Lower-Cost iPhone Said to Use 'Super-Thin' Plastic and Fiberglass Shell in 4-6 Colors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is reiterating his claims that Apple's low-cost iPhone will have a 4-inch screen, plastic casing, and be available in a range of colors similar to Apple's iPod lineup, sharing a few new details in a report highlighted by AppleInsider. In particular, Kuo shares offers some information on the device's plastic and fiberglass casing.
    [​IMG]
    Kuo had previously suggested the phone would be available in a range of six colors, but is now being more cautious in suggesting "between four and six."

Key Apple supplier Foxconn will manufacture complete phones, he says, while Green Point will make additional casings for phones that will be assembled by Pegatron. The analyst has previous suggested that Apple is looking to diversify suppliers, and that Pegatron would be responsible for assembling the majority of the low-cost iPhones.

Article Link: Lower-Cost iPhone Said to Use 'Super-Thin' Plastic and Fiberglass Shell in 4-6 Colors

2. macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

But will it have a barometer?

3. macrumors 6502

My cat agrees.

4. macrumors 604

bushido

apple making something thinner? really? next u r gonna tell me that they r gonna add another row of apps :p

5. macrumors 6502

magid

What would the price points be?

6. macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I think I would actually be game for the cheaper iPhone model when they hit the used markets. Of course, it depends on what's inside... I've gotta say though, a Product(RED) iPhone would be pretty cool. :)

For the first time in a long time, I'm excited to hear about possible new product rumors.

7. macrumors member

It would be cool to return to the candy imac style. Translucent back, showing the internals.

8. macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I'd love to see an iPhone made in the shape of a 4/5 but with a polycarbonate shell as was used in the old white plastic MacBook.

Basically a white iPhone 4 but with no metal rim.

9. macrumors 68030

fun173

"Help I snapped my iPhone in half!!!"

10. Guest

Sky Blue

ghettiPhone

11. macrumors member

Beginning of the end for Apple if this happens.

They're not a company who competes on price by giving up quality.

12. macrumors 65816

Seeing a bondi-blue kind of iPhone is kinda cool. Rather than plasticising the body and try to disguise it like metal, they're using the theme of cheap and cheerful. So they are using the plastic t their advantage.

Samsung, are you observing?

13. macrumors 65816

They should make the screen at least 6" so they have a chance at competing with Samsung :rolleyes:

14. Guest

Sky Blue

Colours: Black, Midnight, Coal, Noir

15. macrumors 68000

who said they were giving up quality? the 3gs and the 3g felt premium in the hand, and this design will be a radically improved 3gs/3g casing design tagged along with a very nice display for a phone that will be cheap to the masses

16. macrumors 65816

OMG you're sooo right eh? Remember that stainless steel iPhone 3G? Oh right, my bad.

----------

No no no no. Their rumoured TV set should be the new phone.

17. macrumors 6502a

Sorry, what were you talking about again?

18. macrumors newbie

Honestly, this is the most sensible rumor I've seen.
    They need to retire the 4 and 4S this year in order to get all phones on the same 4" screen and lightning connector.

19. macrumors 6502a

Asclepio

no way!

20. macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

The internals? All you're going to see pretty much is a big battery.

21. macrumors 68030

Won't having so many product lines hinder apple? This was one of the problems they had in the 90's when they were tanking.

22. macrumors member

Now that mobile-phones are becoming a popular web browsing and texting platform with lesser actual phone calling. I hate to admit it but the iPhone 5's screen is way too narrow for web-browsing in portrait mode, and fails in its landscape mode too. I'd rather it sport a wider 5" screen than the current skinny one.

23. macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Honestly wouldn't mind a colored iPhone

24. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

What about Snow, Ice and Frost?

----------

Oh yeah, they're going out of business.

25. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I know what you mean. I wouldn't get one personally but I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

These look really nice:

[​IMG]