Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
http://www.lowendmac.com/rumormill/02/0725.html

Except it is all a bad joke. There is no evidence what this article says is true. Perhaps we should all ask this person to pay for our iTools account for making us believe that Apple indeed is going to make iTools free again and lower the price of Jaguar update.

And he says:

"Apple has relented. iTools will remain free and the Jaguar update will only cost enough to cover duplication, packaging, shipping, and handling."

It makes it sound like it actually happened. When in fact it has not! Rumors should speculate, not say things are matter of fact when they aren't.

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Hmm.

Interesting. Let's see if there are any other articles by this 'Anne Onymous.'

http://www.lowendmac.com/rumormill/02/0729.html
Here is one offering to put old SCSI disks in a Mac plus set up as a server for you. Sorry, no internet, the just use point-to-point with 14k modems, but they offer OS 6 compatibility.

http://www.lowendmac.com/rumormill/02/0405.html
Ah yes, one about all the secret projects in Apple R&D. Like the one based on the Commedore 128, that can link up to 64 processors with each one controling a seperate 4 MB of RAM. And the 68060 running at 2 Ghz, complete with a Power PC emulator. And the asynchronous system with slots for up to 8 processors, running at different speeds-just add a new one when the 1.8 Ghz chip comes out. That leaves my favorite, the guys who supposedly got OS X running on a Geforce 4.

Face it, you've been had. Frankly, this is something I would have expected of a SpyMac type. You disapoint me.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
I'm not saying that I've been had...I'm saying a lot of people will feel like they've been had...put it in print that something "has" happened vs. might happen or is expected to happen, you turn your statement from rumor to supposedly fact. But when it proves to not be fact, it shows that it is one big lie. And in the end it makes your rumors have ZERO credibility whatsoever if you go to read them in the future. But for those not knowing whether someone is reliable or not, they'll really be angry because they go and sign up now for an iTools account, only to find they lose it September 30th, and then what happens? Relying on a statement "might happen" vs. "has happened" makes a world of difference. The language he uses is extremely deceptive. Deception should not be tolerated. Worse yet, I go to try and e-mail him my qualm and his e-mail address bounces.

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
Ok, let's sue the Onion then. It's only fair. After all, there is no disclaimer, and that poor Chinese newspaper completely fell for it, so it must be their fault.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed the thing about your email bouncing. That might be because this is a ficticious person, a fact indicated by the name that is a pun.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Funny?

If brevity is the soul of wit, then this article is the soul of stupity. You're not funny - stop trying so hard and maybe people will laugh.

dwishbone

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
On the Moon
Anne Onymous is just a play on words.
say it fast and it reads "Anonymous"
its a complete fake that is for sure.
it was good until the last paragraph or so when they say things about bleeding their customers and about jets and all that.

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
The new PowerMac will have a tazer built right into the case to keep away crazed onlookers!

You can buy 4 Cinema Displays with no borders all made into one screen!

Apple has now converted to using a two button mouse!

The new TiBooks reach 1Ghz!

G4 iBooks!

I had sex last night!

(In order from least likely to most likely rumors)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by Sherman
The new PowerMac will have a tazer built right into the case to keep away crazed onlookers!

G4 iBooks!

I had sex last night!

Um, I sure hope they update the TiBooks before the iBooks... its more reasonable. Ah, too bad your sex was just a rumor :p :eek: :eek: :D :D ;)

-----
"Its not having what you want, its wanting what you got..."

gopher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by Sherman

G4 iBooks!

I had sex last night!

OK, I can see your humor in these statements. Why would I want to know if you had sex last night?

ROFL.

But I stand by my point...rumor or not, Lowendmac usually just reports the facts. And if someone doesn't check the heading of the page, they are likely to think this is for real. For goodness sake, it is what we all WISH would happen. So many are upset over iTools (oops .Mac pricing) it practically begs to be true because Apple has changed its mind in the past...only it isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.