Louis Theroux: The Most Hated Family In America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Apr 2, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

- A link to BBC 2 with four short clips from the documentary that may be not be safe for work.

Did anybody watch this on BBC 2 last night?

It was a Louis Theroux documentary about an extremist religious sect in the USA, founded and lead by Fred Phelps, that pickets the funerals of US soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan with placards reading "GOD HATES FAGS" & "GOD HATES AMERICA", amongst others. They were also anti-semitic - " the Jew church" - plus anti- any Christian church/religion that wasn't their own take on the Scripture. And the whole time with their young children in tow.

It made for compelling but disturbing viewing.

Like my brother said: "You feel sorry for the children."

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Was wondering whether someone would post about this. I didn't 'cos I don't have a telly, so I haven't seen it but would have liked to.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I missed it, unfortunately – my work chums have been on about it this morning, though. It sounds quite horrific – the sort of thing that's engrossing but quite disturbing to watch.

I think it's being repeated a bit later in the week so I'll see if I can catch it then.

4. Queso macrumors G4

I'm surprised you didn't know about them already. The Phelps family are often discussed on this board. Their reaction to Hurricane Katrina was particularly endearing. Something about "rotting corpses floating in fag-semen stained waters".

Link
    Link
    Link

Yeah, don't you just want to hug them?

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ah, the lunatics from Westboro Baptist Church. How well we know them.

There was a funeral here in Ohio last week for a soldier killed in Iraq. Phelps and his crew of gay-haters were here to protest. Fortunately, we now have a law that keeps these cuckoos further away from funeral services.

But what was nice to read was that there was also a group at the burial called the Patriot Guard Riders. They're a motorcycle group that also goes to military funerals and surrounds the family of the deceased with giant American flags to as to obscure the sight of the Westboro crazies.

You gotta love that! :D

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I watched a documentary on TV last night about them.

People have the cheek to say the Irish are stupid ..... What sort of feck wits are they? :confused:

Tossers the lot of them.

FJ

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Why do people keep letting this nutters on TV? I mean even doing a "look at this horrible people" piece is still giving them their 15 minutes. These people are no better than that troll Anne Coulter, but at least she's making money off her BS attention grabs.

8. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I, for one, am glad that people like Louis Theroux makes programmes about groups like these and exposes them for what they really are.

From an interview with Louis Theroux:

- BBC Interview

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, it's a relatively small church, and many of the members are from the same family. So I suspect inbreeding. :D

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I saw it. Utterly horrifying.

What I don't understand is that with all the other nutters in the US why those lot aren't beaten within an inch of their miserable little hateful lives. I would not be surprised for a second if they were victims of a drive-by... and I can't say I'd feel a whole lot of pity for it either. I'd like to see them preach that venom in someplace like Los Angeles. ;) I don't know how people can turn so rotten, I can't even begin to understand.

11. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I think that that's down to the power and control that Gramps exerts over the 'family'.

Generations of preaching hatred until it becomes 'normal' behaviour and a sort of defence mechanism against the hostility that the rest of the world shows towards them. It has become a vicious circle of hate begets hate begets hate.

And that's the sad part. (The family's children who have only known hostility and hatred aimed towards others and then back at themselves.)

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I thought the most hated family in America was the Bush dynasty??? :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

13. BoyBach thread starter macrumors 68040

BoyBach

When I read the title of the programme in the TV guide of the newspaper that's exactly who I thought it was about!

14. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, how do you plan to stick it to the man? :cool:

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I doubt if there are any scarier people, than the various Christian sects who have embraced fanaticism. This jerk-weed is no whackier than countless others running around loose. He is just stupid enough to draw attention to himself.

Utah has many morman groups practicing polygamy and inbreeding of minor children. Officially, it is against the law. But, the state is unofficially run by the church and they turn a blind eye to it. I seem to recall reading there has not been a single conviction, even though those engaged in it, freely admit their crime. However, get busted with a joint in SLC and you are lucky not to get the firing squad.

How many Christian cults have come to public attention over the past 20 years? Jim Jones, Jim and Tammy, Moonies, Branch Divinians, KKK, Skinheads, and the list goes on. I read a published FBI report which suggested there are upwards of 100,000 individuals associated with these various types of groups. I also suspect the quacks on the Trinity Broadcast Network, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, etc., have one foot out the door too.

17. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I wasn't in last night so I missed it. But I really want to see it. You simply can't beat Louis Theroux (sp?!) for this type of thing.

18. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

i will hire a mercenary to take him out. maybe ill get someone big, like rosie o'donnell, to beat the living sugar out of him.
    :D

19. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

That's funny. I'm LDS and thanks for dissing my beliefs :p :p :p :p

It's strange but I always love people who make blanket statements. Keeps me on my toes :rolleyes:

20. aquajet macrumors 68020

When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought it would be about the Phelps clan.

As crazy and despicable as they are, I still find them immensely fascinating. The fact that Fred himself was a civil rights attorney for many years drips of irony. I don't mind hearing about their absurdities every now and again.

Apparently, there are several children from the rotted loins of Fred and his witch that have completely disassociated themselves from the family. I can't imagine what these poor folks have had to deal with and I wouldn't be surprised if some have gone as far as to legally change their names.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

OT: I thought he was talking about either the Kennedy's or the Clinton's. LOL

But yeah, after reading about Phelps I would say most people would hate him even Christians (as they definitely don't subscribe to Christ's teachings).

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Hilarious but uh, in Massachusetts doesn't everyone worship the Kennedys like demigods?

23. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Let's call it a draw :cool:

FJ

24. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I did not 'dis' your beliefs. And, I notice you did not actually take exception with the facts in my post. It is you who have taken a 'blanket statement' position. What I posted was based on a two-year relationship I had developing an ERP system with a SLC company. The owner is an LDS bishop, and still a friend, as are many of the guys I worked with. The fringe groups were a major news story when I was in SLC, and what I posted was straight from the news coverage. I also discussed this at great length with my friends.

There is nothing funny about it. It exists, is pitiful and a blight on the LDS church.

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I too sat there stunned, not only by their views, but by the very fact that they've lasted so long. In a country where patriotism is everything (ok, perhaps a generalisation, but whatever :p) I'd have thought that walking around with the American flag tied to your feet while you stomp all over it, while flying an upside down American flag on a pole in one hand, and a "God hates America" sign in the other would be pretty much guaranteed suicide.

Where's a gun wielding murderous maniac when you need one eh?