Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I know there's the other thread going on all the new Microsoft products announced today, but I wanted to focus on the phones, particularly the Lumia 905.

I was about to go to the Apple Store and buy a 64GB 6s, but Microsoft, at least spec-wise, seems to have a really good phone. The Lumia has 32GB + microSD storage, removable battery, Quad HD AMOLED, and it's $200 less than a 64GB 6s.

Right now, the primary thing keeping me with an iPhone is continuity among my phone, iPad Air, and rMBP.

Here is Engadget's spec comparison.

Any thoughts?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
my thoughts are that Im thinking about it too :p

first Ive seen $549 pricing, very reasonable, cant believe the battery is removable.

the debate rages on: Iphone 6s v z5 compact v Lumia 950

Reactions: rbrian

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
For me personally, it's not about the specs as much as it's about the ecosystem and though it's become cliche, the apps. I live in a primarily Apple hardware world heavily using Google and Apple services, 2 things that don't play too well with Windows phones. So as nice as the hardware looks (I think the 950 XL looks terrific), it doesn't make a difference if the services I rely on aren't available.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that I want one NOW DAMMIT! :p

• Removable (and huge) battery? Check
  • MicroSD slot? Check
  • Updates directly from Microsoft without any carrier interference? Check
  • Continuum? Check
  • Great camera? Check
  • Instantly unlock my phone without typing in my password? Check

Truthfully though I can't leave Android ecosystem since I don't have a texting plan on AT&T (but do have grandfathered unlimited data that I'll never give up) and refuse to pay an extra $30/mo for unlimited texting on my family plan so I rely upon Google Hangouts for SMS texting instead... an app not available on Windows Phone.

Still, competition is good. I'm glad to have these Lumia's as options in case Hangouts ever comes to Windows Phone and I feel the urge to switch. In the meantime I still love my Note 4 (sensing a removable battery and microSD slot theme for me yet?) and will happily use it as it's not lacking anything whatsoever for me.

Last edited:

ee4life

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
I know there's the other thread going on all the new Microsoft products announced today, but I wanted to focus on the phones, particularly the Lumia 905.

I was about to go to the Apple Store and buy a 64GB 6s, but Microsoft, at least spec-wise, seems to have a really good phone. The Lumia has 32GB + microSD storage, removable battery, Quad HD AMOLED, and it's $200 less than a 64GB 6s.

Right now, the primary thing keeping me with an iPhone is continuity among my phone, iPad Air, and rMBP.

Here is Engadget's spec comparison.

Any thoughts?

I actually just bought a 6s Plus and I am intrigued by the Lumia 950. I did find it interesting that it does not have LTE band 30 and yet it is an AT&T exclusive. It does, however, have band 12, so an unlocked phone might be quite nice on T-Mobile depending on where you live.

Ultimately I will probably wait and see if developer support improves with Windows 10, but I'm not yawning and ignoring as I did with previous Lumia announcements.

Reactions: rbrian

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
I would jump ship from android if they had the apps.

Although with the way people are adopting the windows 10 very quickly (100 million in 8 weeks!), and the fact Xbox and surface pro fans continue to buy the products, It's only a matter of time universal applications will be made.

Also earlier in the year Microsoft said they will release a quick way for developers to port apps didn't they?

For me the software of windows 10 mobile looks beautiful.

Reactions: Altis

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I'm not an apps person, but I heavily use Google services. I'd jump ship to Windows and this phone in a heartbeat if I can get Google apps on it as well as the ability to chromecast from a Windows phone. I find the Windows platform has the smoothest navigation among it, iOS, and Android.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Looks like it's GSM only. I'm on Selectel, a Verizon MVNO. I'm open to a prepaid GSM carrier such as Cricket, but I'm not open to a phone that doesn't include CDMA radios needed for Verizon towers. Guess I'm back to the 6s. It's a shame because the price is good on the Lumia 950 and I like the 32GB / microSD card and removable battery.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Definitely a very appealing phone to me. My iPhone 6 is getting on my nerves.

The only thing I want to be able to have is some kind of data-based MMS, like iMessage. I'm hoping the new version of Skype for Windows Phone 10 will integrate well.

I honestly don't really care much for apps anymore beyond the mainstream ones. Look in the app store at the top 100 of pretty much any category and none of it is really interesting. It's nice to have app support for a third party device or service, I suppose.

Reactions: Broadus

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Cheap plastic back means a no go from the start.

Will wait till they make it out of magnesium like their tablets/ surface book. Hopefully by then their app store will have improved.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
I was excited..now im not sure..nothing about windows phone 10 and the porting of ios and android apps like they initially said it could possibly do..also the phone to desktop mode should have been wireless not wired

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At this point for me at least, the windows phone platform is not a good fit. I think this is too little too late in a sense.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I was excited..now im not sure..nothing about windows phone 10 and the porting of ios and android apps like they initially said it could possibly do..also the phone to desktop mode should have been wireless not wired
I think it's supposed to work wirelessly too. I heard it being said in a few of the hands on videos but I CBA to find the exact ones right now. Anyhow here's what The Verge said about it already back in May:

While Microsoft simply showed a mocked-up simulation on stage at Build, in a separate session the company provided a full demonstration of Continuum for Phones, along with more information about the feature. It works by connecting up to a wired dock or using Miracast wirelessly. Microsoft is even supporting wireless dongles where you use the phone as a controller with a software touchpad and keyboard.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Cheap plastic back means a no go from the start.

Will wait till they make it out of magnesium like their tablets/ surface book. Hopefully by then their app store will have improved.

I agree, but there are inklings that nice backs will be produced. Some company, Movo something I think, posted some pics of some beautiful leather backs for the 950xl, supposedly they are doing aluminum ones too.

I'm a bit bummed that the 950xl is thicker than the 6s+ and the Nexus P though, that with the plastic back and the stupid Microsoft logo on the front have me bummed out. I'm going to the MS store in a bit to see the 950xl in person though.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I agree, but there are inklings that nice backs will be produced. Some company, Movo something I think, posted some pics of some beautiful leather backs for the 950xl, supposedly they are doing aluminum ones too.

I'm a bit bummed that the 950xl is thicker than the 6s+ and the Nexus P though, that with the plastic back and the stupid Microsoft logo on the front have me bummed out. I'm going to the MS store in a bit to see the 950xl in person though.

I have tried the 950 xl in store and it's terrific. I have an iPhone 6 and an Apple Watch and I am not sure I want to jump in again, I had a Lumia 900 long time ago.

Build quality is good, screen is fantastic, Windows 10 looks very good (way better than WP 7). I don't know about the iris recognition, I assume it works as described.

I am very tempted.

Reactions: Broadus

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have tried the 950 xl in store and it's terrific. I have an iPhone 6 and an Apple Watch and I am not sure I want to jump in again, I had a Lumia 900 long time ago.

Build quality is good, screen is fantastic, Windows 10 looks very good (way better than WP 7). I don't know about the iris recognition, I assume it works as described.

I am very tempted.

The 950XL is stunning in person, I'm quite impressed by the display, and this is from a long time Note 4 user. I'm still kind of miffed at the backplate, you pop it off like a phone from 5 years ago, but I'm holding out hope for an aftermarket cover. The only caveat and reason I'm not getting a 950xl quite yet is the lack of Google Voice, which I cannot live without.

shyg360

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2015

I am very tempted.
I own the lumia 950 and ill tell you its hands down the coolest phone I've ever had..picture quality is great, Windows Hello is amazing.. I will say the OS still needs a little polish bt Microsoft is now bypassing carriers with updates so I for see it getting better and better as the updates roll out

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Picking up a Lumia 950 xl from a tech buddy of mine tomorrow. Should be fun with playing with Win 10 mobile.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So I picked up a Lumia 950 yesterday morning.
I currently own a BlackBerry Priv as some of you may know from my posts, but that is my personal device and the 950 is going to be used for work.

I know many of you probably have zero interest in Windows Mobile and these now slightly older phones, but I thought I would post anyway just coz it's nice to have a post about something other than the Galaxy S7, Nexus 6p, and HTC 10.
I kid, I kid. Kinda.

I'd done a bit of research before deciding to go for it and I have 31 days to return it, should I see fit.

Right now though, I have no intentions of returning it.

I really like it. The build quality is questionable, but coming from a Priv, a back that doesn't creak is welcome... :p

The screen is gorgeous, and definitely a better panel than my Priv, which is a good screen in itself.
I set the iris scanner up and although hit and miss to begin with, it's like the phone has now learnt my eye :D as it works every single time without even a flicker of hesitation.
It's very very cool.

The app gap is definitely a problem, but that's something everyone is completely aware of now, so isn't probably worth mentioning.
The camera is incredible, and I have taken a number of comparison photos with the Priv, and it completely blows the Priv out of the water. I took side by side photos and the Lumia is just better in every aspect. The Priv camera was never a big strong point, but it wasn't a bad camera compared to some of the other Android devices.

I like the Windows 10 UI a lot, and think it's a nice blend between Android's mega customisation, and iOS's mega lack of!
The live tiles are nice, and seem to update and show all up to date information, something that didn't happen when I tried a Nokia 930 last year. That did't last long.

I do think that Windows 10, and these Lumia devices are head and shoulders above the 930. It feels and runs like a premium device, which I don't think was the case to begin with when they were released.
I'm on the latest software update which came out this month, and there have been zero problems thus far. Granted, I'm new to it, and it's not been properly tested yet, but no wi-fi drop outs, reboots, non loading apps / pages, or overheating.
And I know overheating owning a Priv. :confused:

So yeah. Could go on and on. But am sure no one is THAT interested. :D.
I thought I'd post about my experience anyway just in case anyone did have these devices on their radar. I'm sure I read they were doing a deal in America recently where if you bought the XL, you got the normal 950 free or something? o_O That CRAZY!

First time I've used 2 devices together for a while, quite enjoying how different they both are!
:)

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Spent a little more time with the Lumia now and it continues to impress me.

However when I go back to my Priv after using the 950, it does make me realise how completely different the handset experiences are.
But that's what I wanted. No point having 2 phones that do the same thing. Although in a perfect world, if I was loaded, I'd have about 7 different ones to play with! :p

The camera continues to be the stand out feature on the 950 and I took it with me on a walk with my dog last night.
The results completely blew me away when I uploaded them.
Uploading was the simplest thing ever with the One Drive function. Shows me all my camera roll photos and they can just be downloaded to your PC/Mac with one click.

I know Google Photo's does something similar? But I personally hate the Google Photos app and think its complete garbage. One of the sacrifices for having the Priv though, I guess.

Here's a couple of shots I took (unedited). I've had to upload them to photo bucket as they're too large for the server to process here. Hope it doesn't diminish the quality.

WP_20160716_20_26_34_Pro_zpsaxad9zfq.jpg

WP_20160716_20_24_33_Pro_zpsylqauemp.jpg

Definitely my dog walking phone now anyway!
:)

Reactions: iMi and Oohara
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.