Low-cost Color Ink-Jet Printers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2004
    San Francisco
    I saw Macworld's positive review of Canon's Pixma IP5000 printer (http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/reviews/pixmaip5000/index.php). I am in need of a low-cost (under $200) printer. Color is nice, and it would be nice to print things out in color (although I do not plan on printing photos from this printer). What do you think of this printer? I have been very impressed with Canon's Mac support, and I was wondering if this would be a good investment.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    In today's market, a $200 inkjet printer is not really cheap. I really like Canon, but I don't see the attraction for you. This printer is geared toward photography, but you don't really want to print photographs. My guess is that this printer requires fairly expensive ink cartridges. However, if you buy it, I expect that you will have a really good printer.
  3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN, USA
    I vote for Canon, too. And for what it's worth, their cartridges are the most cost-effective of the lot. The cost per page for Canon is less than any other printer. Just choose one that suits your needs. The ones that are called "photo printers" are, obviously better at photos than those that are not labeled as such, but the one I have (not "Photo Prrinter") prints out great pictures! So, for your needs, would choose accordingly.

Good luck!
  4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi, I have a Canon (see sig.) and for what you need I think the 4000 would be cheaper ($150 ?) but still great print quality. As for cost of ink, the cost to print is very good. It's better than my Epson R300, both have the separate ink tanks but I get longer life from the Canon. I think about 400 pages black text from one tank. I also by my tanks 2-3 at a time and that saves money, since I use mine for photos as well.
    Good luck with your choice :)