lots of pepper and a pinch of salt

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, Dec 5, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

That's how I like my fries.
    I'm not a big fan of the regular crinkle ones, I prefer ones that a bit more spicy.

I also like mustard ocasionally, but no ketchup.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Slice a potato in half, take each half and cut them into 6-8 slices (like steak fries). Put them on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with fresh crushed pepper, mix around to get them evenly coated and stick in the oven for 60 minutes at 375 - taking them out and moving them around after 30 minutes and putting them back in. Dump them in bowl, sprinker with coarse grained salt and add some freshly chopped rosemary and/or thyme.

You will never want to eat fries again....

D

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

sounds a lot like your popcorn recipe... ha

never got to try that... mainly cause everyone i mentioned it to thought it sounded so odd....

maybe over the break.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've been working at National Airport here in DC for work at the private aircraft hangar that's been closed down since 9/11. They have a table top popcorn maker that they might let me take when they have to leave in a few months. We've managed to get the olive oil recipe to work in it - its awesome! No rosemary though.

And don't tell anyone about it, just make it and then give it to him, that will make them think it less odd.

D

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ha. wouldn't be worth it if no one's around,and if my bro's around, i can't do much without him bugging me about it. so he'd find out before it was complete.. ha

will get to it though.

7. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

duke, if that recipe is half as good as my legs are smooth, then I'm going to luv it.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't like baked potatoes really......

But with french fries I like them slightly salted, no pepper, no ketchup.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

edvniow - that recipe kicks ass, its absolutely fantastic. If you try it let me know how it comes out. Basically on the second 30 minutes, check in on it at 20 to see how crisp they are, you don't want to ove do them, but you want them a little crunchy.

skem0 - they are not baked potatos, they are oven roasted, and like I said before, if you try them once (cooked correctly) you won't want to have fries again.

D :D

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

ROTFLMAO!!!

Now that's a quotable statement! :D

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I will always want to have fries from Wallies, which is a local
    hamburger joint that has the best fries I have ever tasted.
    Just thinking about them makes my mouth water. The fries I just
    ate from Wendy's dim in comparison.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You won't find potatos like the ones I mentioned in a restaurant, something simillar, but never as hot as the ones you take out of the oven and have to blow on as use burn your lips eating the tasty goodness..... ;)

D

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Just like the ol' SAT verbal comparison questions:

eyelikeart is to the poop thread what dukestreet is to weird recipes.

Word!

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ahem! I prefer gourmet, if you please ;)

And I've got tons of them.

D

15. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Got any "gourmet" recipes for:

•corned beef
    •tofurkey
    •buffalo mozzerella

I think my favorite sandwich to make is to take a baguette, some pesto, a tomato, and some buffalo mozzerella (the watery kinda).

Go with alternate slices of tomato/mozzerella/tomato/mozzerella

Lightly salt it. Spread some basil pesto on top, and blammo! instant sandwich.

What's also tasty is my friend chris' recipe for salsa-- he deep fries the pre-done tortilla chips, and the makes salsa with homegrown tomatoes, a 1/4 can of canned tomatoes, arugula, onions, some garlic and some crushed black peppercorns.

Yumarific when you're, ahem, in that "state" at 2AM.

Another fave of mine to make is tiramisu, a dessert, which is surprisingly easy:

Buy some lady fingers, a soft cakelike cookie and layer them at the bottom of a pan.

Dump espresso on top of then until they're completely covered. I also mix good Amaretto with my espresso for taste.

get some "marscapone" (and BE SURE to spend the cash and get the good stuff... otherwise, it's very sour-creamy). It'll be like icing. Spread it on top of the soaked ladyfingers.

Sprinkle chocolate and some cinnamon on top. Freeze it for an hour or so. Then feed it to your girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband/person you wanna seduce and get ready for some lovin'

I also eat, every morning I can, two waffles with fresh cream and strawberries (or raspberries). I have that with a glass of OJ and then a glass of merlot when i'm done. Wine in the AM, my heart feels SO good. :)

16. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

How do you like your French Fries...

Served by a Maid from country of origin...

:cool:

17. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: How do you like your French Fries...

Hmmmmm.

French Fries served by Liza Richardson, Ellen Feiss and Janie Porche dressed as french maids.

It's almost christmas... santa?? where are you???

heeheeteeheegigglehee

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

first off...

Duke's got the right idea! :D I don't typically eat french fries...or anything fried for that matter...but I do recall a similar recipe done with portobello was it?

second...

Moxie...damn u for making me want to eat french fries!!!! :eek: :D ;)

19. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

dude. you can have allllll the french fried you want.

As long as I get to have ellen, janie and liza "eyes wide shut" style

fidellllllllllllio

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what's the second password?

ps. the more you talk the more i realize how much of a scumbag you really are, brah.....

21. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I;m really not a scumbag though. I only play one on TV...

Ask eye... he's heard all of my broken heart stories and how sensitive I really am. :D

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Never had tofurkey, so I'd have to wait until I know its limits.

buffalo mozzerella -

blanch a large leaf of swiss chard (green leafy plant with red veins) place slice of prochutto (sp?) on top, then a chunk of mozzerella, drissle with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper. Roll the whole thing up in the chard leaf, making like a little burrito.

Put it on the grill for a few minutes on each side! Make a ton of these, they go fast. Yummy!

Corned Beef - not much that I've done, could look something up, but that would be cheating. I have taken the leftovers from a St. Patricks Day dinner (potatos, cabbage, corned beef) diced the corned beef and thrown the whole mess into a skillet with some olive oil and made a nice version of bubble and squeak! Good stuff.

D

23. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

im going to share a nice, simple recipe with you guys for an awesome chicken dish.

-you need some thin sliced chicken(i usually make 2 for each person eating)
    -breadcrumbs(plain)
    -2 eggs
    -cream(half and half works fine)
    -flour
    -tobasco
    -texmati rice
    -kikoman soy sauce

okay here we go:
    you're gonna want to start the rice first as it takes a while(just follow package directions). arrange 3 plates on some surface. put flour in the first one, 2 eggs with 3 tbsp of cream in the second(whisk), and breadcrumbs in the third. get out some large frying pans and put some butter and oil in them, turning the heat on. roll each chcken strip in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs, and put in the pan when the butter starts sizzling. cook until golden brown(me, personally, i like it darker) if rice isnt done when chicken is, put the chicken in the oven under low heat. when serving use large portions of rice with soy sauce well mixed in. sprinkle tobasco sauce on the chicken, but too much. when you eat, you have to have chicken and rice in each bite. some people also use lemon.

24. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

This is a cool thread, I'm going to go with current trend and flame you guys for having it in the wrong category. YOU IDIOTS PUT IT IN THE HOUSEWIFERY FORUM!

I really should try some of these.

:D