Low Tech

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Guitarius, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Okay, I'm curious. How many of you carry around "low tech" devices that you use on a daily basis?

Personally, I never leave home without my page-a-day calender and a pocket notebook with an ink pen. My pen is kinda fancy though, a Fisher Space Pen.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I find it easier to carry around a calender and notebook than a palm or some other gadget. I've tried, but it just found it's way into my desk drawer and I haven't used it in years. I often get ragged on by my geeky friends about this.

I guess it's a "what works for you" kinda thing.

Just wondering.

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Palms/PDA's suck...calendars and notebooks are the way to go. I use pencils :)eek:) daily for writing stuff down, and carry a pilot G2 pen all the time. I really don't like "high-tech" gadgets (other than camera and computer) being in my day-to-day life. I love paper. Maybe that's part of the reason I love to rock climb and boulder, there is nothing infused into bouldering by our culture...it's you and the rock, no microchips attached. :D

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Your rank just dropped on the geek scale my friend. Congratulations.

Now get out!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My girlfriend's pretty low-tech but she writes very neat notes. :)

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I wear shoes sometimes.

Those are low tech.

/my violin is "higher tech" than most stuff
    //a lot of research, yo
    ///HA! YOU LIKE MY SLASHES, CHUNDLES?
    ////SLASSHHHHIEEEEESSS!!!!

6. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

LoTechie

Dave, I always carry a Parker ball pen but I have it charged with gel ink. It just suits my writing style. My Parker fountain pen stays on my desk. A note book or paper are always with me. It's damned hard to make a sketch with a PDA.
    Grey Beard

7. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I've not upgraded to those fancy electronic human brains yet...simple flesh and blood for me.

Also, books and paper...I usually carry around a little paper notebook to jot things down. For me, electronic is good for storing notes, not taking them. I tried using a my father's PDA (which he doesn't use anymore either) for a while...stopped in a few weeks.

8. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I still use paper, pens and pencils for note taking. Oh, and I am still using my 35-mm Nikon SLR camera. Still have not ventured into the digital camera world. I am pretty sure that if I were to have a palm device, it would be in a drawer after a few weeks of use.

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I still use my Franklin-Covey day planner. I can't bring myself to get a PDA...

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, sometimes I use a camera that doesn't even have a light meter :eek:
    I use pencils in one of my classes (Elementary Music Theory, death besets anyone who writes on music with ink). In fact, I haven't taken my PowerBook to a class in almost two years.

Also, I don't think Fischer Space Pens should count as Low-Tech :p

11. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I have a mobile phone with a b/w screen. IMO that's pretty low-tech :p

But seriously.. I often carry with me a pen, and sometimes even paper too. For note making and stuff. No fancy PDA for me.

/Snow, Walk, Uphill both ways
    //This is a C-style comment

12. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I too tried the pda route a couple years ago. Lasted about 3 weeks before I realized that paper is more conveinent because I don't have to tell it if i'm trying to write or draw. Now I just carry a cheap pen (cause I lose them) and a small spiral notebook.