LOWEST requirements for Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by FF_productions, Jun 19, 2005.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It may sound like it should be posted in "Digital Video", but this is a different issue. I've noticed that pros seem to use Final Cut a lot more than Premiere Pro, hence the reason I'm making the switch...I want to know whats the lowest requirements for Final Cut Pro, (but still be able to play video in real-time, somewhat)...Is the G3 extinct? I know a g4 would do the job. I don't have the money for a g5 right now...I don't know much about Macs (I've heard of the Mhz Myth, so Mhz and Ghz stuff doesn't scare me)
    I KNOW it would make sense to go to the final cut website and check the requirements, but I want to get some input from you guys about what would do the job for Final Cut...
    Thanks

2. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I don't do any editing whatsoever but from what Ive seen looking around these threads some people do video editing on 1GHz G4 but I think that that is the lowest you want to go since Final Cut is a beast (which version are you going to use Pro or Exspress). HD requiers a 1GHz or faster prosesser also make sure you have alot of ram even if you can get a G5. Also I wouldn't go for any G3, check eBay or this marketplace for people selling older G4s.

3. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

my plan is to most likely get a g4, see how it works out and maybe upgrade it...

4. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Just to let people know--I might be getting a G3 Powermac...for free..Would it be possible to upgrade (CPU, Ram, Graphics Card) so I could use Final Cut?

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

As long as you have the minimum ammount of RAM, I dont think you can even startup Final Cut if you dont meet that minimum. I think the min is 384MB or something...

6. juble macrumors newbie

I'm running FCP HD on a 700MHz G4 eMac with 512 RAM and it goes fine. The main problem I get is dropped frames which isn't that often but is annoying when capturing or printing to video. Livetype is pretty clunky. Not sure about v5 though. Having a separate HD for DV files helps too.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I edit on my eMac with no problems (specs in sig). I use FCP 4.1.

I can even play with Safe RT, cuz some effects can run in real-time on my system :)

8. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

FCP will not even start until you have a 500MHz G4 and 512MB of RAM so just make sure you meet the minimum!

On side note I find it kind of funny that someone who can afford a $1000 piece of software can't afford a $500 mac mini. Don't even bother answering this FF_productions because we all know what you are doing and if you answer this you will open a huge can of worms!

9. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

as long as he isn't selling his creations/making any money out of it he shouldn't get into trouble. i think the main way software companys make money is through profesional corporations, not the little man.

10. mauly macrumors 6502

..or he can just buy Final Cut Express HD, well thats what I did....

11. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

like i said before, I'm getting a powermac g3 to start off (for free). So I'm now asking if i can upgrade it to meet FCP standards? I'm not sure how I'm going to get final cut (don't worry I won't do it illegally, it's a pain to do it illegally anyway and I can get it in trouble) but that will be a worry for later. My focus is on the switch from 3 years of pc (virus scanning, defragmenting all the time, spyware checking, re-installing windows xp twice, restart computer 100's of thousands of times) to the Mac...

12. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

The requirements can be changed by editing the FCP packages using a right click and I think it was "Open Package" Thats how I made it run on my G4 400 PCI Mac, when it requires AGP. :D