Loud Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by airkarol, Nov 23, 2005.

1. airkarol macrumors 6502

Nov 12, 2005
    Wheneven i open a folder, or any application, sometimes when im doing nothing, there is a loud sound coming from inside the computer. I'm positive it's not the fan. It seems like it's the hard drive. Does anyone have any ideas about what is wrong?
  2. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 12, 2005
    More info on this - It sounds like my old computer from '96, it has to be coming from the logic board or hard drive.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Which computer? Has it always been loud? Is it a clicking noise?
  4. calyxman macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Doubt it's the the logic board. Most likely the hard drive. Let your system idle and wait for the HD motor to spin down. If the sound goes away, it's the HD. Might be the bearings are going bad. Or you may not have the Fluid Dynamic Bearing system, which is much quieter than the old ball bearing systems.
  5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    The only things inside the computer that have moving parts are the HDD's, Optical drives, and fans......

so concentrate your detective work in those areas, it could be any or all of the 3 :)
  6. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Hard drive is about to crash. The noise is the head seeking on the platters.
  7. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Jul 13, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If I were you, I'd backup, run some hardware tests and if necessary, replace!