Lugaru a new game from a mac dev :)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ringo, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

Everyone should try this : http://www.wolfire.com/lugaru.html

It's a great 3rd person action game.C'mon give it a try. support small mac game devlopper

Info for the game i took from the website.
    Overview:

Lugaru (pronounced Loo-GAH-roo) is a third-person action title. The main character, Turner, is an anthropomorphic rebel bunny rabbit with impressive combat skills. In his quest to find those responsible for slaughtering his village, he uncovers a far-reaching conspiracy involving the corrupt leaders of the rabbit republic and the starving wolves from a nearby den. Turner takes it upon himself to fight against their plot and save his fellow rabbits from slavery.

Lugaru’s primary feature is its unique combat system. Instead of relying on confusing button combinations to perform moves, Lugaru’s moves are all logical and context sensitive. For example, if an opponent aims a roundhouse kick at Turner’s head, you can crouch and then stand up under the attack to grab your assailant’s leg and kick him away. If you try and punch an opponent and he tries to throw you over his shoulder, you can crouch to roll painlessly out of the throw. This new combat system makes fights look and feel much more intense and believable than in any other game. You can see it in action with the gameplay movies above.

However, if straight close-range combat with hands, knives, swords and staves is not your style, you can also use stealth, but you have to be smart about it. If you cut a wolf’s throat, be sure to wipe the blood off your knife or another wolf might smell it. Enemy rabbits have very keen hearing, so be sure to walk quietly, and kill enemies before they make too much noise or run to alert their friends. Also, if they do bring their friends, don’t expect them to stupidly take turns fighting you. It is not unusual for one enemy to sweep your feet out from under you and another to smash you while you fall.

Because of the emphasis on gameplay, the graphics are designed to let the game run as smoothly as possible. It should run at full speed at full detail on any system with a 700 mhz processor and Geforce 3 or better graphics card. It should run acceptably on any system with a 300 mhz processor and Rage 128 or better graphics card. While models do not have as many polygons as in some new commercial games, there is an unprecedented amount of detail where it actually matters. If an enemy shatters his staff on your skull then your vision will unfocus slightly for a few seconds. Jumping through trees creates a shower of leaves (and snow if it is in a cold area). Landing an especially solid blow to the head can spatter blood on the wall and knock out a couple teeth. If you throw a knife into a wolf, blood will drip down his fur as he yanks out the knife and uses it against you. It is even possible to smash enemies so hard into walls that the surface cracks. Motion blur makes fast movement easier to track.

Technical Features:
    •Fast terrain engine with texture blending, footprints, and transparent fog
    •Unique fast-paced combat system with weapons, attack reversals, and counter-reversals.
    •Skeletal animation with rag-doll physics and hand and face expressions
    •Motion blur and many other effects.

2. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Cool! I have waited for this game, will be fun to try out.

I think it's a bad move of them to not let you use more detailed graphics, tho. I could have turned everything to minimum on my 700GHz, but people with G5s should have been able to turn on more graphics than what my computer can bare.

Lets face it; graphics sell! :)

Will write a little review of the game soon.

3. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I played through the game a couple of times. It's a fun game. Fast action, very good combat system, but..

There is no health bar! I never know how close I am to dying.
    The levels are a bit chopped up. (at least in the demo, but it seems they get bigger towards the end.)

It's a hard game. I had to have it on easy the first time, because there is a lot to remember with the combat system. I managed on hard the second time around, tho. There was a good tutorial in the game, but with all the commands it would have been nice with a drop-down box with all the commands aswell. (Maybe you could reach it with TAB or ENTER or Command+C or something)

Again, this game is sort of revolutionary. I haven't played anything quite like it before. (Well, it reminds me of an old Commodore-game with a ninja-rabbit, but..) I definitely think it is worth the $20!

4. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Oh, and a couple of screenshots, just incase people see this is a small developer release and don't bother checking it out.. (you definitely should check out the videos! The one in the middle is definitely my favourite! -you'll also see the motion blur they talk about. Sometimes it makes the game unplayable imo. But it does make the game seem faster.)

Severeal weapons available:
    [​IMG]

I like the way you can counter every kind of attack opponents throw at you:
    [​IMG]

Using staffs and sticks:
    [​IMG]

5. applekid macrumors 68020

I've been following this game since its beta versions from a couple of years ago. I'll have to check out this final version sometime. I'll say a few things based on the beta I tried:

The combat system was great, but I didn't like the AI because it just comes right after you too quickly and way too ruthlessly. But for the number of opponents per level, I guess it's alright. It wasn't too much trouble defeating them once you get used to the controls.

I'm getting the feeling the levels still have no connection to each other (from what people have posted here), and there's no real story. I was hoping that would be resolved soon, but it apparently hasn't.

6. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Sorry - I was wrong! There is a story!

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Interesting game.

Isn't Lugaru a werewolf and not a (killer) bunny rabbit? :D

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Hmm ... that was cool. I don't know if the demo has changed, or what, but I do get a story.

It is very well done, but I'm more into strategy games myself, so I don't think I'll buy it.

9. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I just realized there is a story! :) I just did the challenge-thingie, and thought that did the same use as clicking the village. So I've edited my posts.

I'm just starting to realize how intricate the fighting-system is. I used to be less agressive, waiting for people to get up before pounding them again. I realize now, that to be good in this game you have to kick them when they are laying on the ground! (I don't like it, nor do I like that you can kick the dead bodies.. The game is somewhat grotesque in that aspect, nevertheless it's a great game.)

10. Ringo thread starter macrumors regular

Ringo

actually, i think there is some werewolf involved in the later level of the game, so my prediction are that the werewolf are kind of the hardest enemy in this or the brain of those attack or both. :D

11. Sap macrumors newbie

Your vision should get blurry when you are on the verge of death. Also, your rabbit will pant when he's hurt and stops when he recovers. There are a lot of subtle features in Lugaru.

12. Sap macrumors newbie

There definitely is a story. There's dialog and everything. There must be like 30 levels in the campaign mode. The AI is also much better now. (I was a beta tester too.)

13. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Yeah, I've noticed the blur if I enable it in preferences - which I don't because of speed. And the panting, I still don't know how much health I have left. I didn't know about the recovering, tho.. :confused: when/how does he recover?

14. applekid macrumors 68020

It's a changed game. I just downloaded, played for a few minutes (not much time), and was surprised.

I think the fighting system reminds me of some of the current console games. I think Zelda and Resident Evil 4 in particulars. They had one button that basically did everything automatically based on what was happening in game. In Zelda, you might add a little direction to your attack, but just hitting the attack button a couple of times will automatically do moves. In RE4, they have an action button that does anything that's right for the situation. For example, run towards a window, and you'll break through it with a press of a button.

Now there's a story to Lugaru (yay!) and some depth. Excellent. Hope to have fun once I get a chance to play the demo completely.