Low cost alternative to Adobe Pagemaker

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by spaceballl, Feb 22, 2004.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hey all,

I'm looking for an Adobe Pagemaker like software for Mac OS X to buy for our IFC computer here to make newsletters. Any ideas?

-Kevin

2. fatzmack macrumors newbie

i do publishing with quark for my college's newspaper, and on ocassion, fiddle with pagemaker for fun.

but low end publishing titles? I dunno. If you wanted to get really primitive, you could resort to word processing applications and make use of tables and such...

3. rinseout macrumors regular

If you're willing to learn instead of spending money, there is TeX/LaTeX which can do a very good job of typesetting if you know what you're doing (and for some applications, even if you don't, really). That's what I use when I want something to look nice.

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Tex/Latex sounds interesting. I'll look it up. But anyone know of just like a 3rd party, lower end version of pagemaker? Maybe i'll just try to buy an older version?
    -Keivn

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, for cheap and low end, and I mean really low end, you can use the Paint part of AppleWorks to do it. It's very very basic, but it works. Heck I even got an A on one project with it! Then, I was lucky enough to be able to use that same project the next year! :cool:

6. logicat2001 macrumors regular

It's got pros and cons but overall I find it can be very useful. At first go I was a bit disappointed but after using the 30-day trial and actually reading through some of the documentation I found it to be quite full featured.

It's called "Create" by Stone Software. Free upgrades for life.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Have you tried Ragtime? Someone on MacRumors suggested it to me for small documents, and I've found it to be adequate. It's no Quark/Pagemaker, but it's not bad.

Here's the link.