Luxology previewed 'modo' - a new subdivision surface mode...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBytes, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Looks good and seems to have Lightwave compatibility, which is what I use, but there really isn't all that much info on *what* it is or how much its going to be.

Anyone have an inside clue on this?

D

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

you know -- luxology is a strange company..

I forget the details -- but the guys that started it have been real secretive. The Mac OS X demo at WWDC was the first actual product anyone had seen from them.

We'll see I guess.

The screenshots are interesting.

arn

3. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

It sounds to me like a high end modeller,ie Rhino competition only for Mac as well.Look at how sucessful Wings 3D has been.

Also looks like Mirai may be coming back :)

http://www.izware.com/

Maxon just released Bodypaint 3D 2 as well.An expensive upgrade but well worth it I think.

http://www.maxon.net/usa/index.html

Stu.

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I am not sure it is going to be a competition for Rhino, since it is a polygonal/Sub-D modeler (vs. NURBS in Rhino).

But I am intrigued at what the target user base is for this product. I mean, every major 3D package already comes with an extensive toolset for modeling. Luxology claims that you can setup modo to work/look like your current work environment in max, lightwave, maya etc... but why would you use it in the first place, rather than stick to an integrated package ? Is this supposed to be a complementary product to standalone animation programs (Motion Builder, Messiah, Animanium...) ? I guess we will find out soon.

p.s: Izware 'will be right back' for months now...;)

5. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Ah I didnt know izware was going to be right back for that long :D.Bay Raiit has been using Mirai to model the LOTR creatures I believe.I am also told by a number of people that {in their opinion} Mirai has the best modeller of all,so maybe if Modo had cracked something new and mega intuitive it could still be a modeller,maybe a new angle on normal mapping for instance?,but ya we will wait and see.

What do you think of Bodypaint 3D 2? ,I use 1 myself and 2 is a major upgrade.

Stu.

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

modo came out today, you can buy it online (download). Looking forward to reading actual reviews...

whoot