Low System Memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Espnetboy3, May 18, 2005.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Over the last two weeks about i will be on the internet and sometimes it will say on a pop up low system memory cannot load image. What does this mean? Lately I feel like my computer has been a bit sluggish also. Im running 10.3.9 with 1.1gig ram, 733mhz powermac quicksilver g4. I use onyx to clean and keep things fresh. Any suggestions? My quicktime was running bad when i would render out video also, I had to go back and reinstall 6.5.2

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Take a screen shot of your activity monitor under memory...

3. mms macrumors 6502a

With a gig of RAM, I don't see how just browsing the internet can use up all of the system memory. Are you doing something else simultaneously or running something in the background? Otherwise, I would suspect that there is something else going on. Like iGary said, look at Activity Monitor. It's under /Applications/Utilities.

4. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

For instance it seems everything I have been doing lately my computer is working twice as hard. Like when I took a screen shot it spiked my cpu usage to 100 percent for a few seconds.

Attached Files:

5. mms macrumors 6502a

The window needs to show "System Memory" on the bottom instead of "Disk Usage". Disk usage is the space left on the hard drive. System memory is the RAM usage for your system.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

#1 - Ditch Konfabulator.

#2 - Show the system memory panel.

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Konfabulator, that's likely to be your problem.
    You have like 6 things all taking about 20MB RAM and 180MB VM.

8. mms macrumors 6502a

Even though I wholeheartedly agree with the above advice to ditch Konfabulator, I still think that there's a discrepancy. He says in the beginning that he has a gig of RAM and I don't see any processes, even the Konfabulator widgets together, taking up that much. I guess we have to wait and see the screenshot of the memory panel first, though.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Well I don't see a lot of processes either, but the VM swapping could be effed up, which is why we need to see the right panel. Perhaps he's fixed it.

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sounds like something he's running has a memory leak.

11. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

well im only running the weather and an internet thing through konfab. Here is the new screenshot.

Attached Files:

12. cemorris macrumors regular

Could this be a simple ad popup from an internet site? I have seen many of these for variaous websites trying to get you to click on them. Can you post a pic of the actual popup that says low system memory?

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

You're probably getting tired of screenshots but try this, it may give us more information. When you have the activity monitor window open click on the Real Memory heading in the process window until you have an arrow pointing down next to it. Then scroll up to the top of the process window and take your screen shot. This will show you/us the biggest memory users and hopefully lead us to the culprit.

Thanks

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I, for one, would like to see the actual message from Safari.

15. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok well first off, I believe the messages came when I was using internet explorer the very few times I do use it. But besides that message it just seems like my computer has been running really slow. If i do have a memory leak would a clean install of Tiger fix this?

16. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

My bad, here is the picture.

Attached Files:

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Umm.. I don't think Onyx is compatible with Tiger.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/english.html

That's where your problem is.

Get rid of it and reboot, and I'm sure everything will be hunky-dory.

18. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i think that he said he is running 10.3.9 and not tiger

am i wrong here?

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, you're right. I was snowballed by:

Well, anyway.. it's doubtful that it's a memory leak because of Panther. More likely it's a 3rd party app, assuming it's actually a memory leak, which I'm not convinced it is. "Sluggish" is a subjective term.

What is your uptime?

20. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i am gonna have to go and vote on konfab being the culprit

ditch it and see if it fixes your problem, it might just be worth it to upgrade to 10.4 if you want a BETTER konfab i.e. dashboard and it could possibly fix your issues. :)

21. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

10.4.1 fixed excessive memory use bug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I previously ran 10.3.9 before upgrading to 10.4. I also use PowerPoint almost every day. Under 10.3.9, I never had any memory problems with my iBook G4 512MB. PowerPoint typically used around 40MB of memory and I almost never had any VM page-ins. However, with 10.4, PowerPoint sometimes exploded into using over 300MB! My files weren't large, so I think this was clearly a 10.4 problem. I had hundreds of page-ins and my system ran really slow. However, with the 10.4.1 update, by memory usage is back to normal and I never have any page-ins. This was a nice update from Apple.

that might be your answer as well

:p

22. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its just really weird that when I do something in photoshop cs2 or just basically load a website or launch itunes my cpu usage spikes to 100 percent for a few seconds. Just typing this its bouncing from 35-50 percent.

23. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

maybe you should do a system hardware test and see if some of your RAM isnt working
    :confused:

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sluggish performance is often the result of a build up of virtual memory swap files, which don't go away on their own. Rebooting gets rid of all of them; logging out gets rid of most of them.

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

iTunes? One quick easy way to find out is to log in as another user and see if you see the same problems. If not, you know it's relegated to your user and much easier to troubleshoot. If you DO see it on another user, then you can bet it's something more complicated like bad kernel extensions, corrupt system prefs, or bad hardware.