Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesnowman16

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
New Zealand
terable night for us. lost the sailing, cricket, rugby, basketball and netball.

however it was the sailing that hurt the most. that was a great race and i think the outcome reflected the race well.

i don't think we were prepared for how hard the race would be and seriously under estemated the oponent. we did not deserve to win!

As for the cricket...well...um...I um...I have to go now...

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I haven't managed to find any nice widescreen ETNZ wallpaper, so my Mac isn't fully in the spirit of the event.

The wind was scarce today, and although they didn't race (5 days off out of 6!) some boats were playing around. The NZ team was one of those, so I could get some pictures of them and of the Desafío Español

What size did you say your screen was? :D

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
The wind was scarce today, and although they didn't race (5 days off out of 6!) some boats were playing around. The NZ team was one of those, so I could get some pictures of them and of the Desafío Español

What size did you say your screen was? :D

1680x1050, would be awesome if have some.

Looks good for racing today, 6-7kts so far.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
There was a funny advert about team Shosholoza on local tv. Basically just a "cup" of coffee with an american flag on it being stirred for about 30 seconds. After this a voice over comes with, "Will team shosholoza stir the cup again this year?" (or somethig like that)

I thought it was pretty meaningful!

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
with today's upset of lunarossa by shosholoza, oracle appears to be in the driver's seat but we still have to see all the big matches.
and it appears to be that the fight for the 4th semifinal spot is quite open too.
very fluid, very nice.

unfortunately i can't find any place to watch it in the US, nor to decently follow it live on the web.
the official web site 'tracker' is pathetic.
only text and very little of it (i am not going to pay 40$ for their upgraded tracker). Any suggestion on where to follow?

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
with today's upset of lunarossa by shosholoza, oracle appears to be in the driver's seat but we still have to see all the big matches.
and it appears to be that the fight for the 4th semifinal spot is quite open too.
very fluid, very nice.

unfortunately i can't find any place to watch it in the US, nor to decently follow it live on the web.
the official web site 'tracker' is pathetic.
only text and very little of it (i am not going to pay 40$ for their upgraded tracker). Any suggestion on where to follow?

Yes the free tracker is pretty poor.

However, the upgraded one Americas Cup Anywhere is handled by an external party and by all accounts looks very good from the ads, I have no real experience with it however.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
Yes the free tracker is pretty poor.

However, the upgraded one Americas Cup Anywhere is handled by an external party and by all accounts looks very good from the ads, I have no real experience with it however.

do you have good coverage in NZ?
i'm hoping that they at least will be showing from the semi's on.
is there any NZ site that has good (free) live coverage? like a newspaper's site.
so far the best i have found is eurosport
http://www.eurosport.com/sailing/america-s-cup/2007/livefullpage.shtml
combined with the official one

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
do you have good coverage in NZ?
i'm hoping that they at least will be showing from the semi's on.
is there any NZ site that has good (free) live coverage? like a newspaper's site.
so far the best i have found is eurosport
http://www.eurosport.com/sailing/america-s-cup/2007/livefullpage.shtml
combined with the official one

TV coverage has been good. I don't know of any free sites with good coverage.

Good to see Team NZ win the round robins. Great win against Oracle in the last flight.

Suspended
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Team New Zealand is going to murder the skipper-thieving swiss (once we get through to the actual America's Cup...)

I used to live there (ch), so I'm allowed to say bad things about them. :D

ChucklesAC07

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2007
America's Cup 2007

Hi all. Here's a few URLs to help you follow the Louis Vuitton Cup and America's Cup:

Cupinfo.com (an LVC/AC dedicated information website, full of graphics and tech info, not affiliated with any of the teams)

2007AC.com (Has the longest-running America's Cup online Sailing Forums, begun at QuokkaSailing in 1999, and continuing after Quokka bit the dust. Full of insider and expert posts and opinions. OLN (Versus) TV worked with this site during the 2003 events.)

Versus begins full coverage of the LVC/AC events starting tomorrow, Monday, May 14th, with live coverage, and two replays daily.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I go sailing a couple of times a year with a deaf team. Quite nice, we sail out of Southampton on a lovely 60foot sailboat, potter about near the Isle of Wight, sleep aboard, have a natter, wave arms around and a pint somewhere, sail back, and that's it really.

I don't really give a toss about the America's Cup, so I shouldn't be posting here really :)

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
Hi all. Here's a few URLs to help you follow the Louis Vuitton Cup and America's Cup:

Cupinfo.com (an LVC/AC dedicated information website, full of graphics and tech info, not affiliated with any of the teams)

2007AC.com (Has the longest-running America's Cup online Sailing Forums, begun at QuokkaSailing in 1999, and continuing after Quokka bit the dust. Full of insider and expert posts and opinions. OLN (Versus) TV worked with this site during the 2003 events.)

Versus begins full coverage of the LVC/AC events starting tomorrow, Monday, May 14th, with live coverage, and two replays daily.

thanks.

interesting first day.
i guess TNZ will go through in a breeze ;) , but the other semi could be close. Luna rossa in 9.
check this

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
another surprisingly dominating performance by Luna Rossa and Oracle is down 3-1 (and it could have easily been 4-0).
I expected a closer series.
TNZ as expected are just training against desafio.
it's shaping up to be LR-TNZ for the final

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
another surprisingly dominating performance by Luna Rossa and Oracle is down 3-1 (and it could have easily been 4-0).
I expected a closer series.
TNZ as expected are just training against desafio.
it's shaping up to be LR-TNZ for the final

Well 4-1 to both Luna Rossa and Team New Zealand. I am quite surprised how Oracle is being dealt to.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
:D so much for my predictions!
Oracle was totally owned by Luna Rossa in this series, and Desafio is still hanging on by the fingernails against TNZ.

Luna Rossa looks like the boat to beat right now in the challenger field.
the LV final will be interesting.

i wonder if Alinghi is still superior as shown in the earlier Acts.

I think it's the first time in the history of the cup that there will be no american boat in the AC or LV finals.

TheFreshPrince

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2005
Japan
Go the Kiwis!

I'm in Japan where there is absolutely NO footage at all of Louis Vuitton and America's cup racing so I payed the small fee for "Live Sailing" and haven't looked back. I was so glad when I found out it is Mac compatible. :)

I play the live audio commentary from the official AC site and watch the racing live too in 3D graphics like the ones you see on TV. All the info like wind speed, advantage lines, velocity etc etc is provided too. You can move the cameras around however you like. I really recommend it for America's Cup lovers who don't have any access to TV footage.

Markusa

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2007
Castine, ME
America's Cup?

I hate to flame on this subject, but anyone seriously interested in America's Cup should be looking to get pissed off and contact people that are involved in fielding America's team(s)... and definitely sending letters to US Sailing and the USSFoundation http://www.ussailing.org/ussf/ . This year's single entry in the America's Cup race, Team BMW Oracle http://bmworacleracing.com , was really a prime representation of the lack of character that has over- run so much of the United States in the past two decades. Speaking as a former public school educator - someone who is ashamed to have a president that is surely not as smart as most of my neighbors - and as an avid sailing enthusiast... I can't understand why, with regard to the oldest sporting trophy, we are not outraged at the performance (or lack of) that has undergone our participation in seeking this important international reflection of our country.

A brief look at the crew of this year's US entry will reveal a ship full of foreigners... mostly Australian's (the defenders and modern choke holders of the cup). See the following to view USA's crew members:

http://www.americascup.com/en/americascup/teams/index.php?idContent=13821

Only the fat-cat Afterguard are American's. Instead of waiting until too late to make Chris Dickson walk the plank the US should have sought a crew of America's to recapture the longest held US trophy. This approach to American pride would have found us placing ads to hire Germans to fight Hitler. How can you even respect the idea of recapturing America's Cup when the opposition fights the battle for you? I am not a bigot or a racist… unless believing that in terms of a competition where teams represent a country, team-members ought to be from that country or have some direct connection to it in terms of their heritage.

It is a sad day... and has been for some time in the United States. As a teacher in our nation's schools I struggled over the past two decades to resist the melting away of our children's character in the face of a society that cares too little and understands even less about the battle still facing us in the world. Our country is course to become the Rome of history books in 3000 AD.

I hope people will contact the USSF and make a plea for making our next opportunity at The Cup less about how much we can spend and more about how much pride we can rebuild into the effort to make this again a reflection of the character of the United States. I believe an effort to make the America’s Cup a mission to recapture pride in America, with our own people fighting the battle, and our heritage as a nation on the line, would promote widespread interest and support from a nation looking for a light on the horizon.

Shame on us for our efforts in this year’s Cup and for those that supported such an effort. :mad:

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I hate to flame on this subject, but anyone seriously interested in America's Cup should be looking to get pissed off and contact people that are involved in fielding America's team(s)... and definitely sending letters to US Sailing and the USSFoundation http://www.ussailing.org/ussf/ . This year's single entry in the America's Cup race, Team BMW Oracle http://bmworacleracing.com , was really a prime representation of the lack of character that has over- run so much of the United States in the past two decades. Speaking as a former public school educator - someone who is ashamed to have a president that is surely not as smart as most of my neighbors - and as an avid sailing enthusiast... I can't understand why, with regard to the oldest sporting trophy, we are not outraged at the performance (or lack of) that has undergone our participation in seeking this important international reflection of our country.

A brief look at the crew of this year's US entry will reveal a ship full of foreigners... mostly Australian's (the defenders and modern choke holders of the cup). See the following to view USA's crew members:

Only the fat-cat Afterguard are American's. Instead of waiting until too late to make Chris Dickson walk the plank the US should have sought a crew of America's to recapture the longest held US trophy. This approach to American pride would have found us placing ads to hire Germans to fight Hitler. How can you even respect the idea of recapturing America's Cup when the opposition fights the battle for you? I am not a bigot or a racist… unless believing that in terms of a competition where teams represent a country, team-members ought to be from that country or have some direct connection to it in terms of their heritage.

It is a sad day... and has been for some time in the United States. As a teacher in our nation's schools I struggled over the past two decades to resist the melting away of our children's character in the face of a society that cares too little and understands even less about the battle still facing us in the world. Our country is course to become the Rome of history books in 3000 AD.

I hope people will contact the USSF and make a plea for making our next opportunity at The Cup less about how much we can spend and more about how much pride we can rebuild into the effort to make this again a reflection of the character of the United States. I believe an effort to make the America’s Cup a mission to recapture pride in America, with our own people fighting the battle, and our heritage as a nation on the line, would promote widespread interest and support from a nation looking for a light on the horizon.

Shame on us for our efforts in this year’s Cup and for those that supported such an effort. :mad:

Sorry to knock your little rant there, but I think you'll find most of the Oracle BMW Racing crew are actually New Zealanders.

Those extra two stars denotes an Australian flag.

Bit ironic.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I should have thought of that, as I was at the NY Yacht Club in Newport on Monday. Granted, it was only a few minutes as we were switching out one of those conference call phones, but I was still there!

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
mostly Australian's (the defenders and modern choke holders of the cup).

i certainly hope that in your work as a "public educator" you bothered to actually make sure you had at least a vague idea of what you were talking about other than some jingoist rant.

not only, as pointed out, the "australian's" are actually mostly new zealanders, but team australia are NOT the defenders, nor they have any sort of hold on the cup.
in fact, they are not even participating in this edition!

The defenders are swiss, their crew is, like every other crew, international and includes several americans.

and if you think that pride counts more than money in the modern america's cup, i am afraid that you are hopelessly delusional.

Oracle didn't lose because they had a bunch of spineless mercenaries, they lost because they matched up with a surprisingly far superior boat in luna rossa (an italian boat, with a crew that includes several american, helmed by an australian and with a brazilian tactician).

or do you suppose the "italian mercenaries" were better motivated by the good food?

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal

First of all, if you think the America's Cup is "important" in the grand scheme of things, especially in regards to our relations with the rest of the world, then you're delusional. It's a sailing competition. A bunch of millionaires and billionaires -- who can easily have a prettier trophy made than the Cup itself -- race for the right to brag to their rich friends about their latest conquest.

Sure, sailing is fun, but most Americans don't participate in it. In fact, most people in most countries don't participate in it. That doesn't make it a bad sport, but it does mean that you can't attach much global importance to it. In most countries they obsess far more over the next regional soccer tournament (even if it's years away) than a sailing race.

While I too am disappointed in how our educational standards have declined and that our president doesn't read books, I don't see what that has to do with the America's Cup at all. We didn't stop raising kids to sail, since 99.9% of us never were to begin with. If you're going to be depressed about U.S. sports prowess, how about the fact that even with professional players we can't win in international basketball or baseball anymore? (Sports that we invented, unlike sailing.) It can't be a matter of national pride if most Americans don't know it's happening.

And finally, here's how I'm sure that your concerns are overblown: we don't currently hold the America's Cup, and in fact haven't in quite a while. And yet it's still called that. And I haven't heard of anyone wanting to change the name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.