Loud iBook 900

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noahsnyc, Oct 22, 2003.

1. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Los Angeles
    In early June I became the proud owner of an iBook - 900 mhz/384 mb/40 gig/ combo w/ Airport.

It's been quite the hotrod (it's been a while since I've had a computer), never had a problem running anything at top speed. Mostly it's used for surfing, iTunes and iPhoto.

Ever since I first turned it on, there is a constant, loud fan blowing. It turns off when asleep. The fan is very loud, but constant and blowing out the back vent. It doesn't seem to affect performance, and in the past few months haven't noticed any other "problems".

Is this normal for this fast G3? The only theory for it that I can think of is that in fact it is a very fast G3 (the fastest, right?) and probably running on the hot side.

I do use the computer on my lap and my bed, not helping it stay cool, but as I said, the fan seems to be on no matter what the weather or temperature is.

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    This may be due to the fan not being able to shut off. The G3 runs pretty cool, and in my iBook (800MHz) the fan comes on rarely.

Take it to Apple if you have a big problem with it, they should fix it right up.
  3. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    The fan on my 800 iBook will come relatively often if the HD is spinning a lot. That left hand sure gets hot!

I typically unplug it and let it run of the battery. This slows the CPU a bit, makes it run a tad slower and the fan usually shuts off after 5mins.
  4. jonapete2001 macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2003
    The 600 ibook i use almost never has the fan come on. Only when using the dvd drive.
  5. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002

Yeah, I used to have a 500MHz iBook (my mum has it now) and the fan *never* came on in 18 months. Imagine my surprise when the fan spinned up for the first time on the 800. Quite annoying.:(
  6. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    As another owner of a 900MHz iBook, I agree with the other posts. The fan generally never comes on. Pretty much the only thing that makes the fan come on is if I play a game for a long time that makes the processor work hard, such as Warcraft III. Yup, that'll usually do it after about 30 to 45 minutes. Other than that, I probably wouldn't even know I had a fan in there. I never heard a fan in my old 600MHz iBook.
  7. slowtreme macrumors 6502

May 27, 2003
    Tampa FL
    only time I ever heard the fan come on in my iBook was when I was installing the new 10.2.8 update. I've never done computing that started the fan.

I think everyone is saying the same thing. If you are covered by applecare, take it in so they can fix your sensor or whatever is wrong.
  8. jtown macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2003
    I have folding@home running on my 800Mhz ibook (don't laugh!) and the fan rarely comes on. That's a 100% CPU load 100% of the time. When it does come on, I wouldn't call it loud.