Low Heat RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by plaidboy, Oct 11, 2004.

1. plaidboy macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2004
    I've been looking around for a 1GB stick of RAM for my new 12" Powerbook. I saw a couple of places that said Powerbooks *must* use low heat or low power RAM. This is always about $40 more.

Is there really a special kind of ram that I have to use or will any PC2700 200-pin SODIMM memory work?

Also, I saw Kingmax 1GB RAM is only $199 at newegg. Is this low heat/low power ram? Will it work for a powerbook? The price is right....

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    Go to:

Enter the computer that you are looking to get RAM for. It will bring up a listing of places and prices of RAM for your computer. You can then go from there. Any of those places should work. I've used 1-800-4-Memory several times and have had great success with them. Others here would suggest going to:

Hope that helps!
  3. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i have never heard of such a thing. i just got hte ram that was specified for a 12"er off apple on crutial and it works a treat!

i wouldnt fret about it!
  4. plaidboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 11, 2004
    Thanks for your suggestions!

I purchased 1GB of ram from 1-800-4-Memory for $239 as Jovian9 suggested.

They seemed very helpful over the phone. Although, the guy suggested that if I were doing memory intensive stuff, like high end graphics and video work, to get the Apple equivalent Samsung memory which was about $300. Is it that much better or are you paying for the Samsung name?

Also, they were a bit tricky with the shipping. The default was for FedEx 2nd day for $9.95. I opted for the US mail with insurance. Then I noticed at the bottom a message that said they would give me $2 off FedEx shipping, if I changed back to FedEx 2nd day shipping. So I changed it back.

What I didn't notice was that the discount was only if you clicked the "Change me" button in that message, so I got charged the full $9.95. :( Oh well. So if you buy from them, save yourself a couple of bucks on shipping, by paying attention to what the buttons say.

5. bdomz macrumors member

Sep 18, 2004
    Iv'e never heard of low heat ram. But I've used Kingmax brand before and never had any problems. (this was not in a powerbook though, it was a dell notebook)
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Low Heat RAM?

The Samsung OEM 1 Gb PC2700 SODIMM modules are a low-power-consumption design, this translates into less heat and a bit more battery life. You'll pay about 25% more for the Samsungs compared to third-party. Note that this must be the complete Samsung module, not Samsung chips on someone else's board.