low end DV cam buying advice

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cybix, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I've discovered I have enough points saved up on my visa card to redeem them for one of the following three MiniDV cameras. They are just cheap, low end models.

Canon MV940:
    http://www.canon.com.au/products/visual/cameras/cameras_video/mv940.html

Sony DCRHC26:
    http://www.sony.com.au/dis/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=22123

Samsung VPD-365Wi:
    http://www.samsung.com/au/products/camcorder/digitalcamcorder/vp_d365wi.asp

I'm trying to decide which one to get.. they are all fairly simular in specs.

I'm a fan of Sony's Handycam's, so it's up there for me at the moment, but offers the smallest optical zoom lens. (20x). the Canon has 25x, the samsung has 33x.

The canon has nicer specs, I reckon.. with a slightly larger LCD screen, better focal length, but is slightly heavier than the Sony.

The Samsung might have the nice zoom, but only does DV out (not in), and has vague specifications on their site. The sony and canon do DV in/out. The canon has a wireless remote too.

The sony accepts 25mm filters, the canon does not, the canon has a built in lens cover, unsure about the sony.

The sony has spot focus and metering, 24 steps of exposure controls, etc. The canon has whole area/centre weighted average exposure metering, 11steps of exposure compensation, etc.

if any1 has any experience or advice with any of these models, please share your thoughts!

The Sony seems to have more accessories, etc, etc. hrmmm. Samsung, i need convincing more.

2. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

What will be your primary use?

Will you be using it as a deck to capture footage?

cheers

3. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I dont understand your question. 'a deck to capture footage' ?

I'm not going to be mowing the lawn with it.... thats for sure.

yeah I'll be capturing footage... errr, of something.

shooting video. not stills.. mainly family, a bit of sport or travel, etc.

might be able to redeem my visa points for gift vouchers, meaning i may have more options for a camera, rather than just the three i listed....

James

4. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

My bad...

By "capture" I mean..

Will you be shooting footage with the camera and then ... USING THE CAMERA TO IMPORT THE FOOTAGE INTO YOUR COMPUTER (CAPTURE)..

5. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

yes, then playing with it on the computer, then cutting to DVD.

I might hold out until early next year and get something beefier, maybe with high def too... hrmm

6. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was thinking of a way you could get the $$$ and then put the $$$ towards a better camera.. something that is 3 chip (tv quality)

cheers

7. NTJetboater macrumors member

cam

try to find an hc 30 or 32. I like those sony cams and they should be in the same price range.

8. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

might save my dosh and get an HDV cam... like the HC3 or something, will see. Not the best time of year to be blowing dosh on stuff like this... Christmas and all that :)

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you're getting one, then the Sony is probably the best bet. Don't worry about the lower zoom on it, unless you're using a tripod, then it's going to be pretty much unusable above about x12 unless you have incredibly steady hands!