Lottery Monkey

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hcuar, Sep 21, 2004.

1. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Ok here you go! :D

Attached Files:

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Cute monkey!

It sounds pretty scary if people actually knew you won the lottery. Being drugged by a strip club manager and his "girlfriend"? Sounds pretty dodgy, but I'd move homes if people knew I won.

Actually, I wouldn't tell many people. It would look strange that I had five Dual G5s towers set up just to help SETI out ;), but yeah, I'd make sure I had privacy. I'd tell my family and 4-5 close friends, and that's about it. I definitely wouldn't tell any pimps, or any girls in case they'd go out with me just because I had money. :eek: I wouldn't buy too many extravagant things anyway (which would be a "waste" of winning a lottery, I guess :rolleyes: ), but I'd still be super-cautious.

Okay, I'm done.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

me too... I wouldn't tell anyone, it would be a secret for my wife and me ... not even my parents or children ... although they would suspect it :D but I still would have an iMac G5 and I would move to a Powerbook ;) ... of course, I would include a nice 23" display :) ... a normal car (but has to be Mercedes Benz :) ) and a contribution to macrumors.com :cool: .. I won't go into more details because in case I get that amount of money everyone would know it immediately :p :p

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A "normal car" that has to be a Merc. Nice. ;) Don't know how much you make, but your boss may find it suspicious.

Wanna hear somthing sad? I'd buy a Mazda3 Sport hatchback. :p Nobody would realize that I won the lottery, maybe except my friends who would wonder where I got $24000 Cdn dollars with no job. :p Aw well, early graduation present, I say.

I'd also donate to MacRumours, but I'd make sure that this place had no banners of any sort. I'd expect at least Demi-God status for that. :p

I wonder how telemarketers and salesmen get your address after you win the lotto if you're not listed?

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wouldn't you at least get a security system?

And what's up with a dead kid in your house? Scary stuff and such a shame. I think if I won that much money I'd move somewhere where people didn't know me.....

D

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Here in Germany is pretty normal to have a Mercedes... I will tell you a secret... one of the big ones of the company has a very old car (more than 10 years old), one single guy from production has an almost brand new BMW... :D ... the "big one" has a PIII laptop running W98 ... I always arrive and place my iBook beside his laptop ... he won't finding suspicious... ;) actually I would invest a lot more in my company... and would buy him a Powerbook :cool: (Unfortunately we have to run our tools on wintel boxes :mad: , this place would rock having G5 on every desk)

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

heh, its kinda funny, most people that win the lottery end up in financial trouble. they just start spending all of their money, and dont stop, and eventually run out of money!

i personally would spend about 10% of it right off the bad, you know, a nice car (crovette) a couple macs to distribute to my friends/family that still use M$. and some other little things. but then save/invest the rest and live off the interest/money made off of investment. and of course some of the money would go to macrumors :) maybe donate a computer for a contest. i think it would be fun to see a contest on macrumors . . . whoever has the most creative <fill in the blank> wins a mac!

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I can't understand how someone who wins the lottery for a few million could ever run out of money.
    Say you win $5,000,000. Give Uncle Sam his 42% and you're left with a mere 2.9 mil. Go ahead and blow $400,000 (you know you want to). Put the remaining $2.5 mil in a friggin' crappy savings account earning 3% and you can find a way to live off the interest. Maybe $75,000 a year isn't going to let you retire or hang with Paris Hilton (gak!), but you'd get by...

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

i always kick myself for not playing the lottery, you gotta be in it to win it after all, but then i see paragraphs like this...

seems like a tad more than 42% to me. it makes me sick how the government can take soooo much of it. what gives them the right to tax that at all??? *******s.

12. gluemeat macrumors newbie

I agree. I'd be SO in Bora Bora the very next day, signing the deeds to the purchase of my very own island.

13. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

oh,and i completely agree with you by the way :) so many stupid people on this planet :rolleyes:

14. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Well they charge you a penalty for taking all the money at once. Then the government takes their cut from the balance. This guy has some fishy things going on in his life. Who carries half a million in a briefcase in cash and travelers checks? Sounds like somebody doing something illegal.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for the cute monkey, brought on a smile.

My thought also, why wouldn't he have installed a security system. The important thing is to meet with a financial advisor prior to coming forward. Without proper planning money can be squandered easily. A very sad situation.

16. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

that sum doesn't include what the government takes. remember, when you get it over 20 years, the account (or however its stored) the money is in earns interest. yout ake it out, you forfeit the interest. makes perfect sense. The government then takes their cut out of that. So you probably wind up with closer to 30% of the total winnings. But its still a heck of a lot of money.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

I had heard of the earlier problems (stolen briefcase) a while back. I was thinking that there was some other twist to this story - that the guy was already a millionaire when he won, or that he had one more than once or something like that.

So I did a quick search. He was a millionaire and owned a construction business. Bastard.

http://www.wheresmypants.net/jackpot.htm

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=56278

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/12/national/main605557.shtml

There's more, but the rest are pretty much the same. Of all the people to win the lottery...

As for staying anonymous, Delaware is the only state that doesn't require posting at least the name and city of the winner. Supposedly to make sure everyone knows it's an honest game.

18. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I could make it work...

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

At it again...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this story reminded me of the conversation.

Sheesh.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Just another sad situation. Proof of the old axiom, that money doesn't bring happiness. I think that those that seek the help of a lawyer and financial advisor first would do better. This drastic change in life means that some planning is needed.

21. hcuar thread starter macrumors 65816

hcuar

I about spit out my Altoid when I saw this thread come up again! :cool:

22. wide macrumors 6502a

actually, i believe you get less money if you take it all up front. if you decide to get paid your prize over the course of...20 years (not sure of how many years) you would probably wind up getting 160 million as opposed to 113 million overall, after taxes.

put that in a hedge fund making 10 percent or more (on average) per year and you have a very handsome income.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The lottery monkey should be out of the news for 28 days soon, after this years second DUI he was order to start 28 days of rehab by Jan 2.

So he will probably show up drunk to rehab Jan 1 or 2nd after the new years bash. ;)

24. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Couldn't agree with you more. I'd make a dash for the high country. All I need are snow-capped peaks, my cat, powerbook and iPod, and maybe a steak every 10 days...

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The Lottery Monkey celebrated two years of wealth by burying his 17yr old grandaughter, who was died of an overdose and dumped in a ditch by her boyfried.

This comes rather quickly on the heels of one of her other friends dying in Jack's house.

Now all he has to do is report to jail for his DUI sentence.