Lottery Winner Shot To Death By Police

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Genius... you're absolutely right, the guy watched one too many westerns. You may have been able to get away with this 120 years ago, but certainly not today! Discharge a firearm in public, risk the consequences. It is sad, but I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the guy...

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A very sad incident that ended in death. Besides watching Westerns, he may have also observed Arabs in the Middle East shooting their guns in the air. He missed learning the part that the bullet could come back to Earth and kill someone. It was just a stupid idea. :eek: I wasn't there so don't know what happened. Hopefully the investigation will vindicate the policeman. It's the job of police to break up riots.

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I'm inclined to believe that he didnt shoot the gun in the air. Only his family was saying that, but the rest of the witnesses claim he was shooting at a car speeding away. My hunch is he was involved in the fight at the bar, and was a bit too big for his britches, and pulled a gun. Besides, if some cops rolled up, a sane person would drop the gun instantly, and give up. Instead, he hid behind a car, and according to police, aimed his gun at them.

Sounds to me like a classic case of "rules don't apply to me because I'm rich."

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I wonder if people stop and think of what happens to that bullet they shoot in the air?

It will come back down! It could seriously injure or kill someone. It has happened before. I think we had thread a while ago about KKK members :mad: shooting in the air to scare a new recruit. The "recruit" died from a bullet that came back down on his head."

The article states that his brother is the one telling that he shot in the air. The witnesses versions are different.

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That ran through my head as well, but I was having fun at the stupidity of what his relatives had said. Regardless, if the cops show up and you have a gun in your hand, its best to put some distance between you and the weapon....

And there's the ever present alcohol-goes-with-stupidity clause at work here as well, I'd wager :D

D

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Really a sad story. It seems so often you read of lottery winners that go down the wrong path - money can't buy happiness, intelligence, or common sense, I guess. But I'd sure be willing to try. :D

It doesn't sound like he was all that bad a guy:

Too bad it ended like this, most likely with alcohol, as was surmised earlier.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Probably had an argument over the money. Maybe somebody was for the $87 million before they were against it. :rolleyes:

9. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Guns don't kill people....people with guns kill people

At least the streets are safer now...one less idiot with a handgun...

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

although I don't particularly agree with this statement, it could have ended a lot worse where he actually shot and killed someone before the police arrived. Why did he even have a gun with him in the bar, that's even more idiotic.

D

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Guns+Alchohol=Baaaaad news
    Guns+Alchohol+Cops=Reeeeaaaaly Baaaaad news
    Guns+Alchohol+Cops+Too Many Westerns+Too Many Arabs=Dead Meat. :eek:

Well, I gotta say, "Sucks to be you!" And while I feel bad for his family, when everyone else says that he was pointed a loaded handgun at them, I really don't feel that bad at all.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Lucky boy, caught a bullet the first time he waved a gun around when police were there.

And since the police don't have to warn you if you pointed a gun at them, I don't see the problem the family had with the shooting -- the idiot had afterall fired his gun already.

13. Mantat macrumors 6502a

14. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Like it was said before, people kill people not guns.

As for the Arab reference, that was wdlove who brought that up and it was incorrect anyway. Small arms fire for celebration has always been done, probably since there have been guns.

I mentioned the Westerns, since you always see a sheriff or someone breaking up a fight by shooting a gun into the air :D

I can't think of anywhere else I've seen it done for that reason so I made the initial reference. This guy wasn't celebrating anything by shooting off the gun....

D

15. mstecker macrumors 6502

Now that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

16. raiderz182 macrumors regular

17. Gyroscope macrumors regular

Yeah. Why don't they shoot Charlton Heston as well. :D

US gun control laws are shocking. I don't think anyone should have a license to carry the gun except the police and military personel.

18. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Haha, have you ever seen the Family Guy where Charlton Heston gets shot, and his dying words are "its ok, its his right as an American!"

btw, Bowling for Columbine is now only 8.88 at Walmart, and something that everyone in America should watch!

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Almost.

Guns don't kill people... idiots who work at Starbucks and manage to win a 1/13th share of an $87 million lottery jackpot who get drunk at a bar watching the Squawks loose in the 4th quarter to a majorly craptastic team get embroiled in a scuffle over said poor showing decide that firing a handgun is the best solution to the particular situation.. get killed by trigger happy police.

Despite this guy's foolishness, why did he get popped again? Can't the cops protect themselved behind a car? Anyone ever hear of negotiating?