low-level format utility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 5300cs, Oct 25, 2004.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

My PB's disk has some sort of security software still installed which is keeping me from installing an OS on to it.

Does anyone know a good low-level formatting util under OS 9 or previous? I've Googled & searched VersionTracker but haven't found anything really good yet...

Any help appreciated :)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What type of security program?

Boot block/driver level? or something else?

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I remember than a low level format on an IDE drive will kill it, well that was the advice in my old Amiga magazines.

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I've used Jiiva's Superscrubber to do a low level format before, but just to completely erase my previous data.

5. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

I dunno what kind of security software. I fired up Disk Setup after booting off a CD and it said "Unrecognized disk or security software still installed. This disk can still be initialized." I did a 0 out thingy, but that doesn't seem to have done any good.

I wanted a disk utility that I could boot off of and just wipe the damn thing completely.

I bought it off an auction, and it worked perfectly until a few days ago. I notified the seller and he said to send it back to him. It's going to be his problem not mine ;)

Thanks for the help, though.