LSAT on Sept. 30 or Dec. 2?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Sep 15, 2006.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I need some thoughts about this... Basically, I have the choice of taking the LSAT on September 30 (I've already registered), or cancel it and postpone the test-taking to December. If I postpone, I will be able to do better on the LSAT. But on the other hand, if I postpone the test, I will miss out the early decision application deadline for a university I want to go to.

So which one is more important, the LSAT score or the early decision application? What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance...

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Are you actually going to study or are you just telling yourself you'll have more time to study?

I'd take it now personally, get it over with, and not have to worry about driving around in the snow (depending on your locale).

3. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I was dealing with the same issue. I decided to take it on Saturday December 2nd. I thought it would give me more time. I have been studying my butt off. I need to do really well if I am going to have half a chance of getting in anywhere.

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

i just took the lsat today and i don't need a great score...150 would be fabulous

my graduating gpa for my bachelor's is only 1/10 of a point shy of cum laude and my post graduate course work is summa cum laude so i am fortunate not to have to get something in the 160-170 range

now if i did get something in that higher range, i could go east to one of those great schools but i seriously doubt i did that

i do know one lady who got a 170 (99.9th percentile in usa) and she still decided on a california accredited law school instead of an aba law school which she could have waltzed into almost anywhere in the usa or canada but like me, she has a house here and family, and she had kids she has to raise

i give anybody a gold star who even attempts to take this grueling test :) ...and good luck to all who took it this week or will take it next week!

5. job macrumors 68040

job

Hahaha, crazy, I took it today too.

My GPA is pretty solid, but I'd really really like to get close to a 160 as possible.

I've been studying since August and I so relieved to get it over with.

To the OP: I would suggest taking it as soon as possible. If you put in a couple hours of practice every night you'll eventually get to the point where you just want to take it and get it over with. Having to wait a few more months would probably add more stress than taking it earlier. Playing the waiting game sucks, especially when you know you are ready to take it.

6. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

wow, i admire your determination

i don't think you will have any trouble with the bar a few years from now

7. job macrumors 68040

job

Haha thanks, I appreciate the kind words, but it was more of a "study a little bit over a long period of time" or "study a crap-ton one month before."

Also realizing that I was going to have a busy academic semester last fall didn't help out either.

Any idea where you want to apply yet?

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

i live in the south bay (in northern cal) so if i get a great score (160), then my employer (state CA) will send me, hopefully, to santa clara university...but since it's private and not affiliated with the state, it may be a longshot

otherwise, i will just go to a nearby local, non aba law school so i can be close to my house and not have to commute 2 hours each way (mostly due to traffic and not distance)

if i lived in the bay area proper, then there are a ton of law schools...hastings, boalt hall at cal, stanford, golden gate university, uc davis, university of the pacific, etc. (and they are all aba schools so i can take the bar in any state in any order...non aba schools require that you take the california bar first and practice for some time before trying another state)

where do you plan to go? and are there any law schools near you?

9. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm going to Denison University in Granville, Ohio, which is about 40 minutes of Columbus Ohio.

Right now I'm looking at Ohio State, Case Western Reserve, and U. of Cincy for in-state choices. Actually, I'm primarily looking at in-state because although I'm originally from Texas I can get in-state tuition at the public Universities which will help out a lot. I'd really like to go to Ohio State though but the median LSAT score has been creeping up over the last few years, so I hope I can score high enough to be competitive.

I've also looked at American down in DC, but whether or not I apply there will be determined by my score.

I hate having to wait to find out the scores. I really wish we could find out in a week haha.

Any idea what sort of law you'd be interested in?

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

on the ba level, i studied personnel management, and did some master's courses in arts administration (but didn't finish the mba), so i would have somewhat of a head start in hr law or entertainment law

but if i get a decent score and i get into law school, i think there's a lot of room to discover other areas so i will keep an open mind

i live in a very small town and many lawyers work from home and do a little of everything, so i may go that route

i am a rather old candidate to go to law school, so i wouldn't be able to be able to fool around in some low paying public interest positions or work for the county da and live on close to nothing for a long time

i plan to hit the ground running and make law a job to make money to pay bills, so i will probably gravitate to where there is work...i know, it doesn't sound glamorous but i don't have time on my side

i have already put in 20 years as a landscaper/gardener, after many years in retail, and 7 years as an all around computer guy, and at the same time was a rock musician for a long time during those years, so i am not out to change the world or anything as a middle aged man, but i do think i can change the world (a tiny bit) if i so much as win one labor or employment case for an employee and that would justify the whole journey for me (and i would prolly do that pro bono)

politically, i have always been rather neutral, either as a liberal republican or conservative democrat, but this current president has made me fired up due to the way he has abused the constitution and the law

i considered being a law student 12 years ago and i prepared for that, but then i walked away from it, but george w. shrub has made me so mad that i came out of the woodwork, much like the sleeping democrats did when they kicked out george's majority in the house and the senate in november 2006

geez, i hope i didn't get this thread banned to the political talk section ;)

11. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Man, funny to see this of all threads resurrected.

The days of the damned LSAT are long past. I've applied to several schools. So far I got accepted into Santa Clara University, with a $10,000 scholarship, and waitlisted at American University. Still waiting to hear from UC Hastings, George Washington University (long shot) and St. John's University.

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

hey raven,

jefhatfield here, but now i am 63 dot

if i do super well on lsat, i may see you in class at santa clara, but i don't like the idea of driving from monterey to santa clara every day, but santa clara is a great school

13. job macrumors 68040

job

Good to hear from you again. You're one of the older members that I can still talk to, especially since a lot of the people I used to know (Alphatech, krossfyter, King Cobra, et al) have left.

I used to be called hitman, if that rings any bells. You probably don't remember me, but it's all good.

Good stuff. If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up doing on the LSAT?

That makes sense, why limit your options when you've got so many right when you go in.

Gotta pay the bills, I hear that. As idealistic as I may be for going into law school, knowing how much debt I'll be in certainly makes me want to look for a well paying position.

Haha, naaaah. It's all good. :)