LTE issues with iPhone5 on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hornickj, Feb 28, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I've noticed recently that when you place a call, the phone immediately goes from LTE to 4G. The data connection is barely usable while on a call, which defeats the sales marketing that AT&T uses against its competitors. I've validated the issue on multiple iPhone5's on AT&T network. I've also validated this on version 6.0.1 & 6.1.2 with the same results. Not sure if this is an AT&T issue or Apple, however should be addressed.

2. macrumors 68040

It seems that AT&T throttles data speeds during calls. I've tested this on an iPhone 4S with Tmobile and the speeds were still fast so I'm sure it's an AT&T specific thing.

3. macrumors regular

I have the same issue. Download speeds during a call are about .80 Mbps and usable, but uploads only go to about .01 Mbps.

I can load up a website but can hardly send a picture message via iMessage or MMS.

4. macrumors 68000

It isn't throttled. It is just it will not connect to LTE during the call and drop down to HSPA. And since AT&T HSPA speeds are horrible vs T-mobiles, you might notice a difference between the two.

5. macrumors 603

Menel

Known and intended behavior.

6. macrumors regular

I can't believe an upload speed of .00 or .01 is the intended behavior.

7. macrumors member

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. iMessages take way too long to deliver.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

So as an AT&T customer, we are supposed to just live with it? Why advertise talk and surf if they throttle it down?

9. macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

10. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes, its normal behavior.
    It switches from LTE to 3G/4G to make a call.
    And yes they have been throttling speeds during a call for a while now. Not sure what's the point behind it either but you can still do stuff. I get about 1mb down and half up while on a call so shouldnt be a problem doing most things you need to do. On Sprint or Verizon you cant do anything requiring data at all.

11. macrumors regular

As I mentioned earlier, "Download speeds during a call are about .80 Mbps and usable, but uploads only go to about .01 Mbps."

I wouldn't be complaining if I at least got .50 Mbps upload, but .01 is unacceptable, especially when not being able to send a picture via MMS or iMessage.

12. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes, I dont get why they do that either.
    Doesnt make any sense.

13. macrumors 6502

They probably do it simply to lighten the load on the network. They probably figured most people won't notice the throttling while on a call. It's definitely not unique to the iPhone, and the network could certainly handle full speeds while on a call, they just don't want to allow it. That being said, something is better than nothing (here's looking at you, Verizon and Sprint).