Loud Buzzer Every Time Email With Attachment Sends

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cleanup, Feb 9, 2006.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

This isn't just an Apple Mail thing... I recall it happening other times as well, such as when SOMETHING completes, whether a file copying, or whatever.

When I send an attachment through Mail, and the email completes sending, my iMac makes a very loud BRRZZT noise. It's not any of the alert sounds in the Sound Preferences Pane, and turning down the Alert Volume in System Preferences doesn't stop it. It sounds like feedback from the speakers... like the warbling buzz you hear when you touch your finger to some powered speakers' headphone jack and the subwoofer crackles and the speakers buzz.

Except, it's very loud, and catches me totally off guard. Even while I'm listening to music, I may leave the email to send on its own, and while typing in MSN, or browsing the web, ill hear a sudden loud BAAZRRT and i'm caught totally off guard.

It's rather annoying.

Could there be something wrong with my speakers? Or what? Is it a software or a hardware problem? =\

Any ideas?

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

it might be your cellphone?
    i dont know. My cellphone tends to make speakers make funny noises and CRTs distort, especially while I'm talking to someone.

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

The same thing happened to me once, when I received an instant message via iChat. Do you have Tiger?

4. JasonReid macrumors member

It happened to me twice yesterday.

Once when a cd finished importing, and another time when I was sending a message in iChat.

5. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Yeah. My cellphone always makes my speakers buzz whenever I receive at text message or a call...

But it happens from the computer, at a not-so-coincidental time, such as when an email finishes sending.

Yes, I'm running 10.4.4...

Does anyone know what causes this and if there's a way to fix it? Or at least make it quieter... =\

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

sounds

Do the 'sounds' generally work on your Mac? I mean, these are all notification sounds from the OS. You're supposed to get a 'whooosh' when you send mail trhough mail.app. As for iChat - there's funny sounds when u recieve and send messages.

Sounds very odd to me. Are these on-board speakers? Are they externally powered? Does iTunes work ok?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could be a core audio issue. The easiest way to reset core audio is to open then close Garageband. :)

8. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Yes.

It doesn't always occur. The whoosh sound works, but instead sometimes I get a loud buzzer. The loud buzzer is not one of the alert sounds in System Preferences.

On-board iMac speakers.

iTunes works fine...

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So did resetting core audio not work? If you don't have Garageband you can follow this method: