Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Apple, both the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus have "faster LTE download speeds" than the iPhone 5s, reaching up to 150Mbps thanks to the inclusion of the Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE chip, which supports LTE Advanced.

A demonstration of the speed difference between the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 6 when connected to a high-quality LTE network has been conducted by iClarified, suggesting the iPhone 6 is able to reach much higher speeds than the iPhone 5s.

The test, which was conducted in London, Ontario, Canada on the Fido network, shows the iPhone 6 topping out at download speeds of 101Mbps while the iPhone 5s reaches 35Mbps. Upload speeds are similarly improved, reaching 27Mbps on the iPhone 6.

According to iClarified, the tests, which were conducted using the Ookla SpeedTest.net app, were done in a spot in the city where the best reception was found.
We were able to consistently reach speeds in the high 90s with the iPhone 6. The absolute highest download speed we were able to obtain was 111 Mbps. I'm confident that if the conditions were optimal we could have obtained even higher speeds.
First introduced in 2013, LTE Advanced takes advantage of carrier aggregation technology, combining separate spectrums into a single faster connection to increase data speeds and network capacity. Several carriers offer the technology, and the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are Apple's first devices to support it. Because not all carriers support LTE Advanced and due to differences in connection strength, not all users may see increased speeds on Apple's new devices.

Along with LTE Advanced, Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus offer several other connectivity improvements, including support for up to 20 different LTE bands. With additional bands (7 more than the iPhone 5s), iPhone users are able to connect to more LTE networks when traveling abroad and LTE connections are available in more countries. The phones also include support for voice over LTE (VoLTE), improving voice quality and allowing some users to access voice and data simultaneously over LTE for the first time.

Article Link: LTE Speeds of iPhone 6 and iPhone 5s Compared in New Video

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
I can definitely verify this. About two weeks ago I did a speed test on the T-Mobile network using my new iPhone 6 Plus and I achieved this speed test. What amazes me more than the speed is the low latency.
971552956.png

Last edited:

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I don't know whether this would matter for me. My AT&T LTE is always much slower than the maximum theoretical anyway.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
*shrug*

Give me better ping on my soft capped speed and a higher soft cap.

That'd make a difference!

PS: I'm aware that Apple is not the one to address.

Glassed Silver:mac

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
With all of the new features and improvements of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, I can't help but think that my pitiful 5C is a piece of junk compared to them. I can't freaking wait to get my iPhone 6S next year!

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Be careful with testing your speed too much if you have a data cap on your plan as you can easily burn through your cap with these tests.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I've had 50 on my 5s on Tmobile. Just sayin

Edit: I just looked through my results, second best was 50 down. Best was 63. T-Mobile is great. When they have a tower around. Otherwise thank goodness I have an ATT phone too.

Last edited:

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Call me paranoid

Whats to prevent a provider like AT&T or Verizon from detecting when you are connecting to one of these speed test servers and optimizing your traffic so their network looks as good as possible? Seems like the only indepdent and truly accurate way to verify network speed would be to test using a custom app that runs against random servers that the providers can't precache before hand.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I can definitely verify this. About two weeks ago I did a speed test on the T-Mobile networking using my new iPhone 6 Plus and I achieved this speed test. What amazes me more than the speed is the low latency.

That's amazing LTE speed with Tmobile USA.

If someone can replicate those same speeds inside 1950s style concrete build Cold War buildings with tmobile. Let me know. That Tmobile biggest weakness inside thick old buildings

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I've had 50 on my 5s on Tmobile. Just sayin

And this article is claiming speeds of 100+. The first comment shows 90 on TMobile. So yeah.

----------

That's amazing LTE speed with Tmobile USA.

If someone can replicate those same speeds inside 1950s style concrete build Cold War buildings with tmobile. Let me know. That Tmobile biggest weakness inside thick old buildings

I would switch to tmobile today if I could so much as get edge speed in a building. No Service for me at work. Forced to stick with ATT or Verizon who have bands with good building penetration.

harleyb

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
I'm getting even higher speeds in Toronto, at my office near Dufferin and Dupont. Good thing I'm still on the grandfathered 6GB plan!
974613217.png

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I would switch to tmobile today if I could so much as get edge speed in a building. No Service for me at work. Forced to stick with ATT or Verizon who have bands with good building penetration.

I am in San Francisco Bay Area and I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile about a month ago.

I am getting about 80/25 on upgraded towers and 20/10 on slower towers. And I love HD audio/VoLTE audio quality, which rivals Skype and FaceTime Audio call quality.

Having said that, both the indoor and rural receptions are definitely worse than AT&T. And my wife has experienced many dropped calls on iPhone 5s. I have iPhone 6 and it is experiencing far fewer call drops (my wife will be upgrading to 6 Plus but estimate delivery is November 7).

To be fair, T-Mobile's support has been excellent and they sent us free 802.11ac Wi-Fi router and LTE cell signal booster for home use (must be returned if we terminate the service). And T-Mobile will be migrating all EDGE towers to LTE towers by next year, which is encouraging as we get EDGE signals in many more areas than 3G or LTE.

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
I'd like to see this test run with a larger amount of data. I don't think it's possible with this app, though. It seems like the test is over before it has a chance to reach full speed.

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
I am in San Francisco Bay Area and I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile about a month ago.

I am getting about 80/25 on upgraded towers and 20/10 on slower towers. And I love HD audio/VoLTE audio quality, which rivals Skype and FaceTime Audio call quality.

Having said that, both the indoor and rural receptions are definitely worse than AT&T. And my wife has experienced many dropped calls on iPhone 5s. I have iPhone 6 and it is experiencing far fewer call drops (my wife will be upgrading to 6 Plus but estimate delivery is November 7).

To be fair, T-Mobile's support has been excellent and they sent us free 802.11ac Wi-Fi router and LTE cell signal booster for home use (must be returned if we terminate the service). And T-Mobile will be migrating all EDGE towers to LTE towers by next year, which is encouraging as we get EDGE signals in many more areas than 3G or LTE.

Yea same thing here in Houston for the most part. However T-Mobile makes up for the bad indoor connection with wifi calling and texting.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I routinely get between 60-80 down on Verizon here at home in the energy corridor in Houston. I'd max out 35 on my iPhone 5. Not sure if it's because XLTE though.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Meanwhile I'm happy with 50 Mbps down on my home internet. These are crazy speeds, quite amazing.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Wow. I can only manage 5Mbps here in the DC area on AT&T LTE. (5s).

I think the highest I've seen was maybe 8 or 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.