Low Resource Brower for Windoze??

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacPhreak, Mar 22, 2005.

1. MacPhreak macrumors regular

I picked up a 'freebie' Compaq laptop this past weekend, and after fighting with it for a full day and going through three different variations of Winblows, finally got it to recognize a wireless card. But, it's a P133, and currently has 24mb of RAM, so Firefox runs like a dog, and I refuse to run IE. I'm trying to locate some RAM for it (proprietary, as far as I can tell), but in the meantime, are there any low-resource browsers for Windows? Something like iCab?

It's not Apple, but it was free, and at least it's not Dell. If it's any consolation, I'm typing this on my trusty old Pismo :)

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i would say an old version of netscape but they do a pretty crappy job of rendering a lot of sites, including this one. you can find them somewhere but i cant remember where; pretty much any old version all in one place

3. rasp macrumors regular

rasp

4. MacPhreak thread starter macrumors regular

Hadn't thought about an old version of Netscape. I'll give one a try. IIRC, the place that has all the Netscape browsers is something like "Browser Central" on Netscape's site.

iCab doesn't do a great job of rendering sites, either, including MR, but at least it runs on my PB540c!! BBC News renders just fine, though, and isn't terribly slow.

5. MacPhreak thread starter macrumors regular

Looks perfect, I'll give it a go! Thanks much!

6. DrEasy macrumors member

K-Meleon

Try K-Meleon , it's a free gecko-based browser with native Windows widgets. It's got tabbed-browsing and is highly customizable.

7. khammack macrumors regular

Opera has claimed to be the world's smallest/fastest browser at some point. It's also standards compliant, and does a decent job rendering web pages. My mom's PC (similar specs, P100, low RAM) was so infested in spyware that unless she unplugged it the thing would wake up in the middle of the night and dial the internet.

So I installed linux (debian/woody) and opera for web browsing and email.

It wasn't snappy by any stretch of the imagination, but there wasn't any other browser I found that could render most web pages and was usable.

http://www.opera.com

-kev

8. MacPhreak thread starter macrumors regular

OffByOne is incredibly snappy on some pages, and slower on some of the more difficult pages, particularly MR pages. It also has a hard time rendering MR. But it's speed on most other pages more than makes up for it. And there's no annoying caching to the HD, which is a nice plus with an older, louder drive.

I'll give K-Melon a go tonight; I'm off to work and can't check it out now. But it certainly looks good.

Opera isn't free, is it? Last time I looked at it, some years ago, they had banner ads built in to the browser unless you paid for it.

9. khammack macrumors regular

That's true, Opera is a proprietary browser. It's free of charge if you can deal with the ads, otherwise you'll have to pay.

Personally, when I was still using Opera I found it easy to ignore the ads. If you have a browser loaded with most any webpage these days you'll find that the web page itself has more ads, that are more obnoxious than opera's own.

Just a matter of preference I guess.

-kev

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

with pithhelmet in sarfari you wont get any adds and there is ad blocker for FF too, i refuse to put up with ads if i dont have to

11. MacPhreak thread starter macrumors regular

K-Meleon works great...after dealing with .DLL foolishness (yet another reason to use Macs). It's a good compromise between speed, accurate rendering of web pages, and hard disk usage. It uses the HD a bit (versus not at all for OffByOne), but it accurately renders pages (OffByOne is a little goofy for some pages).

If Opera has ads, I'll have to pass. I get bombarded enough. Which is part of the reason I bought an iPod: commercial-free music. One less chance for advertisers to overwhelm me.

Excellent suggestions, thanks folks!