Love macs, but love gaming too...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crossed-over, Sep 17, 2004.

1. crossed-over macrumors member

Here's my current situation...

I have a dual gig power mac g4 with Radeon 9800 Pro and 17" studio display which I use at my desk and currently use for gaming.

I have a powerbook g4 500MHz no combo or superdrive (which my fiance' mainly uses)

I also have an old dell 1.3gig p4 and 17" trinitron CRT.

I play a lot of games, and I've been exploring the possibility of selling my PM and my dell and buying a new powerbook for myself, and building a gaming PC with the extra money I have left over. Gaming with a mac is just too inefficient, and costly. The pc would strictly be used for gaming only. All my other work and surfing could be done wirelessly from the powerbook in the living room, while watching tv with my fiance' or whatever. I did a search on ebay and found that after selling all my equipment I would roughly have about $2000 to work with. I would need a Powerbook with superdrive but not necessarily top of the line. I would prefer to buy used, actually.

My questions to you are:

1. Does anyone feel like I'm betraying my beloved Apple by making a move like this?

2. Which Powerbook would fit my situation the best?

3. Has anyone else made a move like this? If so, were you happy with the result? Did you end up using the PC more than you had intended? (I don't want to get caught up in that.)

I'm stuck between wanting a cheap, but more powerful gaming machine and wanting to remain faithful to Apple and my love for the Mac OS. Does anyone blame me for feeling this way?

I feel guilty. :( Opinions please!

2. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

well.. if I cant manage to build-up a budget for 1400 euros (or more) to buy iMac G5, I'm planning to buy a crappy PeeCee and I'm not really feeling guilty.. I wished Apple would release a chassis only-single processor g5 for 800- 900$ but they dont, what can I do.. plus I'm planning to play games and stuff on that pc, but I dont give so much importance to gaming, thats why I'll force myself as much as possible for that iMac G5..

I'm using a 12"PB combo drive myself, but if money and portablity is not all that important for you, I'd recommend a 15 with superdrive... 17" is cool too.. but I dont think everyone can "fit" that into their mobile life..

as an answer to third point, I cant imagine a mac user to move back to pc and be happy somehow.. I wouldnt even be understanding people buying pcs if macs would be a little bit cheap and "playable"..

whatsoever.. I'd recommend you to stick with apple if you have enough $$$, but thats your decision afterall...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

pcs are good for gaming, no contest there with macs, i have a pc that i use for some older games i have, along with a 12" powerbook as my main computer, there is nothing wrong with this at all. your not betraying apple or anything, but if you feel like you are, maybe its because you cant justify spending the money?

but anyways, you have some external monitors so you could go with a 12" book if you want, at least then you can have dual displays, if not i would go for the 15" because its a great size, up to you though

good luck

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

get a dualie 2.5 with 6800... thats should run games...um fairly well ;)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't think a multi billion $$$$$ company is going to get to upset if you "betray" them in this way. Honestly, it's just a computer purchase. You can betray friends/family etc, but not a international corporate business :rolleyes: Buy what you want, when you want, for what ever reason you want. You don't owe Apple anything.

6. jcru macrumors newbie

I have a similar situation. I LOVE Apple., but also enjoy playing some games which the PC is usually better for. Right now I have crappy P4 1.3ghz which barely gets the job done for gaming. Been thinking about upgrading the PC somehow (new PC or upgrading motherboard, etc) for the gaming.

But I have a PB 15" and PM G5 -- starting to get too many computers in the room (haha....)

Anyway, I wouldn't be too afraid of growing to use your PC more than your Apple. I don't think that would happen. Using OSX is so much more enjoyable and pleasant. You'd probably just fire up the PC for gaming and that's it.

7. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

That is my exact set-up....scary
    Does it have a gig of RAM?
    And I have it on a desk and I game on it....

8. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

As noted by others, PC gaming is much superior to the mac. More titles no porting, cheaper parts for the computer. I would suggest a 12" powerbook. That will do everything you need and is truly portable. Plus it gives you more money to throw down on a very nice graphics card. By the way, a good place to find specs on build-your-own computers is arstechnica. They have the Budget Box up to the God Box. They have a new section dedicated to Shuttle size boxes. Good luck building a new PC.

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I agree with everyone else. I use my iBook for the internet, work, and iTunes (AirTunes). I purchased a Dell just to play games on. My oly problem is a lack of desktop space, but I manage. :)

10. crossed-over thread starter macrumors member

Ha! Yeah it has a gig of ram! Are you sneaking into my apartment just to play games on my mac? :eek: