Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched TD-LTE capable models of the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display in China, adding to existing iPad models that support other cellular networks in China. The new models are almost certainly the then-unreleased devices that became supported with iOS 7.1 earlier this month.

chinaipadlte.png
Apple® today announced TD-LTE capable models of iPad Air(TM) and iPad mini(TM) with Retina® display, bringing high-speed LTE performance* to iPad® customers in China, are available starting today. The new iPad models give customers the ability to connect to today's most advanced cellular data networks at blazingly fast speeds, so users can surf the web or download email and apps even faster.

iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display models supporting TD-LTE also accommodate the TD-SCDMA mobile standard, and join existing iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display WLAN + Cellular models in support of Personal Hotspot connectivity and other advanced cellular technology (GSM/EDGE, DC-HSDPA, HSPA+) to provide customers in China fast cellular access in whichever iPad model they choose.
China Mobile began selling the iPhone 5s and 5c on its new 4G/TD-LTE network back in January, with these iPads capable of working on the same higher speed network.

Article Link: iPad Air and iPad mini With LTE Cellular Launch in China

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
I'm glad I don't live in China where I would have to wait awhile for products to come to my area.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
The great firewall of china will be even more easily accessible now!

Jokes aside, with my U.S. iPad can't I just visit china and pop in one of their sims for service abroad?

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Jokes aside, with my U.S. iPad can't I just visit china and pop in one of their sims for service abroad?
Yes you can, all cellular models of iPads is compatible with China Unicom, and the last two generations (iPad 4/Air/Mini/Mini with Retina) support both China Unicom and China Telecom.

The new models mentioned in original article are for China Mobile only, which runs *cough* so called "homebrew" *cough* 3G technology of China.

On the other hand, it could be a PITA for a traveler to buy Pay-as-you-go data SIMs in China...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.