Lott Sues Over Katrina Damage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, May 12, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know how we missed this story last December, but I heard about this afternoon on NPR. Let us pause for a moment to appreciate the irony of Trent "tort reform" Lott filing a frivolous lawsuit.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1413681

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

The joke is the insurance companies that won't pay for damages due to Katrina. He's just publicizing the fact that he's joining in the thousands of other homeowners in suing the insurance companies that aren't paying. Some companies are paying for the same damages. The issue is whether their homes were flattened by a flood or by wind-blown water.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oooo... I wonder, did he hire one of the repugnant, font-of-all-that-is-wrong-with-this-country, trial lawyers to help him plead his case?

4. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Ok, this is ridiculous. And I"m talking ONLY about Mr. Lott & his -too-cheap-to-buy-flood-insurance-lawsuit.

1. No insurance policy is simple but...Hurricane damage is fairly easy to figure out.
    2. If the damage is worse @ the bottom it's from flooding and therefore water damage.
    3. If the damage is worse @ the top, it's from the wind. (simple physics)
    4. If you purchase an hurricane insurance policy that doesn't cover WATER damage, the only way you're getting paid after a hurricane is if something crashes into your house and breaks a wall or ceiling.
    5. If you have the money to buy beach-front property and don't buy FLOOD insurance too, you're an idiot.
    6. Trent Lott has no case.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Ok then what's wind-blown water? It's something crashing into, and destroying (breaking), the entire house.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hurricane damage (like most things in life) is rarely so black-and-white.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I can see a courtroom scene with opposing weather-experts, trying to separate the low-pressure surge height from the additional wave-height due to wind. :) "Oh, yes, we're both using the same data. We just interpret it differently."

Dunno where Lott's house is (was?). But, if it was above elevation fifteen feet or so, I'd bet wind and wave action, not surge tide.

I regularly drive I-10 through that area. Anything damaged north of I-10, it was done by wind.

:), 'Rat

8. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Katrina did catastrophic flooding damage. Hurricanes don't crash in homes and destroy them. They aren't Tidal waves. Hurricanes have lots of heavy rain, lots of heavy wind, and in this case severe flooding made far worse than normal b/c of the destroyed levis. The floods from hurricanes are driven by intense pressure, of which wind is the least powerful factor in that equation.

I tried writing an detailed explination but it was long and sounded condescending & that didn't seem helpful. I recommend watching the Science Channel series called "understanding," they have episodes on floods, tidal waves, & hurricanes. They are also better @ summary explinations. I wasn't trying to provoke a nasty argument, I was just talking about the physics of structural damage & my contempt for Mr. Lott's Lawsuit.

I agree with that truism. I just don't think that Trent Lott has a case. He had beach front property and no flood insurance, nor any insurance policy refering SPECIFICALLY to water damage. As stated in my original post I'm not talking about any claim other than the one made by Mr. Lott.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Looks like Lott is getting a little taste of his own corporate policies, poor poor draft dodger:D

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

let's hope he has to declare bankruptcy some day, or loses his congressional healthcare and pension.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Welllll, I'd say that thirty feet of storm surge and wave height might well be seen as pretty much like a tidal wave. :) That's what hit Biloxi, just west of the Lott-lot.

I'd missed the beachfront-at-Pascagoula locale. From the aerials I saw of the damage, I'd have to say surge and waves ate the house, not wind. Well, it's possible the wind got to it first. Sorta academic, really.

I was fortunate enough to work with and brain-pick on Herb Saffir and Bob Simpson, after they'd left the Hurricane Center and the NWS. Part of four years' worth of my professional work involved investigations of coastal hazards, plus I'd been in on the post-storm damage survey after Celia hit Corpus Christi.

1. Buy insurance before, so you don't have to bitch and whine, after.

2. Practice leaving early.

:D, 'Rat

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No kidding, he is a prime example of the two America's. If it wasnt his home he wouldnt have looked twice at this. Wouldnt it be nice if All American's received the same Healthcare as these crooks infesting washington. Two Americas. One for the Rich and famous and another for everyone else.

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I understood the tidal surge to be over 35 feet, which is lots of tidal waves crashing down on the land. It's not slow rising water. It was also a slow moving hurricane, which means the many waves crashed down on the land for a long time. If I understand about the intense pressure it means it builds a surge of water in the middle of the hurricane. That surge being 35 feet estimated, caused the incredible damage over time.

Lott's situation is just like thousands of others on the coast. There's no reason to single him out for ridicule or chastisement.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think there's plenty of reason. is he, in fact, in the senate pressing the case of the thousands of others? is he lobbying the adminstration to start releasing the funds it promised?

i suspect not. i suspect he plans on using his position of power and influences to grab money for himself and no others.

and some may think that's okay, but i say he should stand with his constituency and fight for everyone, and not collect a dime before anyone else does. that would be some leadership, something which is in short supply these days.

15. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Lott is being singled out here because of his many criticisms over the years of the very system of torts that he is attempting to utilize to his advantage now.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, the hypocrisy is obvious, but I also suspect this doesn't have as much to do with altruism as he's claiming. I'm sure they'll settle and the little people will get almost nothing. Then Republicans can go back to claiming personal responsibility, saying people should have been smart enough to get better insurance and the government has no place in big business.

Honestly though, I don't know who to root for in this case.

17. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

...and what are your senators' sins??? I expect they have clean records? Pork is part of the game!

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My Senators have plenty of sins, and I hold them against them despite the fact that they are Democrats. For instance, one of my Senators was instrumental in restricting the general public's access to concealed carry handgun permits despite requesting a permit to carry one herself; a similar act of hypocrisy.

I don't see why you would advocate ignoring the sins of one Senator just because 'everyone else is doing it'. Children argue that way, not adults.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my senators are durbin and obama. best outfield in baseball.

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sounds like Lott has joined many who never had any serious damage from storms, and figure that there's no real reason to fear the future and take precautions against Bad Things. They run their mouths against the various systems we've put in place for redress of the costs and hazards.

Oops.

Storm surge: The air pressure outside the storm center pushes water into the low-presure center. The lower the central pressure, the higher the surge tide. It's also affected by the slope of the sea bottom as the storm approaches a coast. A fairly flat bottom, like that of the Gulf of Mexico along our coast, tends to accentuate the problem.

Wave height increases with increasing wind speed. Camille hit Biloxi with wind speeds up to 225 mph, in 1969.

Total rainfall varies with the velocity of the storm along its track. Carla, in 1961, and Beulah, in 1967, produced total rainfalls of some 30". 1970's fast-moving Celia, on the other hand, produced only some eight inches.

'Rat

21. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Thats a good explanation 'Rat. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't get lynched for it. :D

22. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So, if a homeowner carries hurricane, but not flood insurance, and their home is hit first by wind and then by storm surge, do they collect on the policy? What if nobody is around to document the damage caused by the wind, and the evidence is wiped out by the storm surge?

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

How else would you defend the undefendable?

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Now, now, IJ, you're getting into the fine-print section of insurance policies.

I guess you'd have to ask an insurance company about how they define "flood". Only riverine? Or is surge tide included? Does "windstorm" include or exclude hurricane winds? How about surge and wind from a hurricane that's been downgraded to tropical-storm status as it moves onshore?

As usual, caveat emptor.

'Rat

25. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Where insurance policies are concerned, the only print that really matters is the fine print. I've heard that some people on the Gulf Coast are facing the exact problem I described.