Lower Prices, Any Chance?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zflauaus, Jun 5, 2005.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    With WWDC 2005 coming up tomorrow, actually less than 24 hours, the iBook seems like it will most likely be updated. If not, there will most likely be a riot or whatever. Do you think there is a chance of the price for the base iBook to be lowered? Also, off topic, how long would the current iBooks stay in stock (in Apple's "Special Deals" thing?)
  2. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia

Usually when Apple releases new products, the superseded ones are withdrawn immediately. Old models can be frequently found in Applecentres / department stores - I got my G5 the day the new ones were released and saved over $800. Shop around - I am sure you will be able to find a bargain.

If they DO update tomorrow......

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...price changes would depend on exactly what the upgrade is - for example, if it is just a simple "speed bump" of 100mhz or so than at this point I would say they'd have to lower the prices too. But if there is some huge radical change announced that greatly enhanced the desirability of the iBook then the prices will probably stay close to the same. As for clearing out old models, how long they stay on Apple's page depends purely on how long it takes to sell the remaining stock, and how many they have is anyone's guess....oh yeah!
  4. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    We might not see an update for a while if chip problems remain the way they are. And if Apple switches to x86 well...it might be a long way off for all Apple hardware.
  5. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Unless they revamp the PB line (only months after they did already) then the iBooks will be kept in check spec wise, and so a price drop should ensue.

Thats my guess.
  6. kwajaln macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2004
    I agree, a price drop for the iBook is very, very likely. They almost HAVE to, really. . . .
  7. azntigger0212 macrumors newbie

Jun 2, 2005
    hmmmm interesting....

this is off topic but are there any cons to buying at a physical apple store as opposed to online?
  8. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    uhm.. other than bringing things home that day? not really any problems. i think you may be forced into taking it to that store or physical store for hardware related issues. i might be wrong about that.

and i looked at your sig... if you're waiting for a powerbook update you're gonna be waiting awhile. updated only 5 months ago... after almost a year of no updates... i wouldn't expect anything soon... also note the 12" powerbook is video card crippled compared to the other 2 models.