LTE static hiss buzz sound

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SolRayz, Nov 12, 2012.

1. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I do a lot of streaming radio in my car, and I couldn't help but notice that when LTE is being accessed there is a faint buzzing static sound that can be heard through my car speakers, This stops when I switch to 4G. I never had this with iPhone 4 on 3G. Kind of reminds me of the data buzz you would get on Edge, but not nearly as bad.

Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe a limitation of LTE or possibly hardware related?

2. brentsg macrumors 68030

I had this issue with my 4S, except not with LTE obviously.

3. TBONE72 macrumors regular

AT&T just turned on LTE in my area and I am now getting the same thing over my clock radio/alarm clock speaker on my nightstand (near where I place my iPhone to charge overnight). Never had that with 3G. It's like were back in the Edge days with the first iPhone.

4. SolRayz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

So I take it that this is an LTE thing and not a hardware issue on my end?

5. TBONE72 macrumors regular

Yep, pretty sure that is the case. It's all about the frequencies.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You mean, this sound?

Yep, I've noticed it too. This noise is all I can hear at full volume when I have my noise-cancelling headphones turned on and LTE is running.

7. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Interesting. I do occasional streaming of music & podcasts in my car and haven't noticed this.

8. SolRayz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Yeah that would be it, although it seems much more pronounced in that audio clip. I really hope this is not a hardware defect with the iPhone 5's. Maybe a poor ground internally.

9. thatguyjeff macrumors newbie

I listen to the radio on a desk in my office. I get interference now when my iphone5 is within a couple feet of the radio.

They just turned on LTE in MSP a few days ago and this just started when LTE was turned on. No issues before that.

Just frequency interference with the radio signal apparently.

10. bugme macrumors newbie

It's because of the LTE, to fix, get a ground loop isolator, or this thingy: http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B0031U1ATQ (kensington noise reducing aux cable)

the phone isn't defective or anything. LTE, like GSM/EDGE, just causes a lot of noise as the radio switches on and off (a few hundred times a second) to create the buzz