low light work solution

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by macOSX-tastic, Mar 8, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

hi guys....i just had a great idea whilst typing/taking notes for coursework whilst suffering from eye strain. i used a maglite mini (AA batteries) in candle mode, to stand up behind my powerbook whilst it is on my iCurve. with the other lights in the room off, it provides a pleasant, diffused light which illuminates my work area and my keyboard. the lighting on the PB screen is also turned down to minimum. i might develop it further with a kensington Flylight 2.0 attached to my USB hub, because i definately enjoy working like this....my bright desk light hurts my eyes when im working for long periods.

this is definately better during the evening:D

here is the result in picture form:

tell me what you think!

S

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 65816

stonyc

3. macrumors 65816

chaos86

yeah i did something similar in my room. instead of using my big long flurescent uplight that is mounted to the wall in my dorm room, i use 3 small lamps with light diffusing lamp shades. much better for working on anything that doesnt require color accuracy, and also much better for you know what when my fiancée comes over than a bright fluro.

4. macrumors 65816

stonyc

Someone here I think used an iBook cover to make a light.. now that was really cool.

EDIT: Found it...

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

oh yeah, i remember that!

still, this is for when im working for long periods to avoid eye strain....the iBook wall light is just pretty.

S

6. macrumors 68000

Nooo! Your PowerBook is on fire! :D It does actually look like you set your wall alight :p

Cooking? I mean, you wouldn't want to get distracted by the bright light when chopping a tomato :eek:

7. macrumors 65816

chaos86

i find it hilarious that you said that; she's a culinary arts student and 'cooking' is a code word we use :D

EDIT: i feel like i just shared a bit too much...

8. macrumors 68000

In which case "chopping a tomato" sounds kinda S&M :eek:

9. macrumors 6502a

bursty

Definitely looks cool but why not just use a desklamp? :confused:

10. macrumors 68000

His setup is a very ambiant, soft light, which is generally kinder on they eyes

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i have a desklamp, this was to avoid eye strain.....i turned it off because it was giving me an awful headache and then thought of this. ive stopped work now so desk lamp is back, until next time....:D

S

12. macrumors 65816

realityisterror

When I had my iMac I had a similar lighting situation in my room and it was definitely much easier on the eyes...

Now, overhead, halogen track-lighting... :(

13. macrumors 6502a

strange.. i would think working in low light conditions would actually be worse for your eyes in the long run. i mean i understand having a dim light behind the screen of a computer if the ambient surroundings are dark but geez.. having the pb's screen to low seems a bit too much for me.

14. thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

each to his own i guess...it varies from time to time, according to tiredness, etc....its nice to have the option. even if it's for an hour or two and then back to normal, it's a nice break from the glare.

S