Love my new iMac just one big issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by njfirefighter, Dec 27, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi everyone I looked around the forum and online alot and I could not find this answer so I am sorry if this has been asked before. About a year ago my girlfriend convinced me to switch to a mac when the time came for a new computer and I grew to love it little problem when she set it up she made the account pw (yes its the admin account and yes its the only account) so now I do not know the pw. I have the mac osx snowleopard 1.6.3 disc and could not reset the pw w/ that. When I restart the computer through the option to on the disc or through the normal way and then hold down C like I instructed to do in many right ups the computer screen remains blank white w/ the the apple logo continously beeping any help on how I can reset the pw this way or any other way ty in advance!

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Roll over and ask her what the password is.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

lol she forgot it as well well just say shes not the brightest apple in the bunch

4. macrumors regular

Maybe you should reinstall and use a password of your own?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Issue is it wont let me reinstall w/o the pw :mad:

6. macrumors 603

blueroom

Format the drive using disk utility first.

7. macrumors 6502

There's a terminal command for that I believe. Just don't know by hard, try googling that for a bit

8. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

9. macrumors 601

Apples come in bushels. The first thing that comes to mind that comes in bunches is bananas. Still a fruit, so at least the "enclosing category" was on target. :p

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

already tries that method found a few different command line articles none of them worked they all seemed to work but when I exit or try to reboot it just sends me to my home screen logged into admin and when I try to go change the pw the normal way as if I knew the original pw it is not correct. I have also tried the holding down c w/ the disc and all my computer does is stop show me an apple sign and beep

11. macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

This command sequence is to make the machine think that it is new, fresh out of the box and will let you make a new Administrator account.
    I have done this on as high as 10.6 and had it work, I have not tried it on anything higher.
    If you don't want to mess with this any more, I would recommend taking it into a Apple Store.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

well I figured it out since I was in my account which is an admin and not locked out I created a master pw for the first time I then logged out of my account put the wrong password in a few times than in asked me for the master pw and asked me if I wanted to change this users pw WIN :D thanks for the help guys!