Low Heat RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by plaidboy, Oct 11, 2004.

1. plaidboy macrumors newbie

I've been looking around for a 1GB stick of RAM for my new 12" Powerbook. I saw a couple of places that said Powerbooks *must* use low heat or low power RAM. This is always about $40 more.

Is there really a special kind of ram that I have to use or will any PC2700 200-pin SODIMM memory work?

Also, I saw Kingmax 1GB RAM is only $199 at newegg. Is this low heat/low power ram? Will it work for a powerbook? The price is right....

Thanks,
    plaidboy

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Go to:
    www.ramseeker.com

Enter the computer that you are looking to get RAM for. It will bring up a listing of places and prices of RAM for your computer. You can then go from there. Any of those places should work. I've used 1-800-4-Memory several times and have had great success with them. Others here would suggest going to:
    www.crucial.com

Hope that helps!

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have never heard of such a thing. i just got hte ram that was specified for a 12"er off apple on crutial and it works a treat!

i wouldnt fret about it!

4. plaidboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions!

I purchased 1GB of ram from 1-800-4-Memory for $239 as Jovian9 suggested.

They seemed very helpful over the phone. Although, the guy suggested that if I were doing memory intensive stuff, like high end graphics and video work, to get the Apple equivalent Samsung memory which was about $300. Is it that much better or are you paying for the Samsung name?

Also, they were a bit tricky with the shipping. The default was for FedEx 2nd day for $9.95. I opted for the US mail with insurance. Then I noticed at the bottom a message that said they would give me $2 off FedEx shipping, if I changed back to FedEx 2nd day shipping. So I changed it back.

What I didn't notice was that the discount was only if you clicked the "Change me" button in that message, so I got charged the full $9.95. :( Oh well. So if you buy from them, save yourself a couple of bucks on shipping, by paying attention to what the buttons say.

-plaidboy

5. bdomz macrumors member

Iv'e never heard of low heat ram. But I've used Kingmax brand before and never had any problems. (this was not in a powerbook though, it was a dell notebook)

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Low Heat RAM?

The Samsung OEM 1 Gb PC2700 SODIMM modules are a low-power-consumption design, this translates into less heat and a bit more battery life. You'll pay about 25% more for the Samsungs compared to third-party. Note that this must be the complete Samsung module, not Samsung chips on someone else's board.