Loud 12" Powerbook Optical Drive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dswoodley, Feb 16, 2003.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I just got s new 12" powerbook, and I love it, I absolutely love it!

except...

is the optical drive suppose to be so loud (a bit of crunching sound) after it yanks the CD or DVD?

Any comments would be great!

2. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Re: Loud 12" Powerbook Optical Drive

Mine does it too...all of my optical drives in my sony, iBook, and pBook are loud.

3. spishack macrumors member

spishack

Yes

Mine too. Scared the hell out of me the first time, but I checked with another Powerbook (15in) and it was the same.

I almost crapped myself the first time it happened.

4. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I was watching a DVD on my 12" pBook and it sounded like the drive was gonna croak...that was first time it made horrendous noises. All of my notebook drives are loud...but the 12" pBook is very loud and sounds like it is thrashing about...only with DVDs though.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yes this is normal. on the original ti books they used to be quieter, but from moving to the combos and superdrives they have gotten a scarier sound when it goes. i must say i thought something was wrong when it made that noise. its all normal.

iJon

6. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Sometimes i get scared when my 1Ghz tiBook pulls in a CD or DVD with alarge crunch bang thingy, first i get a shock, then i fear for the life of the drive, and lastly i fear for the CD..... it hurts me everytime.