Lotus Notes email in Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swiftaw, Mar 24, 2006.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I have noticed from the many threads that people are not fans of Lotus Notes.

Unfortunately, I have just accepted a new job, to start in August, and I have now just realized that they use Lotus Notes for email.

I like Mail.app, mostly for the spotlight capabilities. However, let me say before I ask my question that I don't expect to be able to use Mail.app instead of lotus notes in my new job.

However, what I want to do when i get my new email account via lotus notes, is to somehow get a mirror of all the email I send and receive on my .Mac account. I have come up with 2 possible ideas and I am hoping that someone can tell me if either of these are possible

Idea 1: Find some way to export all my mail from Lotus Notes in a format that can be imported into Mail.app. I could then do this on a nightly basis to archive all my mail to my .Mac account.

Idea 2: Try to do it manually. This is easy for outgoing mail, as I can just BCC it to my .Mac account, but I am not sure how I would do it for incoming mail. I could just forward it to my .Mac account but the probably with that is then my name appears in the From: field rather than the original sender.

Any thoughts?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    2 possible ways to do it for incoming mail:

1) Set up a rule that forwards received mail to another (your Notes) email address)

2) If your email address is under your own domain control, convert your email address into an alias which forwards to your Notes address and an address your Mail account checks
  3. kión macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2006
    Well, it might be worthwhile to examine, whether your administrators have setup a POP3 access to Lotus somewhere and somehow. I do have to use LN as well, but they have made a simple person very happy by letting me access my mail with a half way sensible mail client ;-)

What´s cool, the POP even allows my Mail.app to access it with firstname (blank) lastname without coughing!

Just they discontinued use of ports 110 and 25 through the firewall for security reasons, so I have to access my private mail through a parallel universe (in my case UMTS). And yes, I am the only person with a Mac in 1.500 users. Hah. And the one that bothers the least the friendly service staff, as there are no problems with my installation.

So, it might be a good idea to socialize a bit with the admin to check on a POP-account.... Then no forwarding is necessary, just you access a different mailbox in the tab on the left hand side of Mail.app.