Lust is relative (2 days to go)

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by GigaWire, Jan 5, 2002.

1. GigaWire macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Well there it is. Personally, I think Apple marketing has lost its marbles. Some of these comments have been so suggestive, if not outright subversive, but this one is just utter lunacy...

There had better be some G5's come Monday.

2. fukuhela macrumors member

NOPE - no G5

Apple is just practising hype - pure and simple. They want everybodys attention for the keynote. How else could a new product (that isn't that fantastic afterall) get very pouplar by the public??

Take the iPod: It was i really hyped. They even said it was revolutionary - c'mon it's a MP3-player. Though it is by far the best and most beautiful on the market it's far from being revolutionary.

My point is, that the iPod would not have got all this attention if Apple didn't hype it to more than it is. The exact same thing will happen on Monday, and we will all be very disappointed after the SJ has left the stage: No G5's and no LCD imac.

But still I'm excited to see what the new device is..

Ciaoo

3. AppleJunkie macrumors newbie

4. Naton Guest

ten = X

It has probably something to do with the "lust factor" being OS X itself.
    What full spead ahead means, I don't know...maybe just a fast processor...

5. MDOCOD macrumors newbie

maybe something crazy is coming

i got to thinking, perhaps, the oppollo project will land directly into the iMac/iBook/maybe TiBook line, while the G5 drops into the new high end machines. idunnooooo... though that would contradict something I've already posted in another forum, hmmmmm.

something I've been considering for somet time now is the posability of a lot more MP machines. OS X is unix based a more than ready for a pile of proccessors. A new case design is eminent for the iMac, it's been running like that fo 3 years, the flat panel iMac would make more room for some better inerds, like 2 proccessors, even if they were only say, G3s, 2 800+MHZ G3s under unix would be pretty impressive. If apple can't catch up with clock speeds, they can double up. Apple tends to make us consumers pay more than needed for hardware, tries to make us believe that moving up to a DP board from a SP board is a 700 dollar difference, nope, sorry. It's much closer to a 300-400 dollar difference, and then on top of that, it is already way overpriced. (3600 dollars can buy an DP athlon system that trounces the DP G4) So what I'm actually getting to here is the possability of a QUAD proccessing machine, the G4 supports it, it has since the beginning, and manufacture costs of an 800MHZ are probably low enough now to do just that. Maybe that's what apple is so hyped about.

Maybe apple will bring some harmony/equality to the entire line of comps, all desktops, (iMacs and Towers, could be DP machines) While mobiles would all remain single Proccessor machines. All machines accross the entire line might see combo drive and gigawire. (superdrive in Towers) The diferrent price ranges would reflect a wide range of proccessing power instead. Which in my opinion would bring more capabilities in a machine to anyone who chooses to buy one, and all they have to deside is if their dollar is worth the time.

Another consideration i would hope apple is taking into account is that since the bulk of apple hardware being sold is still a G3, software writers are more inclined to skip altivec support, which brings down the performace of their top machines, if all machines were converted to G4 or better, software writers would be more enthusiastic(spelling?) about making all software supportive of altivec, Thus making the apple line seem that mcuh faster, and actuall giving it the speed accross all apps it needs.

or perhaps it's 4:30 in the morning now and i still can't sleep, so i'm giving up now. And maybe everything i just typed is for not because i don't know why.

6. GigaWire thread starter macrumors 6502

that's what i thought when I first heard about Apollo. I can hardly see imacs and PowerMacs operating on the same chip, only a little faster, so their must be a G5

7. HexaPlus macrumors newbie

the i pod

I heard some people saying (right after the ipod was released) that the ipod was a substitute for something else that apple pulled at the last second...

Possible their latest device...?