LoZ: The WindWaker

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rower_CPU, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

So my pre-ordered copy came in the mail this week and I've gotten to play a little bit. I'm having a great time.

I just wanted to get impressions from other people who have played it, and maybe answer questions for those considering getting the game...

2. Tomasz macrumors regular

Well, I ordered last year... and had a long wait. I got it Wedsnesday, and so far its awesome. Although, my actual playing time has been low. I need a real vacation.

But, it seems to me that it is awesome. It brings back a feeling of the old SNES version.

I really like the zelda series... (even bought the N64 just to play it... 200$ to play zelda... ha).

Nintendo is making a lot of money off of me... I will probably be buying a game boy advance just to play as tinker(?) in the game.

I hope you enjoy the game... i know I will when I can really sit down and play :)

Tomasz

3. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, I've noticed Nintendo doing that a lot, integrating GBA and GC. Metroid Prime has some extras that can be unlocked via playing Metroid Fusion.

I agree on the game play thus far. Fun graphics. Great sound. Good in game support; if you start wandering around an area you'll get some helpful hints.

Plenty of fun sidequests, too. I spent plenty of time on Windmill Island doing as much as I could figure out before moving on to Dragon Roost Island. Lots of fun characters to interact with.

I too am a Zelda addict from way back. The only Zeldas I never beat were Majora's Mask for N64 and maybe one of the Gameboy ones...:D

4. Omad0n macrumors regular

I too got Zelda:WW and I think it's great! I'm on something like the 3rd or 4th dungeon and the game just keeps getting better. I will admit I'm a bit sad that the graphics department decided to go with cel shading as opposed to soemthing realistic. And yet the cel shading is growing on me, and they did do a much better job with it then I thought possible. As to the side quests, anyone else think that nintendo is making ther egames a bit easier these days, but wit more side quests that can be damn near impossible at times? I'm not complaining mind you. I think it's great, cause then it allows for the casual gamer to beat the game, and the hardcore fan to conquer it, while both getting appropriate challenges.

5. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Anyone else own this game yet?

I frickin love it. I've been playing it pretty much non-stop since I got it on the day it was released. I probably should have beaten it by now, but I've been spending most of my time doing the sidequests and just taking my time to explore everything.

The graphics are fantastic. They're not the absolutely BEST cel-shading I've seen (some problems with clipping, etc.) but they're right up there as number 2 or 3. I think the animation of everything is pretty much the best of any game though. Just the way Link's eyes will move left or right if you're sidling on a ledge and nudge the control stick is frickin cool, just because they took the time to put that one little piece in there. Really though, all of his facial animations are great.

So, anyone else have it? What do you think?

Or what's your fav. game right now and what are you waiting for to be released?

enoch

6. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Nintendo & Favorite game

I have no GameCube but recently the only games out there seem to be exclusives for the platform: Metroid Prime, Zelda, F-Zero, Resident Evil 0, etc. I am purchasing a GameBoy Advance SP at the end of the week and plan on buying a GameCube soon after F-Zero comes out here.

By the way, Aliens Vs Predator for the Mac is my favorite game. It has all the atmosphere from the Aliens film and I have not stopped playing it since the middle of last year when it came out.

7. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Well, concerning Aliens Vs. Predator, i have some unhappy news.

James Cameron has told Fox that if they go ahead and make the movie, he won't make another Aliens movie.

Obviously, that's not an exact quote, but it was something like that. Might be a good idea though, because I heard the script was terrible. The movie would probably harm both franchises more than it'd help it.

You might wanna even think of getting a Gamecube earlier than when F-Zero comes out. I believe F-Zero comes out in July. Or maybe later, I do know it was pushed back from the original date. But anyways, a lot of stores are giving free games with every purchase of Gamecube hardware.

And I'm happy to inform you that the new Zelda game has almost sold a million copies already, and Gamecube hardware sales are up 20%. Hoorah, Nintendo is back. :)

enoch

8. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

James Cameron held back the making of SpiderMan while he made Terminator 2, True Lies and Titanic. In the end SpiderMan was directed by Sam Raimy and was all the better for it. As for Aliens, since when is James Cameron committed to doing another one? For all we know he will be occupied with more disaster crap like Titanic and the license will be left on the back-burner, eventually being made by another all-style-no-substance director like parts 3 and 4 were.

Having said that, I really do not want Aliens Vs Predator made by the director of Resident Evil. His work might appeal to teenage boys but I think the licenses have a lot more potential than that. Perhaps Robert Rodriguez (the director of Desperado) would make something worthwile with it.

As for the GameCube, I will wait for F-Zero. Just the thought of the creators of Daytona USA taking over the license makes me look forward to this game more than any other I can remember.

9. Beigean macrumors newbie

on topic, yeah i got the Wind Waker. man, what a cool game! i'm glad it's selling well, as more people should get the chance to play through this.

I haven't beaten it yet. just recently got to some major turning point that made the game twice as cool.

i hear it has a fantastic ending, i can't wait.

10. PaisanoMan macrumors member

Getting back to the meat of the thread, I totally agree.

I remember seeing an early preview of Zelda for the GCN featuring a dramatic battle between Ganon and Link. The graphics were quite realistic (although Link's facial features looked a bit too feminine for my taste).

I also remember being quite shocked and dismayed when the new, cartoony, toon-shaded Zelda was announced by Nintendo. One look at Link's huge, oval eyes was enough to turn me off from the title. Even when I visited Nintendo's booth at E3, I largely ignored Zelda.

Now that I'm many hours into the game, I feel embarrassed for making such a snap judgment. I love the game's look and feel, including Link's eyes. I think his eyes are large to give them expressive quality (which is used to good effect in the game) and to emphasize their dynamic motion (watch as his eyes and head track convincingly nearby people and objects).

Zelda III for the SNES is one of my favorite games of all time. I haven't finished The Wind Waker, but it's pretty close in my book.

11. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Screw JC, just put Ridley Scott at the helm. Sure I liked Aliens, but that does not mean that Alien wasn't just as scary. RS just didn't have as many guns. They were both great movies, though, don't get me wrong.

Alot of people would like to see A v. P, and I don't think JC should have veto rights.

12. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

I've been doing the exact same thing. I spent countless hours looking for treasure, visiting islands and collecting maps. Now I'm finally back on track trying to beat the game.

Fun stuff.

Taft

13. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i haven't played it, i don't even have game cube.
    i have seen screenshots and movies of it, but i don't get why they made the graphics like that. i understand the concept on how it's supposed to be a living comic book (or at least that's what what my friend told me). they could have made awsome graphics. oh well. i don't even have the system anyway so...
    yeah

14. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

The next Zelda won't use the cel-shading, unless it's a direct sequel to Wind Waker. But I do know they're already working on a new Zelda, that should be out next year.

And Super Mario 128 should be out later this year. :)

Have any of you actually sat down and tried to figure out the Zelda timeline? Miyamoto sure doesn't like going in a straight line, hehe.

Off the top of my head, this is how the series goes, starting at the first game in the timline.

Ocarina Of Time
    Majora's Mask
    The Wind Waker
    Link To The Past
    Link's Awakening
    The Legend Of Zelda
    Zelda 2: The Adventure Of Link

I'm not sure about Link To The Past though, because that one all takes place in a dream.

enoch

15. guifa macrumors 6502

Someone who hasn't seen the game in action

Less of a living comic book than an in motion version of the original game. You can't judge the game from screenshots or small movies of it simply because of the effects that go on in game that you're probably not concious of when wathcing a movie.

Examples: Highly dynamic lighting and shadows, ultra-high fluidity of animation, tons of particle effects, distance blur, heat distortion, facial expressions. You can't comment on the graphics until you've seen the first boss, as I think most people here will agree.

16. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Re: Someone who hasn't seen the game in action

I agree 100%. That first boss was just amazing looking, as far as first bosses go.

And I agree about the graphics. I thought they looked good in the screenshots and stuff, and was a bit skeptical if I'd like the game or not. Then, I played the demo at the local Super Wal-Mart, and was just blown away with the amount of detail. Every facial animation, every weather related animation, etc. To get a good idea of the detail, when you're fighting someone, lock on to them, and then wait for them to attack. Your sword will glow green. Push the A (green) button to do a parry attack. While Link jumps up and slashes the enemy from above, if you watch his face, his eyes follow the guy all the way over. That's the little stuff I love about this game. Same goes for Metroid Prime too, like the simple little effects that happen to your visor when you get out of water or water gets splashed on you, go into a cold enviroment, or have an enemy explode on your visor.

See, little stuff does matter. :)

enoch

17. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

now that i have read your posts, i agree with you. i now get the point. thanks.:D

18. Rower_CPU thread starter Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Well, I beat it. :)

I've gotta say Ganon was pretty easy overall. I only had 15 heart containers and one bottle of Grandma's soup and one fairy and I managed to beat it on my first try.

Now it's time for me to go back and get all the stuff I missed...there are still 4 squares on my map I haven't filled in. :eek:

19. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Now you can go through and play the pointless "Second Quest." The only differences are that you wear your P.J.'s (technically, you're wearing the green tunic, but only "honest" people can see it) and now you can read the text from Valoo and other people where it was just symbols before.

I've taken a break from the actual game to just search around for heart pieces, etc. I'm pretty sure I missed some maps somewhere though. And I know a couple of them were for heart pieces, so now I can't get all the heart containers. :(

enoch

20. wire macrumors newbie

the new zelda is awesome. here in germany it`ll be released in may. i got the us-import - dont want to wait.
    the game is a must-have for the cube, like nearly every exclusice title (like metroid prime, mario sunshine and so on).
    the only problem is: you dont get money for playing videogames. and it steals a lot of time :)

21. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Zelda

The last zelda I played was the first one released on N64. Not the second one.

The first one was kinda cheesy. Too much new stuff...like the horse, where you get your swords, underwater levels.

Its just weird.

IMO, the BEST EVER zelda was on SNES. That game was so fun. I loved going to the fairys and getting better weapons.

Anyone ever beat that game? I did, had the gold sword and all. It was so great.

22. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i'd say im about 70% thru it, and i think its amazing. ive heard alot of selfstyled zelda fans talk about how it is rushed or not good enough. hogwash. the game is pure greatness so far. the puzzles are actually difficult. coming from the all too easy ocarina, its a refreshing return to zelda difficulty. i am making my way at the moment thru the first of the two mountaintops and am also trying to fill in my map before i get to the end of the game. its just great.

23. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

how true
    how true

24. comrade macrumors regular

Picked it up about 1 1/2 weeks ago, going to the two ancient entrances (I'll say no more for people who have't seen the suprise).

Bad ass game. My friends and roomates have just as much fun watching it as I do playing it. One of them started up his own game.

25. Omad0n macrumors regular

An update

So I've now beaten the game, and I can say that while I enjoyed the overall experience, I'm duissapointed at the overall difficulty. When I made my first comment a while back I fugered the game would increase i ndifficulty as I went on. Sadly it didn't. Gannon was a joke, didn't even use a sinle fairy or soup. Overall the game was a fun experience, but now that I'm done I don't have much motivation to finish getting the last 5 heart pieces I'm missing. Deffinetly not an all time favorite. Also I didn't think the ending was very good. Also I beat the game about a week and a half ago.