I think I've seen that somewhere?

Is that sarcasm or are you being serious?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I seriously wouldn't build off of phpBB, it's OK, but is free for a good reason. It is no where NEAR as good as Invision Power Board or vBulletin. You don't want to build a whole community around it only to be totally pissed off with it's pants admin features at a later date, forcing a complete rebuild around a new forum system.

The iTunes rip-off interface also looks very cheesy, just like the sites that try to emulate the OS X look and feel. When ever you see it you just think that the designers have no imagination.

Another thing, if it was to take off, have you thought about how you would fund this? Disk space and bandwidth usage particularly when offering galleries is going to be HUGE. Not to mention just general server resources. Some shoddy shared hosting just won't cut it, chances are you would need several dedicated servers, with good backups, fat pipes, and lots of bandwidth allowance, $$$$$$$! :eek:

This may all be a bit negative, but it's something you need to think about. It's nice when you're young to have big ideas, but you do need to think about this stuff.

...god I sound so old.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I know the phpBB codebase and the .tpl construction, but I don't think this is a very good idea for a site, and I can almost guarantee you it won't compete with spymac...

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
edesignuk said:
I seriously wouldn't build off of phpBB, it's OK, but is free for a good reason. It is no where NEAR as good as Invision Power Board or vBulletin. You don't want to build a whole community around it only to be totally pissed off with it's pants admin features at a later date, forcing a complete rebuild around a new forum system.

The iTunes rip-off interface also looks very cheesy, just like the sites that try to emulate the OS X look and feel. When ever you see it you just think that the designers have no imagination.

Another thing, if it was to take off, have you thought about how you would fund this? Disk space and bandwidth usage particularly when offering galleries is going to be HUGE. Not to mention just general server resources. Some shoddy shared hosting just won't cut it, chances are you would need several dedicated servers, with good backups, fat pipes, and lots of bandwidth allowance, $$$$$$$! :eek:

This may all be a bit negative, but it's something you need to think about. It's nice when you're young to have big ideas, but you do need to think about this stuff.

...god I sound so old.

I've got a server lined up with 100GB disk space (expandable later) and 2.3TB/month transfer (semi-dedicated). I'm not too worried about resources right now, but I am prepared to move into a dedicated if the time comes.

As for the design, as I said, it was just some CSS I was practicing on. It wasn't intended to stay as a 'final site design' by any means (unless people liked it).

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
ITASOR said:
I know the phpBB codebase and the .tpl construction, but I don't think this is a very good idea for a site, and I can almost guarantee you it won't compete with spymac...

I should have said that better. I never even dreamed of competing with Spymac, but creating a sort of 'sub-niché' to it.

Spymac is a dirty house of corporate evil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.