Love it or Hate it: The new U2 commercial is great!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Frisco, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Love it or Hate it: The new U2 commercial is great!

2. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Well i don't like U2's music at all, i do like what they do in the way of charities and events.

On that note I obviously liked the iPod I just bought one, but the Ad appears a little weird because as the iPod is brought away from the screen it looks like the image kinda does not match or flow as fluidly in the screen of the iPod(almost like it was projected), anyone else notice this???

3. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Would be better if it wasn't U2.

Good idea/concept...bad choice of band.

No one really likes U2...people see them on there w/o knowing it's an iPod commercial most likely will change it.

Should have been something the iPod generation would relate with better...Kanye West, Black Eyed Peas, Gorillaz, Death Cab for Cutie, etc.

4. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

I see your point. I guess I am just from a different generation.

5. qzak macrumors 6502

no one really likes U2??? I doubt Apple would of made a deal originally to market a version of their major seller using a band no one really liked. How long have they been around, how many millions of cds have they sold and are still selling. U2 appeals to a wide range of generations, were as the bands you mentioned are much much newer and probably don't even appeal to everyone in their teens/twenties, which is the age group i'm guessin you were talking about when you said the "ipod generation", which i myself fall into

sorry for the rant, anyway.. my point is U2 is a long lasting band that tons of people know. i like the ad.

6. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

U2 is cool! I am not their biggest fan, but I am of this iPod/U2 commercial. I can't stop watching it!

Plus they got the eminem ad too!

Apple knows what they're doing.

7. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I meant no offense, and I know TONS of people like U2.

What I mean, is that the biggest buyers of iPods are those in their teens&twenties...and while that group *knows* U2, they aren't U2's biggest listeners.

I just think Apple could have chosen a band that is both known by a lot of people, but also *liked* by the iPod's biggest buyers.

For example, if Apple announced a G-Unit iPod, I am willing to bet it would out-sell the U2 iPod in the same time frame.

I also would have liked to see more of the iPod's features in the commercial. The ad makes it seem like music videos are the #1 reason for it, when in reality I highly doubt that's what most users' videos will be. They should have showed home videos and tv-shows, with music videos being only a "oh, guess what - you can do this too" sort of thing.

Just my thoughts is all.

8. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

I am not a big fun of U2, as most of the people above me, but I have to say that the execution of the ad was well done. Simple, yet gets the point across.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You kids don't know the real U2. Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum. With or Without You is one of the best broken heart/love songs ever. You don't know what you're missing.

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I like U2 pretty well, not my favorite band, probably somewhere in my top 20 though. The bands you mentioned definitely cause me to change the channel if they come on the TV/radio. I won't say something bad about all of them, but I will say that Black Eyed Peas seem like they exist as a band for no other reason than to make songs for commercials.

To be honest, I like the U2 commercial, but not that well. It seems a little slow, but it does have a good visual impact and shows off the new iPod well.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think it would be better if Bono was in tune more often. Some of those notes are painful :( You'd think someone with his money would be able to take a sight singing/ear training class somewhere.

12. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Ummm, they do have a commercial for the younger generation. They have the Eminem commercial.

13. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

love it, just saw them at the Boston Garden-great show.

Yes because Bob Dylan's career suffered so much from his poor voice. That's a live show recording, you can't compare that with other studio recorded stuff. Bono's got a more interesting style over all of those run-of-the-mill singers out there.

14. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

First of all, you should make sure you understand what you're talking about before you deem Apple's advertising nonsensical. They have the eminem commercial which you obviously missed.

Again, you missed the point. I think if we're looking for band recognition, Death Cab for Cutie wouldn't be the best choice. I don't think your personal taste has anything to do with a successful ad campaign.

15. bollard macrumors regular

16. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

OK...obviously it's not me who is missing the point.

My point is, I repeat ( :rolleyes: ), that Apple should be going with a band/group/singer that meets a little more criteria, such as:

a) Is popular
    b) Is liked by the majority of their target audience
    c) Actually has a current hit

Sorry to dissapoint, but neither U2 or Eminem meets those criteria.

Sure, everyone know's who they are - but the majority of iPod users don't like U2..so automatically they fail.

Eminem hasn't had a big hit since a very long time; so he fails.

Funny you mention my personal taste/preference. At any point in any post I have ever made, did I once mention that I liked those groups that I listed?

I'm afraid not. Again - I am sorry to dissapoint - but I don't even like those groups. However, I do have the capacity to realize that they are very well known, and that a LARGE chunk of the iPod's target market actually LIKES them and their genre.

All those groups are just as well known as Eminem, so you can't use popularity as an arguement. The difference is those groups are actually hot right now. ;)

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

50 Cent and his cronies...sorry "crew" :rolleyes:

18. bollard macrumors regular

Oh showing my age I suspect. Next question Death Cab for Cutie have we heard of them this side of the pond ??? Cheers

19. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I was wondering who the hell they were as well...

20. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Hrmmm... I think if you took a poll at any college campus (who you are seeing as the main iPod using demographic) and gave them a list of those bands and U2 and asked if they knew the name of any song by any of those bands U2 would win hands down.

Saying no one really likes U2 is a fairly large overstatement. That's like saying nobody really likes Madonna or Michael Jackson. Like em or hate em they're fairly well known.

U2 is an excellent choice.

21. the_freddinator macrumors regular

Here's why I don't like the U2 iPod commercial:
    1) more of the commercial is devoted to U2 than the iPod itself. 1/2 the commercial is just the U2 concert on the screen
    2) The song doesn't fit in w/ the other iPod commercial. Think about it- every song has been a catchy pop song until this one. This is rock with off-pitch Bono. Lame.
    3) Video looks pasted on.
    4) Doesn't go anywhere. You zoom out of the vid to see the iPod..then the text is show...then the ipod twirls..then it's done.
    5) Music cuts out awkwardly- It just sounds awkward

The whole argument about how U2 is good or not is totally irrelevant. The song is just a bad choice- it's not anything special. All the commercials were catchy- this is just lame.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Impressive, considering the Gahden hasn't existed for 8 years.
    There's no excuse for being out of tune, EVER.

Of course, I hang around with music majors all day, and half of them are singers. :rolleyes:

23. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Which sort of validates having a more 'current' artist. I loved those albums too (and still do), but U2 isn't nearly as big a seller as they used to be. They seem like halfway to the Rolling Stones- will always be popular, even though the new albums don't sell so well anymore.

But U2 is a safe choice too. I don't really care either way. I guess it's better than taking the flavor of the month, only to have it go stale in 6 weeks.

Maybe they could've tried to get Green Day, they just won a bajillion MTV music awards or whatever-

24. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

G- U-NOT!!!!

(sorry couldn't resist, it was in a 50 diss song by Game, way to bite the hand that feeds! Ironically he has a song called Love it or Hate it, or vice versa.)