Loud Macbooks Now

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bep207, Aug 17, 2006.

1. bep207 macrumors 6502

does anyone have a problem with their previously moo-less macbook being loud now due to excessive fan use after the firmware upgrade
    anyway to remove firmware update?

2. DMPDX macrumors 6502

The two in my house have been fixed by it. Miraculously. They perform like they SHOULD have from the factory now. Sorry to hear about yours.
    -dsm

3. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

i posted in the update thread the same thought. It has a constant hummm about it.. its kinda high pitched and slightly annoying.. Before it wasnt bad, it would 'moo' i guess a bit in short bursts ONLY after extended use on a hot day, and 95% on the time when i used it bed right on the mattress...

But now.. constant hummmmm

I will bring it to bed with me, and see if it at least took care of the moos i did experiance.

but.. boo updated.

4. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Yeah my macbooks fan had the moo, with the update the fan is now constantly on.

5. bep207 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

7. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Mine moo's more now than it did before... I'd rather have the fan on.

8. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Has anyone had a random shutdown since they installed the update, though?

I haven't.

9. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Ok well I have 2 macbooks in possession. A black one that mooed (my one) and a white one that didn't moo.

After installing the update on each laptop, both fans run constantly, neither moos and both run considerably cooler.

The black macbooks fan, however, runs a fair bit louder than the white one's. Enough to be heard a number of metres away even when idle.

The white macbooks fan can barely be heard, only if you put your head next to the keyboard.

Therefore there must be some hardware issue with the fans that previously had the 'moo'. I wonder if I take both laptops into an Apple shop they will agree with me and replace the fan in the black one?

10. oscarfrancis macrumors newbie

The issue might also be that the black Macbook runs a lot hotter for some reason (a defect), and the fan is having to work harder.

11. i0Nic macrumors 65816

It's definately a fan problem.

12. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Mine was silent before, but after the update the fan has been running more often. :(

13. MustardMan macrumors member

My fan seems to run more often... BUT I'm also running consistently in the low 50s/high 40s when at idle and the lid open, contrary to what I saw last night with the lid closed.