Low Tar Cigarettes No Safer Than the Rest

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Jan 10, 2004.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Just goes to show there is no "safe" cigarette. My apologies to any smokers here who hate me for posting this.

story here

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

*Cough*There is never going to be a safe cigarette. NEVER. So to all you smokers get off your ass and quit.*Cough*

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Good article eyelikeart, thank you for posting. It is a good reminder at the begining of a new year, quit smoking your body, family, and friends will thank you.

I agree also that there will never be a safe cigarette. It has been tried many times and failed as the article indicates. They just end up smoking more so they can get the needed nicotine.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

marlboro has had little papers attached to a certain percentage of their cigarette packs, and has for a couple of years, that say exactly this-- just because you bought light cigarettes with "lowered tar", doesn't mean they're any less harmful to your health--

and eye, i couldn't hate you for posting something like this! now, if you somehow made laws prohibiting cigarette smoking, i might, but as long as i have the right to smoke if i so desire, you most certainly have the right to point out the health risks.

paul

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm reminded of the Woody Allen movie, Sleeper, where he awakes out of cryo in the future and finds out that its actually healthy to smoke. :D Damn funny and even better knowing that the movie was made in 1973!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070707/

Glad I never smoked :D

D

6. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

haha...fair enough...

I doubt I'll be in any position to ban it... ;)

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I very glad too Mr. Anderson, otherwise you might end up looking like yoru Avatar! Smoking tends to prematurly age skin. :p

8. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

and it's worse for women...as they are more prone to these skin aging effects...

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly that is true. It seems that it doesn't have much of an effect on quiting. Nicotine drug addiction is so strong.

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If this thread would cause one person to quit smoking. Then it makes eyelikeart's post well worth the space. :)