Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bep207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
does anyone have a problem with their previously moo-less macbook being loud now due to excessive fan use after the firmware upgrade
anyway to remove firmware update?

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
bep207 said:
does anyone have a problem with their previously moo-less macbook being loud now due to excessive fan use after the firmware upgrade
anyway to remove firmware update?
The two in my house have been fixed by it. Miraculously. They perform like they SHOULD have from the factory now. Sorry to hear about yours.
-dsm

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
i posted in the update thread the same thought. It has a constant hummm about it.. its kinda high pitched and slightly annoying.. Before it wasnt bad, it would 'moo' i guess a bit in short bursts ONLY after extended use on a hot day, and 95% on the time when i used it bed right on the mattress...

But now.. constant hummmmm

I will bring it to bed with me, and see if it at least took care of the moos i did experiance.

but.. boo updated.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Ok well I have 2 macbooks in possession. A black one that mooed (my one) and a white one that didn't moo.

After installing the update on each laptop, both fans run constantly, neither moos and both run considerably cooler.

The black macbooks fan, however, runs a fair bit louder than the white one's. Enough to be heard a number of metres away even when idle.

The white macbooks fan can barely be heard, only if you put your head next to the keyboard.

Therefore there must be some hardware issue with the fans that previously had the 'moo'. I wonder if I take both laptops into an Apple shop they will agree with me and replace the fan in the black one?

oscarfrancis

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
i0Nic said:
Ok well I have 2 macbooks in possession. A black one that mooed (my one) and a white one that didn't moo.

After installing the update on each laptop, both fans run constantly, neither moos and both run considerably cooler.

The black macbooks fan, however, runs a fair bit louder than the white one's. Enough to be heard a number of metres away even when idle.

The white macbooks fan can barely be heard, only if you put your head next to the keyboard.

Therefore there must be some hardware issue with the fans that previously had the 'moo'. I wonder if I take both laptops into an Apple shop they will agree with me and replace the fan in the black one?

The issue might also be that the black Macbook runs a lot hotter for some reason (a defect), and the fan is having to work harder.

MustardMan

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
My fan seems to run more often... BUT I'm also running consistently in the low 50s/high 40s when at idle and the lid open, contrary to what I saw last night with the lid closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.