Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Anyone have any recommended luggage brands and/or models? My current luggage is showing its age, and I'm looking for something wheeled and durable.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I have a small Samsonite that's made as a carry-on. It holds a ton. I also have a Delsey that can piggy-back on the Samsonite. I use it as a stand-alone every day to tote all my stuff back and forth to school.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Anyone have any recommended luggage brands and/or models? My current luggage is showing its age, and I'm looking for something wheeled and durable.

Samsonite is very good - and their warranties are excellent. Actually, most of my suitcases are of that brand, and I have had a few of them for over a decade that have traveled the world - quite literally - with me.

Lufthansa - the German airline - also promote and stock some pretty good stuff, and my mother rather liked some of the stuff made by Mandarina Duck.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks Alli and 'Scribe.

What's difficult is finding carry-ons that fit United and Delta now that both have shrunk their maximum sizes because manufacturers it seems only include the dimensions of the suitcase itself, not including the wheels and handles.

http://www.ebags.com/buyingguides/luggage-and-travel/TSA-Luggage-Regulations#.VmNE5MrB8n9

Well, for carryons, most of the time, I, personally, use a reindeer leather rucksack that I bought in Stockholm over five years ago. It is soft, yet sturdy, is very accommodating, and can be squashed easily into over head bins. But, that, obviously, is not what most people can use.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Travelpro.

Used by air crews and friends of mine who travel worldwide, 30+ times a year (also used by me :))

Direct, Amazon, there's an online outlet store with greatly reduced prices. Lots of size, material/construction options plus a terrific warranty.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Samsonite I bought (almost but not quite an impulse buy) in the Sharper Image store at the Atlanta airport. It's sized for the overhead bins. The Delsey is sized to fit under the seat of most planes.

Samsonite is a very good standard, I also use this for carry-on.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6393...rc:cse.google.0FVK621000,cvo_crid:57704170040

For the past twenty or so years, I have used nothing else. I have found them excellent. Moreover, they honour their (quite generous) warranties.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Costco Kirkland brand. Save all the extras that come with it even if you don't use them. When you have any problem take it back to Costco for full refund. Take back those extras you saved.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013

I use the eagle creek folders and packing cubes. They are awesome. The folders come in two different sizes, a smaller on that works best for women's shirts, etc and a larger one that does better with men's shirts and pants, etc. the best part about them is you just take them out and stick them in the drawers at your destination and you are instantly unpacked. you can pull individual items out using the folding card without unpacking the full stack.

The cubes are great too because you can stuff them full of socks, etc and they then stack neatly in your bag.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
I use the eagle creek folders and packing cubes. They are awesome. The folders come in two different sizes, a smaller on that works best for women's shirts, etc and a larger one that does better with men's shirts and pants, etc. the best part about them is you just take them out and stick them in the drawers at your destination and you are instantly unpacked. you can pull individual items out using the folding card without unpacking the full stack.

The cubes are great too because you can stuff them full of socks, etc and they then stack neatly in your bag.

A small really won't work with men's shirts? I wear a medium shirt size.

The large is 20" in length and won't fit that suitcase. I could do the 17" long medium, though, I think.

fieldsphotos

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
A small really won't work with men's shirts? I wear a medium shirt size.

The large is 20" in length and won't fit that suitcase. I could do the 17" long medium, though, I think.

Oh, the small will work for men's shirts, it will just hold fewer of them. The big one doesn't work as well for the ladies shirts because hardly any of the shirt folds over the card if they are slim shirts. That's all.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Excellent choice! Same one I have. I also use the packing cubes, but mostly for the small things like socks and undies, or crushable garments that don't need to be folded as they are wrinkle-proof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.